What's new

The Ammo Shortage

This is not the first nor the last time we are going through this so when places were stocked I bought. Looking back, it's good I did.
The other thing is, I wish we saw the laws of economics applied to the ammo market. Manufacturers wont raise prices, big sellers neither(correct if I m wrong but at least last time it was like that, I am not paying much attention this time) and then you have resellers run in, grab everything and make money. If the prices were adjusted for demand at the source, raised, then there would be less incentive to hoard, resell etc and make things much worse.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This is not the first nor the last time we are going through this so when places were stocked I bought. Looking back, it's good I did.
The other thing is, I wish we saw the laws of economics applied to the ammo market. Manufacturers wont raise prices, big sellers neither(correct if I m wrong but at least last time it was like that, I am not paying much attention this time) and then you have resellers run in, grab everything and make money. If the prices were adjusted for demand at the source, raised, then there would be less incentive to hoard, resell etc and make things much worse.

While I agree it’s not the first, I don’t think I can be as confident as you saying it’s not the last.

I will obey and follow the rules here of no politics, surely we can all agree, these are unprecedented times?

And why are these unprecedented times? Because people and forces are doing unprecedented things.

From Webster’s Dictionary:

Unprecedented- Things that have never been done or seen before.

Not seeing ammo on the shelves is not unprecedented. But it never returning to it’s once former glory, definitely would qualify for this definition.

As always, I hope and pray I am wrong. :)

The last gun show I attended, in December, had a few vendors selling remanufactured ammo at about a 15-20% increase. I didn't attend the latest gun show held by the same group but in a different town. However, two friends that went said there were more than six vendors selling their ammo. He said it was as if all the vendors agreed upon the same price which was about 25% above their usual prices. However, they told me there was absolutely no brand name ammo for sale and almost all of the ammo up for sale was FMJ.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Went to the flea market today, where I got that good 30-cal mold.

Found the guy. "Hey, where's your other molds? ," I asked. "Sell them on eBay?"

He shook his head. "Took 'em home. Gonna sell bullets."

We discussed component swaps, but I have SPPs, and don't need lead... 🤔

AA

P1000766.JPG
P1000766.JPG

Brass collected from local range over the past 6-8 months. Gallon bag of 45 Auto not shown. Nearly all of this is once-fired and the rifle brass (half of which is Lake City) is 100% once fired as primer pockets are all crimped.

My ammo closet looks like I have been hoarding ammo, but it isn't because I have been buying it up all at once. My closet is proof, that buying a box here or a couple boxes there, will add up over the years.
Same here, plenty of powder, primers, bullets, & loaded ammo. I had gotten into some not common calibers such as 9.3x57, so when I could bought a supply of brass and bullets to last me a lifetime. I also have molds, and plenty of alloyed lead for casting, so am set for a long, long time.

The range I use is 50 miles one way, so don't get there very often. Thanksgiving when my son and grandson was here the grandson who had never shot before was really wanting to do so so it warranted a trip to the range. He loved it, so much he wanted to go back the next day, which we did. He went through at least a brick, probably more of .22, liking my Ruger 77-22 better than the 10-22 or Marlin 39a Mountie. Also liked a little Ruger Single six.

I had gotten my old Feinwerkbau 124d air rifle out to use in the yard, but the piston seal had disintegrated so I had sent it off for repair, and finally got it back last week. I also have a match grade FWB 300 which is a hoot, and have been shooting them some. I have been wanting a bit more power and range so placed an order for a Diana 54 Air King Pro in .22, still a spring air type, but highly rated for trigger, power and accuracy, and a HW75 single stroke Pneumatic pistol, again rated for accuracy and good trigger,. The plus on the trigger is size and form resembles my S&W M41 or a Colt 1911. At current ammo prices I can probably shot 2500-3000 rounds of air gun for less than the price of a brick of "cheap" 22LR, not even considering cost of going to the range.

Long and winding response-
Sorry for the repeat if it is so- right now the only way one is buying ammo and components at anything close to pre pandemic pricing is getting "lucky" at big box stores (cabelas/scheels/academy/bass pro etc.) who, for a variety or reasons, are not charging "market price."

I am told that most of the BBS here are stocking what they have either right before closing or at opening so the line of guys waiting to buy ammo when the doors open can be served. 2 box /100 rd limits for many centerfire calibers is now the norm. Many local gun stores are only selling ammo now if you buy a gun.

I have gotten lucky 2x at cabela's on sundays near closing- 9mm @ 26 per 100, powder at 30 @ lb, .45 cal bullets @ 65 per 500.
Not great precovid but fantastic right now.

I am 55. I have been shooting/training/reloading since 1990. I have seen these market cycle machinations in some form in 94 (Assault Weapons Ban), late 04-06 (Sunset of AWB), 08-09 (Election of Obama 1/Market fall), 12-13 (Election of Obama 2/Sandy Hook),17-19 (Election of Trump).

My loadstar used to be 1000 rds of ammo on hand of 9mm/.40 cal/.45 ACP/5.56. I chose this number as that is a number that would get me thru the vast majority of 2/3 day shooting classes on a moment's notice. Presumably, if I set the class, months out, I would have time to stock up.

I am cautiously optimistic that the market will ultimately correct again as it has in the last 30 years.

Having said that, certainly since Sandy Hook, if you are an adult and remotely interested in shooting etc. and do not own an AR and a Glock 19 or their functional equivalents in your area, few hundred rounds for each and 3 extra mags for each, you are not paying attention.

In the meantime-Dry Fire/Us .22 cal when you can/have a 50-100 rd written training plan when you live fire and stick to it.

To every thing there is a season. This too shall pass.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good post David.

While making sure to stay clear of not talking politics or 2nd Amendment. If gun bans, buy backs, confiscations were ever to commence. It would be AR’s first. Then 10 rounds for your Glocks next. Then all semi autos after that.

Not saying it will happen, just if it ever does. Shotguns, bolts, lever actions and revolvers, I want to own more of, believe it or not. :)

Cheaper Than Dirts' ammo sales serve two customer bases: the filthy rich and the stupidly desperate who lacked the foresight to stock up on ammo during the salad days of the past 5-6 years when supplies were plentiful and prices were relatively low. CTD's CEO made this abundantly clear in a FB post nine months ago. To paraphrase he said that if you lacked personal responsibility and ignored what was coming then it sucks to be you....that those who ignored the warnings will experience "stress, shortages, and high prices" (his words, not mine).

In before the "Texas AG busted them for price gouging" crowd. CTD did not get in trouble for the advertised price of ammunition...they got in trouble when they added additional fees to completed online purchases.

Don't worry. $120+ for a box of 9mm FMJ is coming soon enough Cheaper Than Dirt! or no Cheaper Than Dirt!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I strongly suspect that even when supply returns, we continue to see higher prices due to new taxes.

Top Bottom