What's new

Getting a Haircut during this Crisis, Hmmm?

Despite having shoulder length hair in the 70s, and wearing it styled and over the ear most of the 80s & 90s, I've had a buzz cut since back-to-back shoulder surgeries in the late 90s prevented me from blow-drying or brushing my hair. After the shoulders healed, I never went back to longer hair. I usually get a #1 buzz in summer and 1.5-2 in colder months. With barber shops closed for 3 months last year, I bought a Mangroomer last May. It works just fine for a short buzz. When done, I have my wife check to see if I missed anything and trim the back neckline if needed. Even if I was still going to a barber, the thing would be worth the money just to tame my eyebrows between shaves.

I'm late to the party, as usual.
I haven't been to the barbershop since December 2019 !

I got a real close hair cut that lasted me till February 2020, then I became complacent and put off going for the haircut.

I never liked going to barbershops and whenever I went for a haircut, I asked for a " recruit cut ", no fuss, no show, no trend whatsoever, just evergreen short hair on top and zero cut on the side around.

So, when March came, when my hair actually became out of control and being a hot summer here (45°C), I used my Philips Body Groomer for my head.

It got the job done, but I avoided any video calls for a month, then same thing happened in June.

By August, I decided to try to do a much better job of mowing my hair, it was a good effort, but still badly done.

November was slightly better, but still room for improvement.

Now, this time in first week of January, I cut my hair again at home, and this time my family is not laughing at my haircut, also I'm not avoiding video calls with friends and family.

I cut my hair the same way I always like, short on top, zero around and done, but it looks much better this time.

That's a good sign.

I cut my own hair last weekend for the first time. Just used clippers and I was happy with the results. My last haircut was June 2020. Then we went into lockdown again last fall, and I didn't get into the barber before that happened. I don't mind having longer hair, but it was getting pretty shaggy around the ears and back. My hair grows quite slowly.

I haven't had a good barber for a few years now. The one I went to for a long time is out of business (I went there one day and the shop was closed. He was a bit older so I think he had a health issue or might have passed away - I never found out what happened). So I've been making do with other barbers who mostly use clippers anyway.

I used the number 6 guard (one inch) on top, number 5 around the middle, and number 4 below that. That cuts it so it's a bit too short to part. I like the way it looks and I'm glad to know that I can cut it.

Now that I know this, I doubt I'll go back to the barber shop after things open up.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
⬆ Another convert ⬆

It's not that hard + you get better at it.

I remember when I thought it just about impossible. Then I encountered a guy who cuts his own hair and has the best looking haircuts I've ever seen. I'd say he gets what the rich folks like movie stars and politicians get - the $600 hair cut - but it costs him nothing.

Just the other day my wife remarked on how good my hair is looking. She wanted to know if I was going back to the hair salon or doing it myself. I was happy to assure her I was busy saving money using my DIY kit.

On the other hand some people might not like my haircut.​
1611778651953.png

they just don't like pink hair.

Happy shaves,

Jim

⬆ Another convert ⬆

It's not that hard + you get better at it.

I remember when I thought it just about impossible. Then I encountered a guy who cuts his own hair and has the best looking haircuts I've ever seen. I'd say he gets what the rich folks like movie stars and politicians get - the $600 hair cut - but it costs him nothing.

Just the other day my wife remarked on how good my hair is looking. She wanted to know if I was going back to the hair salon or doing it myself. I was happy to assure her I was busy saving money using my DIY kit.

On the other hand some people might not like my haircut.​
View attachment 1214367

they just don't like pink hair.

Happy shaves,

Jim
My goal is to get my hair looking just like the photo!

I've been cutting my own hair about once a month with Wahl clippers and scissors since March 2020, when barbershops here were shut down. I use two mirrors so that I can see how I am doing cutting the hair on the back of the head, but it only takes me 10 - 15 minutes to do it and a few minutes to clean up. I get OK-to-good results that are better than a lot of barber haircuts I have received in the past.

I had planned to return to the barber once things opened up here, but the state implemented many safety rules to reduce the risk of viral transmission that made a barber visit a hassle, and then my barbershop relocated 10 miles away... so I have not been to a barber since January 2020.

In mid March I purchased a Wahl haircutting set and ordered a Flowbee. For those who never heard of a Flowbee it is a haircutting system that probably came out in the late 80's early 90's. Basically it is an electric hair trimmer that you connect to a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum pulls your hair straight and the cutters cut the hair all the same length. It comes with different size spacers that you can use to set the length of your hair. It also comes with a slanted spacer if you want to taper the sides and the back of the neck. I use the Flowbee on my hair and then my wife trims up the edges around my ears and the back of the neck. The hair trimmed by the Flowbee is of course sucked up into the vacuum cleaner for easy disposal. I still use it.

Since I found out that George Clooney has been using a Flowbee for years I feel like I have been vindicated!

George Clooney shows Jimmy Kimmel how to use a Flowbee

I haven't had a hair cut now in exactly 1 year and 1 week. SWMBO is liking it long and since I'm working form home I'm just going to let it grow till I can't stand it anymore.

I haven't had a hair cut now in exactly 1 year and 1 week. SWMBO is liking it long and since I'm working form home I'm just going to let it grow till I can't stand it anymore.

Same here, last haircut the first week of February 2020. I’ve had long hair in the past, so I think I’m just gonna do that now. Now if I could only sort out the work from home part.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Cut my hair again today.

My previous most recent haircut was January 3rd. I was overdue, but was waiting for a day when the weather was good enough to sit outside on my porch to do the job. Today was the day.

1615153571387.png

It went pretty well I think. Not perfect of course, but good enough for government work.

The three way mirror remains unconstructed. I've not yet solved one of the problems I have to solve to hang the mirror properly. I'm sure the mirror will make a big difference, but that doesn't solve my issue of how to construct it and hang it to my satisfaction.

Happy haircuts,

Jim

My hair is pretty much Tommy Shelby, so not real difficult. It is a toss up on if I have an oopsy. But bout the same chance at the barber so, Meh. Still a barber or two open around here and depending on my motivation, I go once in a while.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cut my hair again today.

My previous most recent haircut was January 3rd. I was overdue, but was waiting for a day when the weather was good enough to sit outside on my porch to do the job. Today was the day.

View attachment 1233525

It went pretty well I think. Not perfect of course, but good enough for government work.

The three way mirror remains unconstructed. I've not yet solved one of the problems I have to solve to hang the mirror properly. I'm sure the mirror will make a big difference, but that doesn't solve my issue of how to construct it and hang it to my satisfaction.

Happy haircuts,

Jim
You look Maaaahvelous!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I cut my hair again. Previously it was cut on March 7th.

Prior to cutting my hair today I asked my wife what she wanted me to do. I was interested in finding out what length of hair she preferred on me. She was pretty convincing in saying my hair looks a lot better now than it did when I had it cut by a professional stylist (one I consider very skilled, talented, and careful). High praise indeed from SWMBO.

1619911029920.png

Motto for all DIY haircutters: It could be worse.

Anyhow, I wasn't terribly pleased with today's effort, but it's not bad at all. The blending of the lengths on the sides could be better I think.

I've still not made my mirror, but I have a plan to make it in a somewhat different way from the three way design discussed previously. Simpler for sure. Overcoming my laziness will be a hurdle.

Generally one cuts more than one realizes during the cutting process. However, that can be fixed by simply stopping sooner.

Happy haircuts to you,

Jim

If you're getting good results, you probably don't need it. I love mine, but I also used training wheels until I was embarassingly old... :blush:

Top Bottom