What's new

Mitchell's Wool Fat - What Happened?

Right, I did buy another puck a few weeks ago and put it to the test, soaked it in its dish it swelled up and fits nicely with no gaps.
any hows went to lather it up and I got the same results from this new puck as my old puck, so now I had to give my old puck to the wife. As now I have 2 pucks in the mix and I don't want to be just using MWF for the next 2 years.....

So she is happy as she was getting low on her soap for shaving her legs with, but now have 3 ceramic dishes for the Fat let's just see how long it is before she starts saying I have too many.....

Trust me she will but while I was in their shop, I did ask the question again if they had a bad batch. But they said nothing so I'm still none the wiser and got some more bath soap while I was there same for the wife so saves postage.

But in all, it still lathers just the same as my old puck so to me it must have been a bad batch....

Right, I did buy another puck a few weeks ago and put it to the test, soaked it in its dish it swelled up and fits nicely with no gaps.
any hows went to lather it up and I got the same results from this new puck as my old puck, so now I had to give my old puck to the wife. As now I have 2 pucks in the mix and I don't want to be just using MWF for the next 2 years.....

So she is happy as she was getting low on her soap for shaving her legs with, but now have 3 ceramic dishes for the Fat let's just see how long it is before she starts saying I have too many.....

Trust me she will but while I was in their shop, I did ask the question again if they had a bad batch. But they said nothing so I'm still none the wiser and got some more bath soap while I was there same for the wife so saves postage.

But in all, it still lathers just the same as my old puck so to me it must have been a bad batch....
While their soaps are awesome, their customer service is nonexistent.

I’ve been a Fat guy since I found it back in May. I almost exclusively shave with The Fat and I shower with their bath bar.

When my first puck refused to lather, I emailed them using their contact us link. That was in June, and I’m still waiting for an answer.

They suck at communication.

While their soaps are awesome, their customer service is nonexistent.

I’ve been a Fat guy since I found it back in May. I almost exclusively shave with The Fat and I shower with their bath bar.

When my first puck refused to lather, I emailed them using their contact us link. That was in June, and I’m still waiting for an answer.

They suck at communication.

Yes, I am beginning to think that as well Eric, at the end they should say yes or no that way everybody knows.
But if they did it would cost them to replace the pucks, but they would be able to claim that back from the insurance. Plus it could have been in the product that was supplied to them so they might not have known...

Yes, I am beginning to think that as well Eric, at the end they should say yes or no that way everybody knows.
But if they did it would cost them to replace the pucks, but they would be able to claim that back from the insurance. Plus it could have been in the product that was supplied to them so they might not have known...
Because they didn’t respond, I’ve started looking for a replacement. I’m seriously considering A&E Kaizan as my next soap. But I’ve got until about August to decide.

Shaved with it this morning. It hasn't popped up in my rotation very often since starting this thread nine months ago. It still seems to be a little off from the last puck, but it has greatly improved, nearly back to how I remembered it. Exceptional shave. 26 mm ACE custom Silvertip knot in a handle I turned myself, loft set high. Dorco 7 razor for 1st pass, Dorco 3 for 2nd pass, and Dorco 7 Power razor for the 3rd pass. Getting the puck fully hydrated seems to be what makes the difference.

Shaved with it this morning. It hasn't popped up in my rotation very often since starting this thread nine months ago. It still seems to be a little off from the last puck, but it has greatly improved, nearly back to how I remembered it. Exceptional shave. 26 mm ACE custom Silvertip knot in a handle I turned myself, loft set high. Dorco 7 razor for 1st pass, Dorco 3 for 2nd pass, and Dorco 7 Power razor for the 3rd pass. Getting the puck fully hydrated seems to be what makes the difference.

Yes, it need to be fed water regularly otherwise it’s very hard to get it to load the brush adequately, and if there isn’t enough product loaded that’s how disappearing lather happens.

Soaking for 48 hours to get it to expand to fill the bowl and then making sure to use it at least twice a week or if not dribble a little water into the container does the trick for me. Granted I have mountain melt water that is extremely soft (same stuff as Coors;), so take that for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize in advance for the longish rant that follows; please feel free to skip it.

A while ago I posted that my new puck of MWF was normal again. Well it was for the first shave. The second shave showed less slickness than I was used to from the fat, and the third was worse. This morning I loaded the heck out of the puck and face lathered as usual. I never managed to get any body to the lather, and it dissipated quickly on my face. I washed it off, washed the brush out, and in minutes had a slick and rich lather with Stirling.

That’s it, I’m done with the fat, and I have to admit I’m really annoyed about it. And before I get any more advice on how to lather, the problem is not me, it is not my water, or brush, or technique; it is the soap. Now I realize Mitchells is probably not the first or last soap maker that has run into production problems. But I know that numerous people have attempted to discuss the problem with Mitchells, and I’ve yet to hear about anyone getting a response that made sense, if they got a response at all. So that is what annoys me most. They make an iconic product that has been around forever and is highly thought of, but the company seems not to have enough integrity or respect for its customers to own up to a problem and let us know what they intend to do about it. I find it hard to believe that they are not aware of it, and the lack of any response tells me that they don’t care. Well, neither do I any more. I have Tabac, Haslinger, SV, Stirling, and many other soaps available that provide the performance I want without any hassle.

So that’s it for me. No more wasting time, money and further thought on a product that may or may not work. Goodbye to the fat.

I apologize in advance for the longish rant that follows; please feel free to skip it.

A while ago I posted that my new puck of MWF was normal again. Well it was for the first shave. The second shave showed less slickness than I was used to from the fat, and the third was worse. This morning I loaded the heck out of the puck and face lathered as usual. I never managed to get any body to the lather, and it dissipated quickly on my face. I washed it off, washed the brush out, and in minutes had a slick and rich lather with Stirling.

That’s it, I’m done with the fat, and I have to admit I’m really annoyed about it. And before I get any more advice on how to lather, the problem is not me, it is not my water, or brush, or technique; it is the soap. Now I realize Mitchells is probably not the first or last soap maker that has run into production problems. But I know that numerous people have attempted to discuss the problem with Mitchells, and I’ve yet to hear about anyone getting a response that made sense, if they got a response at all. So that is what annoys me most. They make an iconic product that has been around forever and is highly thought of, but the company seems not to have enough integrity or respect for its customers to own up to a problem and let us know what they intend to do about it. I find it hard to believe that they are not aware of it, and the lack of any response tells me that they don’t care. Well, neither do I any more. I have Tabac, Haslinger, SV, Stirling, and many other soaps available that provide the performance I want without any hassle.

So that’s it for me. No more wasting time, money and further thought on a product that may or may not work. Goodbye to the fat.
Try Schapenmelk from Cold River Soap Works. I have had good luck with my current puck of MWF, but I've also had pucks that just didn't want to lather. To me, CRSW's Schapenmelk is what MWF should be. It's heavy on the lanolin and has a similar inoffensive "soapy" scent, but it lathers as easily as anything you can find. Others often suggest Haslinger Schafmilch as an MWF alternative, but I find the scent too sweet.

If you just get a puck of Haslinger Schalf Milch instead you'll get all of the good parts of the MWF and more, but without the hassle. I've read so many threads like this one, where people ask about how to make MWF work properly. A truly good soap doesn't raise such questions.

I believe it’s a QC issue at Mitchell’s. I had one puck that acted exactly like you are describing and then half way through the puck it acted better. Still not normal, but better. The puck I’m currently using lathers with no effort at all. I’m not sure if I’ll stick with The Fat, but when this puck is done, I’m going to try A&E Kaisen.

I have no doubt about that. A good puck of Mitchells lathers well and as easily as any other decent soap. I've had a few and never even had to bloom them. But after two sub-par pucks I'm done. Too many other good ones available to bother.

I must have never had a good puck then. Both of my pucks just resulted in a dissipating, thin foam. I threw both out and won't be buying again.

I guess I had a stroke of beginners luck with MWF. I have been reading various threads about how much people love and hate it so I thought I'd give it a try.

I filled the ceramic bowl with water and let is sit for about 24 hours, topping it off occasionally as the puck seemed to be drinking it. This morning I drained the water and started loading with a barely wet Yaqui synthetic brush. I loaded the brush for about a minute adding an occasional droop or three of water. Then I started face lathering again adding drops of water occasionally. I got plenty of lather for three passes and a wonderful slickness. The fat post shave feel was superior to anything I've used before.
IMG_20210117_070502890 (1).jpg

I was looking into getting MWF when my arko stick finished but I hate poor QC, especially when basically every other company in this extremely niche space seems to have it down to a 'T'. I swear I've read some of the strangest work arounds that aren't even mentioned on the product itself to get it to actually work. Other products may not work as well as MWF when it does (I haven't used it so I don't know), but at least they work. Shame, I didn't like their body soap either...I think this company is just riding on hype.

I was looking into getting MWF when my arko stick finished but I hate poor QC, especially when basically every other company in this extremely niche space seems to have it down to a 'T'. I swear I've read some of the strangest work arounds that aren't even mentioned on the product itself to get it to actually work. Other products may not work as well as MWF when it does (I haven't used it so I don't know), but at least they work. Shame, I didn't like their body soap either...I think this company is just riding on hype.

I just bought some more of both from Amazon, and they are working fine. [emoji2369]

I just bought some more of both from Amazon, and they are working fine. [emoji2369]

every second article or video review I see on it is saying that it barely works and is over-hyped. I'm not gonna roll the dice and pray that I get one of the good pucks instead of a dud. Glad you like it though.

Top Bottom