What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Mudder Focker
Brush: APShaveco 24 mm. Synbad
Razor: Karve CB SS OC-C
Blade: Polsilver super iridium (1)
Afters: Alum block, Stirling Piacenza, Nivea balm

3 passes, minor touchup. No nicks, cuts or irritation

Rating: 9.9 / 10 (missed a small spot on the neck)

Great shave this morning. Highlights were
  • My third time using Mudder Focker, and I'm really impressed with the quality of lather, both for slickness and for cushion, especially at this price point. I think it is excellent value for the money. Pleasant scent too, will have to buy the matching splash
  • Polsilver plays very nicely with my Karve OC
The Karve, with either OC-C or OC-D, has become my primary razor. I'm anxiously waiting on the mail for a Timeless .95 OC, hopefully will arrive this week.

Razor: Supply Co. Injector, medium plate
Blade: Supply Co. Injector
Brush: Vie-Long 04312 Horse 21mm
Bowl : Supply Co Marble

Soap : RazoRock Tobacco #1

Stirling Blu Post Shave Balm
Royal Copenhagen Aftershave Splash

1 out of 10[emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]

Four passes to a heavy 5 O'clock shadow.
The only reason I gave it a 1 is because of no nicks or weepers or razor burn. I'm the reason probably. I didn't remember why I had went to the aggressive plate when I switched them back the other night.

Have a great day everyone [emoji2]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Jan 25th 2021, or more accurately for myself today a A.S.R Everready 1912

Razor: Everready 1912, British variat- Mfg 1936-53, excellent mid range, excellent handle for grip, very enjoyable shave today.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) Excellent blade, Very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity, predictable!
Soap: Razorock Blue barber , great barber shop scent with Excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers - excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub & lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation+ no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my Everready 1912 & coated Gem SS blade.(it was WOW shave and in the winter gives me something to smile about)

MMMonday, Jan 25th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Sukin Pore Refining Facial Scrub
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Israeli Red (1)
- Omega Pro 49

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
I ended up with some next day irritation from the Wilkinson Sword Sticky/Wilkinson Sword Classic combination I'd used on my last two shave so I chucked the blade and went back to one of my standard/favourite set ups today. I think I'll try out a Feather in the Sticky once this irritation goes away, but for now I'm back in my EJ/Israeli Red happy place!
It was also my final shave with this T&H sample and I finally detected a hint of a scent (although not overly Sandalwoody). This cream is not one I will be buying a full size tub/tube of and it definitely came up lacking compared to Saponificio Bignoli Indian Sandalwood in terms of scent and performance.
Overall a nice pleasant Monday morning shave with no additional irritation and no feedback from the Alum Block.

Today I tried another shave stick for the 1st time, and like Arko, 1st impression wasn't that great.

I applied the stick generously, spent some time face lathering and lather turned out to be shiny, and visibly slick, but it lacked protection.

I got a smooth and close Shave, perhaps too close.
Smell is typical soap smell, it doesn't offends but doesn't attract as well.

Rating : 6.5/10

Razor : RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Brush : Pearl 22 mm Long handle
Stick : La Toja
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp (green)
Aftershave : Alum rub and Anherb ASC.

Alum rub made me realise that there was minimal protection in today's shave and I'll have to work on La Toja.

Edit : @SharpieB on first impression, it seems you were correct in assuming that La Toja doesn't match the slickness of Arko.

I'll have to use it again, but even if I compare my first experience with Arko when it didn't lather and then gave me a runny lather, it was a lot better than La Toja.

View attachment 1213196

If I felt sticky, it sounds like it needed more water. I found that when I use La Toja I have to use quite a damp brush to get things going and then dip the tips a few times as well. But once it's nice and hydrated, its slick and protective with a nice post shave feel to it as well. Living in the NE of Scotland I also get very soft water which I assume helps a lot with soaps.

If I felt sticky, it sounds like it needed more water. I found that when I use La Toja I have to use quite a damp brush to get things going and then dip the tips a few times as well. But once it's nice and hydrated, its slick and protective with a nice post shave feel to it as well. Living in the NE of Scotland I also get very soft water which I assume helps a lot with soaps.
My lather was visibly thin, shiny but thin.
I think, it'll definitely get better after a few uses.
Water here is Calcium rich, scaling is a problem, but I don't think it has anything to do with today's less than stellar shave, it was my lack of experience with La Toja.

Tomorrow, I'll wet the stick a bit more, before applying it on face.

Thanks for the tip about starting with damp brush, I'll use it in tomorrow's shave.

1611587882396.jpeg

Brush: Wild West Brushworks / 24mm Elite Manchurian White
Soap: Stirling Almond Creme
Razor: Razorock Game Changer .68 OC
Blade: Voskhod

8/10: A perfectly fine shave. I don’t use a lot of post-shave products with my better post-shave creams, so I’m trying to dial in exactly what I use with Stirling (and others). For me, it’s hard to justify using them if I can’t get the post-shave where it needs to be. I really want to use them for the variety of simple scents, however.

Razor: Rockwell 6S
Blade: (Personna) Crystal
Soap: Proraso Single Blade
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Pre shave: Face wash
Post shave: Dr. Carver's Post Shave Balm

Used the R4 plate for pass one, R3 plate for passes two and three. Resultant shave was DNP (Damn Near Perfect).

20210124_095812.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior Lather Catcher
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Jayaruh #163 White Queen in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Shannon's 25th Street Lime splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5, a couple of weepers.

Soap: Arko
Razor: Modified Gold Dollar
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Stirling Duke
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Straight shave #6. No nicks/irritation. Minimal aftershave burn. Some patchy stubble left over, more than yesterday anyway, but chose not to do a cleanup. 3 full passes, 2 WTG, last pass XTG cheeks. Been going XTG towards my ear, so tomorrow I will try this pass in the other direction, which is how I DE shave.
Lather felt a little on the dry side towards the end, but no harm done. Really felt a difference in glide with the blade though, and not in a good way. A nice indicator on how slickness really matters with this sort of shaving, and dually noted.

Not the closest shave by any means, but for shave #6 with the cut throat, my face doesn't hurt and didn't lose any blood!

8/10

Monday Shave

Pre-shave: Shower/hot washcloth/PAA The Cube
Razor: Gillette P4 Psycho
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Brush: RazoRock 400 Plissoft Synthetic Knot
Soap: PAA Tombstone
Bowl/Mug: 3D shave Bowl
Post Shave: PAA Mysterium Serum
AS: PAA Tombstone

72hrs of growth
It's been a while since I've used the Psyco, so it was freed from it's asylum to roam around my face...
Loaded it with a Perma-Sharp blade after I applied the washcloth and The Cube. Then I loaded the RazoRock 400 for 10 seconds with the Tombstone soap, and started making my lather. Had to add a spoonful of water to my initial attempt, and the lather sprung forth in volumes... Probably could have done four 3 pass shaves with all that lather, but I did a 3 pass shave and a 4th on my neck.
The Psycho did bite me me in 2 spots on my adams apple, but overall the shave was very close, and the spots needed no post shave attention. Rubbing WTG, is smooth as can be.. A little sandpaper feeling ATG...
After cleaning up my face, I applied the Mysterium serum, and let it absorb for a few minutes before applying the aftershave.

No nicks: 4.7
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.8
Smoothness: 5
Total: 9.57

25th.jpg

Monday morning shave- just a quick single pass, 8.5/10, nice result, no nicks, weepers, or irritation. I had forgotten to take out the garbage and had to make it quick this morning.

Pre-shave:
Just wet my face a bit, and soaked the brush
Razor: Ever-Ready- I remembered to pull this English one out for Monday
Blade: Gem SS (1)
Brush: Omega Jade boar-
the best boar brush I have now that's it's nicely broken in.
Soap: Proraso green
Post-shave: Barbasol Brisk

Today was a green product day, brush, soap and aftershave. t's also snowing here, so here so, of course, I went for cooling menthol.

Here's hoping your weather is better.

PXL_20210125_191800252.jpg

Razor: Boker Carbon
Soap & AS: NO - The Noir Et Vanille
Brush: C-Mon 77-5
Rating: 10/10

Good morning gents! Awesome shave this morning. I sent my Boker to Max Sprecher a couple of weeks ago. I have been honing for a good year now and wanted to compare the edges I have been getting to someone’s edge that is well respected in the community..Well looks like I have some more work to do. The hone on this razor is the perfect balance for me of sharpness and smoothness. The ILR has been excellent but looks like I am open to a great Jnat stone in 2021. The hunt continues!!

View attachment 1212923

Beautiful straight!

Top Bottom