What's new

fine shave soap being discontinued

Good news! I received this e-mail from Fine Accoutrements, this morning. Looks like most (or all?) of the signature scents will eventually be returning in the new soap base:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Our New Shaving Soaps are Almost Ready

Our new line will be available for pre-order in 5 fragrances – American Blend, Latigo, Aquamarine, Snake Bite and Platinum – in the next week or two (with a couple more coming in early 2021)

proxy.php

Made in Italy with premium ingredients, Fine's 21st Century Shave Soap embodies the pinnacle of modern soapmaking craftsmanship.

proxy.php

Its easy-building, thick and creamy lather – featuring hyper-slickness, all-day skin-conditioning, and Mr. Fine's signature fragrances – delivers the ultimate in wet-shaving performance and satisfaction.

proxy.php

Stay tuned to email as we get closer to launch – it's the place where we'll announce when these shaving soaps are first available.

proxy.php

Happy shaving,

Todd Cerami
a.k.a. "Mr. Fine"
Founder & CEO

GREAT NEWS!! Hope the new base performs as well as the older one!!

that is good news. Don't tell SWMBO though! I just spent over $350 on a variety of Tabac (because I didn't check here first to see it likely won't be affected), Fine American Blend in a tube (one from Spain and two from England), as well as Lavender and Platinum pucks from RE. Merry Christmas to me, i guess!

that is good news. Don't tell SWMBO though! I just spent over $350 on a variety of Tabac (because I didn't check here first to see it likely won't be affected), Fine American Blend in a tube (one from Spain and two from England), as well as Lavender and Platinum pucks from RE. Merry Christmas to me, i guess!
You should feel good about the hard puck purchases, IMO.

It's unlikely that the new croap base is going to be as great.

(Sent from mobile)

Me too on tabac 🙈

As of today there are two different Fine soaps in the new Italian base:

AB.png

latigo.png

The new Fine soaps now dubbed as "21st Century Soap" come in a bigger and more expensive 5 Oz pucks. €24 in Italy VS the €17 of the old ones.

The tallow base seems promising:
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Coco Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Castor Oil, Fragrance (Parfum), Potassium Hydroxide, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Tallow Acid, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium carbonate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool.

Water in the first place means it will likely be a soft soap, not a hard puck like the previous iteration.

Also TFS might not be the producer, it could be made by the same people who produce Goodfellas'/Officina Artigiana soaps (Coconut/Castor/Argan/Jojoba oils in the same order)

Last edited:
Without much more than superficial recognition, the mango butter seems promising. The Sudsy Soapery formula based on mango butter is really damn good.

The Goodfellas soaps are awesome! I have burned through the inferno and the now I'm working through the Furiah, really great stuff, I really like it, and they are winners.

I have never tried the Fine brand of soaps and aftershaves, but after the dust settles, I might just be so inclined as to pull the trigger on one.

I can't help myself, but I think "The Goodfellas Smile" or maybe "Extro".

Goodfellas'/Officina Artigiana are the same producer. They choose to differentiate brands to elevate the Officina Artigiana to a more premium status. Also the fact The Goodfellas Smile store was the first to carry the new Fine soaps may be a clue.

The Extro base is a bit different and relies almost always on Shea butter and Calendula oils. Also their soap are higher in Potassium Hydroxide content. The premium Goodfellas' formula is a lot more similar to Fine's.

Last edited:
The Goodfellas soaps are awesome! I have burned through the inferno and the now I'm working through the Furiah, really great stuff, I really like it, and they are winners.

I have never tried the Fine brand of soaps and aftershaves, but after the dust settles, I might just be so inclined as to pull the trigger on one.

Inferno is good but it is still produced in the basic and old Goodfella's tallow formula:
Ingredients: Acqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Tallow, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha Isomethyl, Ionone.

Then there's the better and richer AJ-1 base of the new Furiah (among others):
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Prunus Amydgalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin Linalool.

At last the premium base they produce as "Officina Artigiana" This would be my candidate as a starting point for the Fine's new Formula:
Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool

Note the same heavy use of Castor Oil. There are difference of course, Fine has its own dedicated base with Mango Butter and Tallow + some added preservatives. Officina Artigiana is a vegan "natural" soap.

Of course it's all my speculation and one day we will discover it's actually made by TFS :lol:

Goodfellas'/Officina Artigiana are the same producer. They choose to differentiate brands to elevate the Officina Artigiana to a more premium status. Also the fact The Goodfellas Smile store was the first to carry the new Fine soaps may be a clue.

The Extro base is a bit different and relies almost always on Shea butter and Calendula oils. Also their soap are higher in Potassium Hydroxide content. The premium Goodfellas' formula is a lot more similar to Fine's.

With the Extro just a mybe, but if I had to bet, I would vote for Goodfellas.

The new Fine soap is made by Barbieri Uniti (the maker of Goodfellas among others) and it is croap (as expected).

Here's a review in Italian:

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom