What's new

Gillette Platinum (Swede), wow!

Just tried the modern Swede in my Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and the sharpness does seem a bit higher than the 3/5 I gave it before, I'd say it's comparable to the regular Gillette Platinum. Awesome blades!

After a couple more shaves with these blades I have to conclude that they are just not sharp enough for me. It's a very safe and smooth blade but the end result is just not close enough..

After a couple more shaves with these blades I have to conclude that they are just not sharp enough for me. It's a very safe and smooth blade but the end result is just not close enough..

It's really fascinating how differently a blade can work for disparate users... In my use, these are among the closest shaving blades, right up there with some aggressively "sharp" ones that leave me feeling scraped afterward.

I think you may just need a Moloko Velocette before your shave, that'll change your outlook on these ;)

I have two identical red tips. I had my lady friend load one with a silver blue and the other with a blue box platinum for a 1/2 shave blind test. Results: Technique played a big part. I got the closest shave on the right side of my face (dominant hand) every time no matter what blade I was using. They both lasted 8 half shaves. I really can't say one was better than the other, smoother or sharper. YMMV but for me it was a tie. I honestly believe they are the same blade. Shave results, aftershave burn, and irritation were identical. I have often wondered if Russian Gillettes are the same blade in different packages. My curiosity on this issue is satisfied. I think expectations play a lot in finding differences.

Anyone else think the Russians are all alike or maybe two different blades at the most?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just trying to get this straight...these Gillette blades are made in Sweden?

I have a few hundred Platinums in blue/white packaging that have arabic print down
the side. As arab folk have some of the most resilient beard growth on the planet, I
postulate that what's good for arab beards is good for me.

And that has proven to be true. What I truly love about the Platinum is that it does not
have that slightly wild and untamed sharpness I've experienced in a Feather. This baby is
sharp and smooth in equal measure.

Oh, and I've found the GSBs to be more of an acolyte of Feathers.

Just trying to get this straight...these Gillette blades are made in Sweden?

According to shaving forum/internet lore:

The original "Swede" (blue and white packaging, stainless "platinum" blades) seems to have been a Polish made blade that was packaged in a distinctive blue and white color scheme for sale in the Swedish market. These original Swedes had Gillette of Sweden's address on the pack, so blades that made it to other markets became known as Swedes.

The blades being discussed here are Russian made and again, are in a blue and white package that uses a near identical logo to the original, and seem to have been primarily targeted for the Swedish market.

Since they resemble those original Gillette platinum blades, insofar as they've excellent performing platinum blades and seemingly targeted at the same market as the originals, someone started calling them Swedes and it seems to have stuck.

This according to the BBC:

People also ask
What vegetable is called a Swede?
A member of the cabbage family, the swede is often confused with the turnip, though they look quite different. It's also known as yellow turnip, Swedish turnip and Russian turnip and, in America, rutabaga.

😆

Shaving forum/internet lore?

I hope no one turns the journey of the "Swede" into an Icelandic Saga. It would be as exciting as reading Kafka.

Shaving forum/internet lore?

I hope no one turns the journey of the "Swede" into an Icelandic Saga. It would be as exciting as reading Kafka.

I was attempting to be tongue-in-cheek and to also imply that there were no first person sources for my "unofficial history of the Swede"

It *did* seemingly invade and at least partially conquer Britain though... ;)

Several more of each platinum blade later, I think that if there is a difference between the two, it's subtle. Maybe the steel is different, but uses the same sharpening and coating process? vice versa?

Either way, both iterations of the PPI Platinum are excellent, smooth and last at least 5-7 shaves before any decrease in quality or feel of the shave.

GSBs are a whole different animal though, not as smooth, or as sharp (based on closeness results, not face feel for sharpness). The GSB isn't bad at all, just not as good as either Plat.

Last edited:
The funny thing about the silver blue are the reactions to it. Many in the forum say it is sharper than the plat, and an almost equal number take the opposing view. Some like myself find no difference. When you get into the premium blades of the same manufacture the law of diminished returns come into play rapidly. Is there really a noticeable difference at this level? YMMV is an absolute law in DE shaving.

It's pretty remarkable how different reactions to a given blade are from each of us, but just like food or scent, we all have subtly different physiology and learned preferences/prejudices that guide our likes and dislikes. With all the additional variables of razor, soap, technique, etc. it's really not surprising that only a few blades ever get (near)universal acclaim.

All I can know for certain is what blades I enjoy using the most and that my preference is for blades that have the ability to deliver useable blade feel without perceived harshness and DFS in two passes, with minor touch up.

Bonus points are issued for longevity and economy, but ultimate/BBS closeness isn't required (or desired really, since a true BBS shave usually leads to at least one or two ingrown whiskers) and one of my favorite blades maxes out at just 2-3 shaves.

...and of course I reserve the right to change my mind!

I'm interested to know if this is different from the regular platinum. Any able to compare them?

G plat.jpg

I'm interested to know if this is different from the regular platinum. Any able to compare them?

View attachment 1216039

Several opinions are put forth in the preceding three pages of this thread...

TLDR:

The only way to be certain if you find them to be meaningfully different is to try both, but I'd say that if you like one, you'll also like the other and any perceived differences will be very minor (perhaps just batch variation).

I've never used a GSB or either Gillette Platinums (Blue/white or new blue box) but I did place an order with Razor Blade Club for the new solid blue Platinums. $17 for 100. Sounds like you can't go wrong with any of them. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Well I know the plat works in my Parker variant and the gsb in my qshave futul but not the other way around.
And I have got the old platinums

Last edited:
I tried the King C Gillette blades over the weekend on a nearly botched road trip (packed all of my shaving gear except the blades--kind of a worthless feeling). I liked the King C Gillette blades I got at Walgreens so much that I am looking to see if they are a rebranded copy of something less expensive.

Many are speculating they are the BBP's. I bought some of the BBP's and TCBP's noted above to test against them and will report back. Without wanting to wreck this thread (apologies to the OP), I did want to invite some of you on this thread to share your opinion if you have ever tried the King C Gillette blades.

King C Gillette Blade thread

I finally got around to trying the tuck of Nacets I have had for a year. I agree with Benoni they are sharper and closer, but you need to keep your mind on what you are doing or they will draw blood.

I'll order more Nacets, but for now I am satisfied with the blue box plat and Astra SP as daily shavers. Really decent two pass results with great speed. Both of the latter blades remind me of the Personna IP red, smooth and similar results. They will will serve as a replacement.

Nacets are in a class by themselves. I guess that is the best way to describe them.

Last edited:
I tried the King C Gillette blades over the weekend on a nearly botched road trip (packed all of my shaving gear except the blades--kind of a worthless feeling). I liked the King C Gillette blades I got at Walgreens so much that I am looking to see if they are a rebranded copy of something less expensive.

Many are speculating they are the BBP's. I bought some of the BBP's and TCBP's noted above to test against them and will report back. Without wanting to wreck this thread (apologies to the OP), I did want to invite some of you on this thread to share your opinion if you have ever tried the King C Gillette blades.

King C Gillette Blade thread

Looking forward to reading your findings! I really enjoy the King C Gillette blades but they're too expensive!

Top Bottom