What's new

The Ammo Shortage

I bought 5000 rounds of Daisy VL Caseless .22 These went out of production in the late 60's.
4BEAD311-EFF2-4FF0-B420-651FC361717B_1_105_c.jpeg
CA2022EF-BB1A-4188-A00D-42B1FAEF34D5_1_105_c.jpeg
FD3761A7-E56A-492F-8711-3A48994A13B4_1_105_c.jpeg

Gun Show this weekend at Jamil Temple in Columbia, SC (just down the road from Palmetto State Armory's Columbia retail store)

A couple of AAR's have been posted. One person reported that an hour after the show started the line to get in reached all the way back to the far reaches of the parking lot and was starting to snake around even further

Another person reported that an 800-rd box of Federal .22lr was selling for $160 (that's 20 cents per round).

Ammo vendors are well aware that PSA is almost completely out of ammo...only birdshot shells.

PSA in Summerville, SC got in one of those 14K round, 55 gallon drums of Hornady 223 Rem 55gr FMJ. Their asking price was somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,000.00

Instead they broke it up into 250-round bags and it sold within a couple of hours.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
PSA in Summerville, SC got in one of those 14K round, 55 gallon drums of Hornady 223 Rem 55gr FMJ. Their asking price was somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,000.00

Instead they broke it up into 250-round bags and it sold within a couple of hours.

Went to the LGS and asked the owner how it was going. He looked at me and said "I think we sold 50k of 9mm today. One box at a time." No wonder my girl Cathy looked pissed when I stopped in! :lol:
A year ago those drums were a little over $3k

Yeah, remember when Brownells was clearing them out? $3700.00 I think...

In my own personal heck I placed an order for a 8lb jug of Ramshot LRT (smoking deal!) and they said with processing times it would be 4 or 5 days before they charged my card and processed my order. Jumped on their site last night and saw the front page announcement. "Due to Covid-19, we will closed until Feb 2nd." Dirty word, dirty word, dirty word!!! Ah well, at least it hasn't come to this. YET! :lol:
B92D48F0-402F-47CE-9821-4AD25508FB2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Ammo prices at this weekend's gun show in Columbia SC:

$1/round on most .223/.556 and 9mm FMJ

Reports were the crowds vastly thinned out by Sunday afternoon.

"THEY AIN'T MAKIN' AMMOZ ON PURPOSE!"

"YEAH! TO RAISE THE PRICE!"

"AND THEY'RE STORIN' IT IN SECRET WARRHOUSES!"

"AND THEY'RE ONLY SELLIN' IT TA CHEAPER'N DURT!"

"AND THEY'RE SELLIN IT OUT THE BACK DOOR TO THEIR BUDDIES!"

"THEY TOOK OUR JERRRBS!"

"HURRRRR DURRRRRRRRR!!!!"

proxy.php

I haven’t shot since late last summer. Not going to burn through my stash. Definitely not playing the game of trying to get a box here and there.

I may go to the range next month just because I feel so bad not practicing with my carry pistols, but I’ll only shoot a minimum.

I keep telling myself I need to take an inventory of what I've got on hand.
I keep reminding myself: let sleeping dogs lie.
I know where, right now that's all that counts.
What ammo I need for self-defense is already in place. Don't need to wake those doggies.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I bought 5000 rounds of Daisy VL Caseless .22 These went out of production in the late 60's.
View attachment 1209494View attachment 1209495View attachment 1209496

Googled this. You need the VL rifle, too. No funciona in regular 22.

AA

Googled this. You need the VL rifle, too. No funciona in regular 22.

AA
I have 2 Daisy Vl rifles that are in mint condition that have been in the family since the late 60's. When ever I bring one out it always turns heads. It is an odd piece of Daisy history.

nikonNUT

Neat concept. Air rifle with a fire piston built in to ignite the charge. Very cool!!!

nikonNUT

So here's a question for the ammo seeking set. I have 40 pounds of Ramshot LRT (go to powder), probably 8 pounds of Reloader 33, a pound of US869, a few ounces of H1000, and 2 pounds of Retumbo. Folks are rabid for Retumbo right now as it is unobtanium and 2 pounds wont go for me far aka 140-ish shots at MAX. Take out load development and get maybe 110 rounds down range if the stars align? So my question is this.. Keep it for dark days or sell it and add that to the primer and/or powder fund? I am genuinely curious. What say y'all?

Top Bottom