What's new

Mild razor for a beginner

Wilkinson Sword Black Plastic DE Razor -To learn to cultivate a light touch. Also a very forgiving razor with covered blade tabs for safety

Astra SP are pretty sharp for me..... I would recomend Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India), Woskhod or GSB.
An perhaps he should try Henson AL or KingCGillette (blue package).
Whatever razor+blade combination there is a learning curve... so .... in time it will get better.

Astra SP are pretty sharp for me..... I would recomend Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India), Woskhod or GSB.
An perhaps he should try Henson AL or KingCGillette (blue package).
Whatever razor+blade combination there is a learning curve... so .... in time it will get better.
As always, YMMV...
Astra SP is a very mild and comfortable blade for me while the SS is much sharper and not as smooth.

Well, the poor guy sent me a message this morning.
It was a bloody mess, almost a massacre on his face with the Ball End and Astra SS so I think he would have killed him self with a R41... 😁
Don't keep changing stuff. This dude either learns with what you gave him which is good stuff, or he won't. Some people just cannot! I would advice he go slow and NO pressure and NO side movements. And start doing ONE pass WTG shave.

If I can give my two cents, the absolute best mild razor for a beginner is the King C Gillette Walgreens. Proven head, a hefty brass handle and a tuck of the finest blades produced today for around $13 (€10 today with coupon in Europe).

IMHO the best "first" DE razor for a new wet shaver is the Henson AL13. I have given two of them away to millennial age new wet shavers and had great success. They are both still in the game, and love it. No blood and no weepers since the angle of shave is automatic due to the head design. Also, the blade exposure is nearly non-existent, and there is zero blade chatter. The Henson is by far the easiest to use and the safest DE razor you can give to a younger new wet shaver. It takes only a couple of shaves to get the necessary technique to be successful. Shaving success, with no blood is what keeps new wet shavers in the game. Henson was designed to convert cartridge/disposable razor users to DE. Lastly, my wife ditched her cartridge razors for the Henson (mild version) to shave her legs.

Should have given him a few tips on using the DE. He probably used it like a cartridge razor. :001_unsur
I gave him a lot of tips and info, and he had already watched a lot of youtube videos on how to shave with a DE razor.
And I specifically told him NOT to use a DE razor like a cartridge razor and he said he heard it from several youtube videos already ;)

Best starter is a Rockwell 6C or 6S. Shaving is such a YMMV thing that if you recommend a razor that doesn't work for him, you might be scaring him away for good. The Rockwell razors are priced reasonably and there should be one plate that works for him. Plus, it's fun to try out the different plates over a period of time and see how variable shaving can be. Kind of gets people locked in.

Top Bottom