What's new

What is the opposite of a lubricant?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a tablet that is used for a check in kiosk mounted to an articulating arm. The issue is that the arm is supposed to be articulate horizontally, and I have it mounted vertically to accommodate kids and adults. Over time the joints have started to droop instead of bearing the weight of the device. Is there anything that can be applied to increase the friction in the joints instead of retightening the bolts every so often?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
This is the apparatus I'm talking about

proxy.php

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would suggest fitting rubber (neoprene) washers. You may have to make them yourself out of say a tyre inner tube. Another option would be rubber "O" rings.
I forgot to tag you my friend! I knew someone brainiac-ish would come along!

Some nylon washers? I am not sure if such an arm stand will be able to hold its weight properly in its design. A silly alternate might be to keep the stand rigid and keep a small one foot pedestal or step for kids to step on instead of swinging the arm each time ?

If they start sagging it means bushes have shrunk or are worn out.

Take the caps of and mark the screws so you know if these unscrew due to moving the table.
If this is the case you could try a locking washer.
Taking it apart and fully degreasing and cleaning might help
An extra thin rubber washer or even sliver of duc tape in between can work to immobilize the joint.

The big question do you need it to lock up in a position permanent which is relative easy or keep it fully adjustable all the time which is difficult

Take the joints apart and fill with heavy silicone grease would be my suggestion. The friction comes usually comes from tension applied by a screw.

Top Bottom