What's new

Just like Grampa used to shave

The continuous-roller gas station towel, and it's accompanying dirty bar of soap, is frequently mentioned ... Wonder if they had that in the women's bathroom?

AA
Yes, they did, but everything was clean...and worked!
I know. As an under five-year-old, I was wont to frequent the ladies lounge, and did so with impunity!
In fact, they were every where, not just at filling stations. And when they worked, you got a clean portion of cloth towelling to dry your hands and face with. A luxury by to-day's standards. Now it's either a hot-air blaster (or an impotent warm-air huffer), or a square of coarse paper that disintegrates into wet shreds in your hands, that is...if the dispenser isn't empty, or too tightly packed to pry one out!
Of course, they didn't always work. They would frequently jam...or the roll would be at it's end...or the spool of towelling would unravel and hang to the floor. Some models came with a built-in mirror, which was probably great in the 1930's when it was new...but I could never see anything in them...unless it was scratches or graffiti.
Those of a certain age know that the bar of soap was not original to the set-up.
The sinks of that era were complemented by a wall-mounted glass orb that dispensed liquid soap into your hand (or onto the floor) simply by pressing up on the protruding button mechanism.
I still have fond memories of the smell of that institutional soap, it was pink as I recall....
Now, if we could just get a shaving soap in that scent, all the old codgers would be in heaven!
Ahh!...institutional soaps, urinal cakes, and advancing towel-rolls. The Millennials ain't got nothin' on us!
And don't forget the ash-trays!
Sorry...what was thread about anyway?
soap dispenser.jpg

Loved that pink soap, I 'am going to see if ebay has one i can get. Bidding on one of them wall mounted juke boxes now that plays 45's 16" tall 32" wide. A Crazy Texican has it

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Admit it. You folks missed me!

I finally decided to shave with that old Marvy brush again, to see which would win: my face or the brush.

My intent was to use my GSB blade that has 52 shaves on it, but then I remembered: I was gifted some really interesting blades from @awa54 for Christmas (well, they came around Christmas time, so I have to assume that they were meant as a present).

The blade I chose was my first time using a CARBON STEEL blade! Here's proof:
IMG_20210103_180651052.jpg
This was the setup:
IMG_20210103_180508007.jpg
That Marvy hasn't been rinsed since July 5th? 2019. That's probably dried up soap in the bristles since August of 2020.

The razor is the one I put together from the handle from @L.A. Jones & the head from @Tanuki .

The chunks of soap came from @Chandu . I think it's pieces of the Gilded Hand and vintage Williams. As you can see, not rinsing a brush is ideal for a nice rich lather:IMG_20210103_181356394.jpg
The blade scared me. I had no idea what to expect, so I REALLY soaked my beard with a hot wet towel. For a long time, probably 2 minutes.

I did 3 passes. Got a tiny weeper on my upper lip. The shave was so smooth that I got careless. Didn't feel it till I saw the tiny bit o' blood. Aftershave took care of it:
IMG_20210104_152721588.jpg
This lovely stuff came around Christmas time too. From @Rrose Sélavy . Stopped the weeper in it's tracks.

Label says "Made in France" I'm pretty sure. Smells a little bit powdery to my nose, like a Barbershop smell? Not overpowering at all. My lovely War Department loved it.

Not sure when I'll use that brush again. Believe it or not: it didn't shed a single hair!

Happy New Year everyone.

The blade scared me. I had no idea what to expect, so I REALLY soaked my beard with a hot wet towel. For a long time, probably 2 minutes.

I did 3 passes. Got a tiny weeper on my upper lip. The shave was so smooth that I got careless. Didn't feel it till I saw the tiny bit o' blood. Aftershave took care of it:

Happy New Year everyone.

The Treet carbon blades are excellent, just don't expect more than half the shaves you'd get from a stainless blade. The "Silver" and "Black Beauty" aren't as smooth as Dura Sharps or New Steel, but aren't at all scary either (unless you let one rust, then try to shave with it... ouch!).

The Tatra and Tiger carbon blades are another story altogether... be scared of those, I didn't nick myself or get weepers from them, but I also didn't get through a full pass with either (and that on just one days' growth).

If those Czech blades are like the blades Grampa had to use, I'm amazed anyone went clean shaven back then!

(full disclosure, my father's father died before I was born and my mother's father shaved with a sharpened butter knife, so I have no real point of reference there ;) )

I finally decided to shave with that old Marvy brush again, to see which would win: my face or the brush.

My intent was to use my GSB blade that has 52 shaves on it, but then I remembered: I was gifted some really interesting blades from @awa54 for Christmas (well, they came around Christmas time, so I have to assume that they were meant as a present).

The blade I chose was my first time using a CARBON STEEL blade! Here's proof:
View attachment 1204239
This was the setup:
View attachment 1204240
That Marvy hasn't been rinsed since July 5th? 2019. That's probably dried up soap in the bristles since August of 2020.

The razor is the one I put together from the handle from @L.A. Jones & the head from @Tanuki .

The chunks of soap came from @Chandu . I think it's pieces of the Gilded Hand and vintage Williams. As you can see, not rinsing a brush is ideal for a nice rich lather:View attachment 1204243

View attachment 1204244
This lovely stuff came around Christmas time too. From @Rrose Sélavy . Stopped the weeper in it's tracks.

Label says "Made in France" I'm pretty sure. Smells a little bit powdery to my nose, like a Barbershop smell? Not overpowering at all. My lovely War Department loved it.

Not sure when I'll use that brush again. Believe it or not: it didn't shed a single hair!

Happy New Year everyone.
The REAL question should be "did you spritz a bit of Amouge Jubilation XXV after your shave???"

Oh my. Dude. She HATED that. I loved it. Go figure. And I could smell it the next day!
Weird how that works, eh? I guess you'll have to wait for her to be out of town or something...

P.S. One spray is all you need. Jubilation is a BEAST!

P.P.S. She hates it more than Arko? Dang...

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Looks good to me. Your hair looks like that of my paternal grandfather. You know, the one I wish I took after hair wise.

FarmerTan

Finally got around to shaving this week.

A LONG time ago, back in March, @MyOldKentuckyHome sent me some samples of the new "Seaforth" shaving soap and aftershave. Then I lost my sense of smell and FINALLY used it today. If you have been wondering about this scent, I can't tell you how close it is to the original, but it is "Mahvelous, baby!" My lovely War Department was walking by the open bathroom door (probably trying to catch a glimpse of me sans shirt?) and I made her sniff my face mid shave. She said, "I like it, it smells spicy!" High praise, as she rarely likes any of my scent choices!

I used a razor head that @bjm sent me this week because I'd never tried one: a Gillette NEW Short Comb! I've been lazier than a pet 'coon all week and hadn't shaved since I THINK Saturday night, so it wasn't a fair test. I also used that Gillette Silver Blue blade for the 56th time to make it even more unfair!
My brush was one that @shavefan gave me that I have been known to not rinse on a regular basis. It was clean for this shave, but I didn't rinse it afterwards. I'm going to dedicate it to this Heather sample until it's all gone.

I did a two pass shave. No touch ups. I'm working on a theory that maybe if I don't chase BBS I'll be wanting to shave more often. Well, here I sit in my Lazyarseboy and I rubbed my incredibly handsome face and guess what? It's close enough to BBS that I will claim victory. I should add that I just wet my face with water for the second pass. The left over soap left plenty of slickness, and this was the blade's 56th use!

Followed it all up with the Heather aftershave. If you like alcohol burn like I do you will be disappointed. BUT (that's supposed to be a BIG butt, get it?) I don't know if I have ever used a more, I don't know, nourishing? aftershave in my life. No kidding! AND: it's been close to 2 hours since I applied it AND I CAN STILL SMELL IT! Without rubbing my hands on my face!

The scent reminds me a very little of a Bay Rum. That's actually the closest I can come to a descriptor. I have a limited vocabulary and a stupid nose, so don't take my word for it, just buy it, seriously!

Oh! I have to add that the handle was a gift from @Tanuki along with a NEW Long Comb that is my default razor. After the way that Short Comb performed today though, it might kick it out of first place!

I'm going to post a picture. Note that the bowl is hand made. I used it to soak my boar brush while I was in the shower. Just before Covid shut everything down I had the incredible pleasure of attending one of my Nephew's high skool jazz band concerts, and the Arts department was selling chilli as a fundraiser for a family that (if I recall correctly) had their house burn down. The bowls were all made by the young folks, and you could pay extra for a bowl, which of course I did! Then afterwards, whatever bowls were left over they were selling too! I'm a sucker for Art stuff, and furthering edumication, so I bought a few extra.

You have GOT to see this picture:
IMG_20210421_184830975.jpg

Comment if you want me to post on this thread more often! I think the mods would like to keep me in my room more often!

If you DON'T want me to post ANYWHERE more often, please keep it to yourself. I'm still recovering from Covid-19 and deserve some sympathy doggone!

Thank you for your time folks. A bunch of you are closer to me than family, Dave, the Tanned Farmer

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Finally got around to shaving this week.

A LONG time ago, back in March, @MyOldKentuckyHome sent me some samples of the new "Seaforth" shaving soap and aftershave. Then I lost my sense of smell and FINALLY used it today. If you have been wondering about this scent, I can't tell you how close it is to the original, but it is "Mahvelous, baby!" My lovely War Department was walking by the open bathroom door (probably trying to catch a glimpse of me sans shirt?) and I made her sniff my face mid shave. She said, "I like it, it smells spicy!" High praise, as she rarely likes any of my scent choices!

I used a razor head that @bjm scent me this week because I'd never tried one: a Gillette NEW Short Comb! I've been lazier than a pet 'coon all week and hadn't shaved since I THINK Saturday night, so it wasn't a fair test. I also used that Gillette Silver Blue blade for the 56th time to make it even more unfair!
My brush was one that @shavefan gave me that I have been known to not rinse on a regular basis. It was clean for this shave, but I didn't rinse it afterwards. I'm going to dedicate it to this Heather sample until it's all gone.

I did a two pass shave. No touch ups. I'm working on a theory that maybe if I don't chase BBS I'll be wanting to shave more often. Well, here I sit in my Lazyarseboy and I rubbed my incredibly handsome face and guess what? It's close enough to BBS that I will claim victory. I should add that I just wet my face with water for the second pass. The left over soap left plenty of slickness, and this was the blade's 56th use!

Followed it all up with the Heather aftershave. If you like alcohol burn like I do you will be disappointed. BUT (that's supposed to be a BIG butt, get it?) I don't know if I have ever used a more, I don't know, nourishing? aftershave in my life. No kidding! AND: it's been close to 2 hours since I applied it AND I CAN STILL SMELL IT! Without rubbing my hands on my face!

The scent reminds me a very little of a Bay Rum. That's actually the closest I can come to a descriptor. I have a limited vocabulary and a stupid nose, so don't take my word for it, just buy it, seriously!

Oh! I have to add that the handle was a gift from @Tanuki along with a NEW Long Comb that is my default razor. After the way that Short Comb performed today though, it might kick it out of first place!

I'm going to post a picture. Note that the bowl is hand made. Just before Covid shut everything down I had the incredible pleasure of attending one of my Nephew's high skool jazz band concerts, and the Arts department was selling chilli as a fundraiser for a family that (if I recall correctly) had their house burn down. The bowls were all made by the young folks, and you could pay extra for a bowl, which of course I did! Then afterwards, whatever bowls were left over they were selling too! I'm a sucker for Art stuff, and furthering edumication, so I bought a few extra.

You have GOT to see this picture:
View attachment 1255085

Comment if you want me to post on this thread more often! I think the mods would like to keep in my room more often!

If you DON'T want me to post ANYWHERE more often, please keep it to yourself. I'm still recovering from Covid-19 and deserve some sympathy doggone!

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better Dave. Love reading your posts (stories really), always brings a smile to my face.

FarmerTan

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better Dave. Love reading your posts (stories really), always brings a smile to my face.
I think I've told you before, but you really need a better class of losers for friends, but I'm sure glad you have poor taste in that department!

Top Bottom