What's new

Early experience

Hi All,

I'm new to safety razors and slowly learning my way. So far I've only had 5 shaves, with about 3 days between (slow growth). I have coarse but not dense hair on my mustache, chin and neck without much on my cheeks. I've managed to get some good mileage on those shaves with a variety of razors and blades, all with TOBS Sandalwood cream; Gent. John Alum, Nivea Sensitive balm:

First shave:
Q-shave razor (varied between settings 3-1)
Included blade
Proraso green pre-shave
Result: Buthcery. Pure butchery. I blame myself mostly for applying too much pressure, but those included blades probably aren't very good. I ended up with a pretty nasty cut on my lip and some serious irritation that lasted through the next day. Lesson learned.

Second shave:
Derby Extra
Proraso green pre-shave
Result: Better technique, but still ended up with some nasty irritation.

Third shave:
Derby Extra (second shave)
Proraso white pre-shave
Result: Giving this set-up another go with sensitive pre-shave, I came to the realization that this was not the set-up for me. The razor was too bulky with too much blade exposure. I may keep it around to try when I improve my technique or need an adjustable, but it's resting for now. The Derby Extras will never see my face again; they just aren't sharp enough and require too many passes or some light pressure to get anywhere near BBS.

Fourth shave:
Merkur 34C razor
Voskhod
Proraso white pre-shave
Result: Fantastic shave. I can see why this razor has been around as long as it has. The weight, balance, and smooth glide of this razor was perfect. It was using this, just the one time, that really gave me the ability to grasp the concept of "the weight of the razor." My face really like the Voskhod blades as well. I was able to get a three-pass, BBS shave with zero irritation.

Fifth shave:
Henson AL13 Medium
Astra SP
Proraso white pre-shave
Result: I wanted to love this razor as it seemed to be a great choice for a rookie, but not loving it right out of the gate. I ended up with a good enough shave, but it seems super inefficient and the light weight make it kind of tough to control the pressure. I'm going to give it another chance with a Voskhod blade for my next shave because I'm not sure if it was the razor or the Astra SP that were the problem. That Merkur is really calling my name though.

I've been lurking for a while here, so thanks for all the great info you guys share. I look forward to continuing this journey, but wish I didn't have to wait three days between shaves. Maybe I'll try some Miracle Grow?

Nice! You are progressing, trying lots of alternatives. The standard advice is to stick with one kit, but your commentary shows me that you are learning quickly with your tour of very different razors and blades.

Merkur has stood the test of time, so I'm not surprised the 34C/Voskhod combo is working well for you. Go for it!

While learning your craft maybe don't look at BBS as a target.
Do a 1 pass shave with that Merkur and check the results.
Ignore all thoughts of 3 passes and BBS shaves for now.
I tried all the Proraso soaps years ago and found them wanting.
Not enough slide and glide for me.
Get a decent Stirling soap or similar.
Astra SP is your 'best' blade?
Had Derbys years ago too. Missus now has the remainder of an impulse buy of 100 of the sods and uses them in a glass scraper/cleaner thingy. Plus a couple of Bolzano too. These are probably the most useless blades I have ever tried. Please don't buy any.
Nasty, horrible blunt things shaped like a razor blade.
Good luck on your shaving journey.

Re your TOBS soaps. I have read on other forums about allergic reactions to the TOBS Sandalwood.
Might explain some of your 'irritation'.
I used TOBS Grapefruit a few years ago, but one day read the ingredients list. There are a few in there that I didn't like so haven't used TOBS since.

While learning your craft maybe don't look at BBS as a target.
Do a 1 pass shave with that Merkur and check the results.
Ignore all thoughts of 3 passes and BBS shaves for now.
Some will-power might be needed for this one. What I’ve learned is that it’s needed advice if you’re not interested in remaining the incumbent mayor of Scraped Face City.
I blame all of you for my haste in chasing a BBS result.

I'll look into the Stirling as I'm finding similar with the Proraso.

Last edited:
Re your TOBS soaps. I have read on other forums about allergic reactions to the TOBS Sandalwood.
Might explain some of your 'irritation'.
I used TOBS Grapefruit a few years ago, but one day read the ingredients list. There are a few in there that I didn't like so haven't used TOBS since.
Thanks. I used it years ago (with a cartridge razor) and didn't have any issues so I went back by default. I'm sure I'll be trying others, but I want to limit as many variables as possible while learning the right technique and best razor/blade combinations.

I have Parker Variant Adjustable and it is also an adjustable razor, so I'll share my experience with it.

If you don't shave daily, then essentially you are removing 2-3 days of growth, and 1st pass will more than likely be the one that clears most of the stubble.
Q : Right ?
A : No.

The secret (for me) to getting comfortable, close, irritation free shave (previously every other day, now everyday) is to not ask too much in the 1st pass.

Gradual Reduction is The Mantra, while it is also easy to misinterpret it.

I use The Step-up method of using adjustable razor.
(I call it by this name)

I select :

=> Very mild settings like 2 or 3 for my 1st pass (WTG)
=> For second pass (XTG), I increase it to 3 or 4 or 5 depending on the need and blade.

Now, after 2 pass, you can decide if this is a good shave, then leave it and come back tomorrow.

Each good shave builds up confidence, technique and also prepares skin for the next shave.

It'll be helpful to get 3 continuous average closeness but irritation free shave, so that you can get more closer and better shave later.

If/ when you want to go for the 3rd pass (ATG and touch-up) :

=> Use lower setting than what you used in the 2nd pass, as most of the stubble is shaved and skin has endured 2 passes already.

Now, this is the time when you need to be especially careful not to over shave any area because of overconfidence/ need to get BBS or for some other reasons.

This pass will decide if you are leaving the shave with close, smooth and irritation free experience or bloody and battered wishing that you shouldn't have taken the last pass.

By this time you should have already heard/ read about the Pre shave prep, alum rub (if needed), aftershave balm/ lotion/ spray etc.

So, long story short -
Prepare your face for the shave, never hurry with the shave, treat it with kindness, it's your responsibility to take care of.

I hope this post may give you some help in getting better shaves, I learnt this from rough experience and from numerous (atleast hundreds) of posts here and other places as well.

relax take your time dont chase it as the earth is round so it will be back again as for your prep i find just a good quality moisturising soap does me . oh and just a reminder no preasure .. have fun .

I blame all of you for my haste in chasing a BBS result.

I'll look into the Stirling as I'm finding similar with the Proraso.

+1 to BBS over-emphasis and to Proraso soaps being less than top notch. There are plenty of soaps with great performance, all across the range of costs.

The main thing to me is the attitude you demonstrate in your posts. I think you'll get where you are going, enjoy the process, and pick your way through the many perspectives without a problem. :thumbup:

Can't go wrong with a 34C. It's started many people in wet shaving and continues to provide excellent shaves.
Funny you say that. I didn't get why people had so many different razors, so many different blades, soaps, etc. I came in thinking I would find a kit that works and stick with it—I thought of it almost as a utility.

Now I get it. I'm fully indoctrinated. You evil bastards have made me a shave junkie! The relaxing escape the process of shaving provides and the rewarding feeling of accomplishment when it goes right is something that can't be explained, it has to be experienced.

Oh boy so I was not the only one who tried to learn to shave with a qshave futul to learn it the bloody way.

It took me some time and stubournes and the right blade (Gilette Silver Blue) to tame that beast. And I stil use it since that combo gives me a wonderful bbs if I take proper care.

If you match up with the merkur take the merkur until you want something else.

And if that is a qshave make sure the head and blade are properly aligned and start with 0 and build it up.
Try a different blade mine is very picky.

Have fun with your journey!

Top Bottom