What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

1611752385815.jpeg

Brush: Chisel & Hound / V7 Fanchurian
Soap: Ariana & Evans - Asian Plum
Razor: Razorock Game Changer .68 OC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue

10/10: The way my face works, I always need touch-ups to get what I want. This combo is working surprisingly well and is really keeping what’s needs after a 3rd pass to a minimum. Very nice.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
View attachment 1213967
A hot shower...
lather bowl: Fine
Razor: iKon X3
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Shavette: Gravity
Soap: Proraso Red
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Rating 9.0

3 passes, a little touchup with the shavette, ..a good close shave. My Prorasso Red is almost gone, I'm thinking of trying the Wood and Spice Single Blade, before I order more red, anyone use that stuff regularly?

Great profile picture!

Razor: WCS DE CC Cream and Red
Blade: Schick (3)
Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar, 21mm
Bowl: Supply Co Marble

Cream: Figaro: Expiration date 14/12/2013
(Apparently Not)

RazoRock GOLD Aftershave Splash

Very good, efficient shave this morning. Lather was good but I only have a few more shaves from this tube of Figaro. It's made in Budapest, Hungary. I don't remember who I bought it from.
A near BBS.

Have a great day everyone [emoji2]
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
That is one groovy looking shaver!

Razor: 1965 Schick Krona
Blade: Wilkinson Sword - German (5)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Dr. Jon's "Savannah Sunrise"
Aftershave: Dr. Jon's "Savannah Sunrise"
Rating: 10/10 - On an unseasonably warm morning I broke out one of my favorite summer soaps. Forgot that the AS had some menthol, so that was quite a surprise!

Soap: Cella
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #7. Small chin weeper, and another small one on my neck near my adams apple, but I think I just reopened the one from the other day. 2 full passes WTG, and did a third pass XTG (ear towards nose) on cheeks, and did some neck cleanup. Near BBS on cheeks, which was surprising. Felt a little uncomfortable going from ear towards nose, but it was my first time doing so. Came out smooth as butta!

Mistakes- Decided I needed some Cella in my life, which went against the advice I was given to stick with the same setup for a while to properly diagnose any issues that arise via limiting variables. First pass was probably my cleanest pass like ever, and I attribute that to the change in soap. The 2nd pass was great as well, but the third pass is what got me due to what I think was lather deterioration. I did add water and worked the lather a bit, but that's when things started to feel scritchy and I have my first bout of irritation on my neck. Now I'm unsure if it was blade related, technique related, or lather related, because I changed that one variable. Wicked aftershave burn.

It usually takes me a shave or two to get reacquainted with a soap I have not used in a while. Cella is bomb, not bashing it what so ever. It was completely on my end.

Will go back to Arko for the time being.

7/10

Hello @Kyle89
I too had previously expericed irritation after the shaves and it usually started after 2nd pass.

In my case, it was a rather aggressive rubbing of my Omega 10005 boar brush on a 2 pass shaved face that was the culprit, adding to the injury was lack of remaining lather.

That seems to be your case as well, so maybe re-up the lather after 2nd pass if it looks a bit less, hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

For my SOTD it's a success story with La Toja.

I used every suggestions provided by many fellow gentlemen and it resulted in a great shave.

I followed the damp brush advice, rinsing the stick for a bit longer before applying and I used a proper face lather brush - Beehive.

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Brush : RazoRock Beehive
Blade : Willy's
Stick : La Toja
A/S : Alum Bloc, Anherb ASC

BBS Confirm
Rating (Heartless) : 8/10

IMG_20210127_191812.jpg

Mostly Cloudy Wednesday Shave:
Gillette Tech pre-war model + Super Knurl handle
Feather (1)
Omega 11137 boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave
Klar Seifen ginger & lotus root shaving soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
Speick aftershave splash

Clean, close shave; DFS+

Notes:
  • This soap is actually sold "für die Dame" (for ladies), but I'd consider the scent unisex (different and really nice, IMHO). Performance is fantastic, same as the other Klar shaving soaps.
klar-shave-3..png

Hello @Kyle89
I too had previously expericed irritation after the shaves and it usually started after 2nd pass.

In my case, it was a rather aggressive rubbing of my Omega 10005 boar brush on a 2 pass shaved face that was the culprit, adding to the injury was lack of remaining lather.

That seems to be your case as well, so maybe re-up the lather after 2nd pass if it looks a bit less, hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.
Now that you mention it, I did face lather yesterday and I never face lather...

Interesting.

Pre-shave: Proraso Red
Soap: Arko
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: VIBR
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #8. Minimal aftershave burn, and 1 weeper which was not present post-shave. Completely avoided the lower part of my neck that got some razor burn yesterday, so I look funny. I'll not remember this fact when I go food shopping later and run into people I know (I really hope that happens).
2 full passes plus some cleanup. Did some experimenting with XTG on chin and mustache, but the blade felt grabby due to tentativeness, but got it eventually. I was being too shy with it.

Really surprised the edge has held up so well with my newbieness. So far yesterday was my only "real" setback, but I went against some very good advice I was given, so it was completely my fault. It was corrected today, and the shave felt really great.

Things learned- With DE, I never really noticed a difference using pre-shaves, but with a straight, I noticed when I don't use it, things go a little sour with some minor skin issues. Another important thing I'm realizing is that my shaves are improving now since I'm focused on cutting hair at this point, and not entirely focused on not slicing my face off. As my confidence grows, the shaves are getting better. Hopefully I can keep myself in check in the future so I don't do too much damage when I'm super confident. I feel like that's when I'll start screwing up.

9/10.

PXL_20210126_090935423.jpg

Razor: Henson AL13 - medium
Blade: Feather
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: Signature Soaps Caledonia
Rating: 10

Initially I was indifferent to this razor but now I'm impressed! Originally I thought it was ok but too mild. This time I put a brand new Feather in it and loosened the handle by a quarter turn and it made a big difference. I've used this razor for the past two days and both times have been an extremely comfortable, long lasting BBS shave. It's very easy to go atg even on the top lip and irritation is totally absent. I think I'll try it with a Kai blade when the Feather is done.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Wed, Jan 27th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Lupo SS.72- MFG 2021, excellent mid range, carefree shave, glad I bought it!
Blade: Gillette Silver blue(1) excellent blade, Sharp & Smoooth with with reasonable longevity. My Top 5 Tier blades.
Soap: Tabac, mild flowery scent with excellent lather qualities & nice post shave feel of hydration!
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 mm knot- excellent lather genertator, cloud like soft tips with good back bone & good scrub + lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cols water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice light tobaco smoke scent + a dollop of Nivea balm. (-20C humidity low 41)
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR 2nd gen Lupo .72 with a Gillette GSB.

SOTD, Wed, Jan 27th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Wednesday shave- two pass, 7/10, fair result, after getting so many good shaves, today's was just okay.

Pre-shave:
face wash, soaked the brush
Razor: Feather AC SS
Blade: Feather Pro (5)
Brush: Vintage Klenzo-
Smaller brush, for a smallish tub
Soap: Proraso White
Post-shave:
alum for a few weepers, cold water, and Lucky Tiger Aspen; this AS was part of my recent Appleton order. I've noticed it over the years and decided to give it a go. This AS is an alcohol strong splash, pleasant scent- no complaints from me.

Happy shaving everyone!

PXL_20210127_161633921.jpg

PSX_20210126_100652.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: The Blade (Personna) Stainless Steel
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Saponificio Bignoli Indian Sandalwood (Sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red (2)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Another great lather from the SP sample, I think/hope I have enough for another two shaves before I go back into my soap rotation (it doesn't take much of this cream to get a lot of lather!).
It's also the last of my King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil so as of my next shave I'll be moving onto the free bottle of Truefitt & Hill Pre-shave oil I've had sitting in my den for a while.
Overall a pleasant shave with no irritation or feedback from the Alum block.

Razor: Gold Tech
Blade: Feather (3)
Cream: TOBS Cedarwood

Rating 8/10
The reason its not a 9 is because of my own foolishness. My second pass, I didn't have enough water in my lather to give me the slickness I should have had. Third pass was great though.
The Feather and Tech worked well together and provided a very efficient shave, one I will be sure to use in the future. Just got to remember to add a touch more water for the second pass. #noob

Top Bottom