What's new

Different models, same manufacturer, completely different results. Very strange

I find it very strange how I can have completely different experiences with two different model of blades from the same manufacture. This happens a lot with me. Here are some examples:
  • Derby:
    • Extra Super Stainless - a really good blade that provides a smooth shave over multiple uses.
    • Premium Ceramic Platinum - Really awful blade that provides a rough shave and a lot of irritation.
  • Astra:
    • Superior Stainless - an outstanding blade that never fails to deliver across multiple shaves.
    • Superior Platinum - Mediocre at best, lousy at worst.
  • Personna:
    • Lab - a great blade that only occasionally delivers a mediocre a shave.
    • Platinum - Mediocre. By the fourth shave, I am more than happy to dump it.
  • Gillette:
    • 7 O'Clock Green - a really good performer that will occasionally have a bad one in the lot.
    • Permasharp - Again, mediocre. Time to bail on it after the fourth shave.
I hadn't really thought about it until I typed this, but I notice that all the "platinum" blades I've tried have been clunkers. I don't know what goes into making a "platinum" blade, but it sure doesn't get the job done relative to their non-platinum cousins.

Do any of you get the same experiences with different manufacturers?

Gilette is the only brand I have used several different blades from and since some of these are Indian, some Russian and most of them are a little bit different to the others but bad nope.
I actually like the black derby premium and not a fan of the extra. and have no issues with perma sharp or a 7 o clock green.
All highly depends on the razor and I still think even on the soap/prep.
And ultimately the user.

I find it very strange how I can have completely different experiences with two different model of blades from the same manufacture. This happens a lot with me. Here are some examples:

• Gillette:
    • 7 O'Clock Green - a really good performer that will occasionally have a bad one in the lot.
1612385263581.png
1612385220994.png
1612385338779.png

The green Permasharp is made in India. The green Super Stainless is made in Russia. They look almost the same. The similarly named Perma-Sharp Super is also a Russian blade.

Which Permasharp (Perma-Sharp) did you not like as much?

Very interesting how different options from the same manufacturer perform! And the ‘same’ blade can perform very differently in different razors!

For me, this is part of the FUN in trying different blades! :thumbup: :thumbup:

View attachment 1217687View attachment 1217686View attachment 1217688

The green Permasharp is made in India. The green Super Stainless is made in Russia. They look almost the same. The similarly named Perma-Sharp Super is also a Russian blade.

Which Permasharp (Perma-Sharp) did you not like as much?

The Green 7 O'Clock Super Stainless I have are made in Russia, as you noted. I like them.

The Perma-Sharp I have, which is in the gold and red box like the one on the far right of your photo, appears to have been made in Turkey. There's no English in the small print, but what I can make out is "Turkey" and "Istanbul". I got this box is a sample pack, off of Amazon I believe.

The Green 7 O'Clock Super Stainless I have are made in Russia, as you noted. I like them.

The Perma-Sharp I have, which is in the gold and red box like the one on the far right of your photo, appears to have been made in Turkey. There's no English in the small print, but what I can make out is "Turkey" and "Istanbul". I got this box is a sample pack, off of Amazon I believe.
Some years ago, the gold Perma-Sharp Super blades were made in Turkey. The newer ones are made in Saint Petersburg, Russia along with the other Gillette blades, but packaged to sell in Turkey.

I have had good results with the gold Perma-Sharp Supers. Amazon can be a crapshoot these days, though. You never know what you are buying.

• Derby:
    • Extra Super Stainless - a really good blade that provides a smooth shave over multiple uses.
    • Premium Ceramic Platinum - Really awful blade that provides a rough shave and a lot of irritation.
  • Astra:
    • Superior Stainless - an outstanding blade that never fails to deliver across multiple shaves.
  • Personna:
  • Gillette:
I hadn't really thought about it until I typed this, but I notice that all the "platinum" blades I've tried have been clunkers. I don't know what goes into making a "platinum" blade, but it sure doesn't get the job done relative to their non-platinum cousins.

This is how it is supposed to be. Most manufacturers aim to cover more users. Since every users needs are different (because of their prep, whiskers, creams, skin etc.) they make blades with different angle of grinding and different coatings.
Don't worry, I am one of those users, who like you find that usually if a brand make both Platinum and Stainless blades, most of the time the Stainless works better for me, because I have very heavy beard.

The same can be said for the yellow BIC Chrome Platinum and the red BIC Astor as well. For me, the yellow BIC is one of my best 3 blades, while the red BIC is amongst the worst blades i've ever tried. There are some theories floating around that both blades are the same and it's just different packaging, but I don't think so.

• Derby:
  • Astra:
  • Personna:
  • Gillette:

Switch to Feathers - problem solved 😎

Top Bottom