What's new

Double PIF; Single Edge

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Here's a PIF -- actually it's TWO PIFs -- intended to introduce a couple of DE shavers to the wonderful world of Gem SE.

What you get:

ONE Gem 1912-pattern razor, with a fresh Accu-Tek Personna Stainless PTFE Coated blade.

The Gem 1912 is a mild shaver even with a fresh sharp blade. Both of these are in essentially user-grade condition. The doors firmly clamp the blade, and the springs are nice and tight. There are minor finish blemishes, as one would expect. Either razor comes with the "threadchaser" handle. There are adaptors available to allow attachment of a modern handle if you wish (the threading is 8-24, an obsolete specification).

Who can take part: I'll ship a razor anywhere, but outside US or Canadian addresses I will ask for a bit of help if the postage is over $20. Generally it runs about $15 and I'm fine with that.

What you need to do:

Post "I'm in" here. If you have questions I'm happy to answer them. This PIF is for ONE razor each to TWO different people. I'll review the thread on February 2, 2021 and notify the "piffees."

O.H.

IMG_0477[1].JPGIMG_0478[1].JPG

Here's a PIF -- actually it's TWO PIFs -- intended to introduce a couple of DE shavers to the wonderful world of Gem SE.

What you get:

ONE Gem 1912-pattern razor, with a fresh Accu-Tek Personna Stainless PTFE Coated blade.

The Gem 1912 is a mild shaver even with a fresh sharp blade. Both of these are in essentially user-grade condition. The doors firmly clamp the blade, and the springs are nice and tight. There are minor finish blemishes, as one would expect. Either razor comes with the "threadchaser" handle. There are adaptors available to allow attachment of a modern handle if you wish (the threading is 8-24, an obsolete specification).

Who can take part: I'll ship a razor anywhere, but outside US or Canadian addresses I will ask for a bit of help if the postage is over $20. Generally it runs about $15 and I'm fine with that.

What you need to do:

Post "I'm in" here. If you have questions I'm happy to answer them. This PIF is for ONE razor each to TWO different people. I'll review the thread on February 2, 2021 and notify the "piffees."

O.H.

View attachment 1213969View attachment 1213974

Very Gracious of you. Not in

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Very nice PIF for someone to enter the realm of vintage SE shaving. I’m already well stocked in this area so I’m not partaking.

Very nice PIF. I am not in but the winners will be getting introduced to a great shaving experience. It takes a little adjusting from good DE technique but the shaves are great. The only potential downside is potential SE RAD ( laments the owner of 18 SE razors!).

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Not in....but well done, my friend!!! A couple of lucky shavers are going to get introduced to some great shaves!!!

I don’t enter a lot of these but have never tried a GEM or really any similar single edge and would love to try one.

Thanks for the opportunity. 👍

I’ve never tried a SE or Gem, this would be great to try. Count me in please! Thanks for offering this generous PIF

Awesome Pif @Old Hippie !!
Respectfully Not In, as I have had received 2 of these wonderful vintage razor together with some blades from kind & generous members in these shave forums.
For those who have not try, please do because I enjoyed using these GEMS...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Great PIFs, Hippie!
As tempting as it is, I don't want to get started on yet another addiction. :laugh:
Respectfully, not in.
FINALLY! A wise man!

VERY generous PIF my friend, but I have one or two around here that don't get enough love. Respectfully not in.

Not in, but a very nice gesture! ASR, i.e. Gem, Ever-Ready, and Star, lost in the marketing battle, but made good products. I'm heartened that the SE shaving system survived. And when I see SE blades in a brick and mortar, it always makes me smile.

I've always found my shaves from the Gem 1912 to be excellent. To the ultimate recipients- enjoy!

This is a great PIF, but I already have several 1912s (great razors) and there are more deserving than I here so respectfully not in. I would say "I'm in" for my son, who I'm slowly pulling to the dark side, first with a "user grade" DE Slim and Old Type. Sure, I could gift him one of my 1912s, but I've cherry-picked ones in near mint/cased condition, and he's just not at that point in his life where he takes as good of his kit as is needed. I was about to upgrade his slim to one in veddy good condition until I saw his user grade slim and I couldn't bring myself to do it...

Top Bottom