What's new

Blackbird Titanium

Probably Boxing Day is the most relaxing and enjoyable day of the year as far as I’m concerned. Lots of sausages in the house, jammies, grandpa slippers, football and Guinness. So a bit of reading fits in quite well.

It’s been a while now I’ve been following topics about the Blackbird razors. Never been too sure about the handle design or the blade feel opinions; what intrigued me was the smoothness mentioned in almost every review.
I like mild razors; nevertheless, I don’t mind using wide gaps for the first pass. Then I must dial in a different setting for the rest of the shave. I’m an adjustable fellow, so I’m quite reluctant in using aggressive razors for a full shave.

For whatever reason, I always go back to these topics, the Blackland website, to finally end up asking myself the same question: what do I do?

I pulled the trigger today and ordered the titanium Blackbird. I’ve never used a titanium-made razor. I’ve never even seen one in real life. I also don’t think paying a premium price for titanium is necessary. Will I like the light weight, will I manage to have a comfortable shave with an aggressive razor?
It’s done now anyway... hopefully it’ll fit well in my den.

If you ever tried one, what was your experience?

P.S. Compared with the SS, is titanium more prone to scratches?

Happy Boxing Day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I never used a Blackbird razor or a titanium for that matter but I do have a Henson razor in aluminum that is in my rotation and I have no problem with using it. Sometimes I appreciate the lightness of it. It definitely feels more nimble than my Rockwell 6S. I don't think that you will have any problems adapting to the lightness of it.

Thanks everyone for your input on Ti Razors! I actually pulled the trigger and got the @Blackland Razors Blackbird. I ended up choosing Blackbird because I consider Ti as jewellery, so, I heavily factored how the razor would look on my display. Since this is a big investment, I could get quite petty about any aesthetic issues (there is actually little to none). Despite that, Shane was very patient and nice towards all my questions and requests.

View attachment 1196220
View attachment 1196221

Finally able to use the razor for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised that it gave me one of my rare 10/10 shaves! I'm not sure if it's just the razor or happened to choose a good combination of products. I did the standard 3 passes, no need for touch-up or alum. I did notice some drag, but only when passing an area that no longer has shaving cream. Otherwise, the shave was very smooth. The lightweight razor gave a good buffer if I accidentally pressed a bit more on certain areas, avoiding nicks and razor burn. I also think the angular design of the head would slightly correct your skin for an optimal angle. As SCh5 mentioned, the razor maintains the same temperature throughout the shave due to the oxide layer, while other razors would take on the temperature of the water you rinse it with.

View attachment 1196223

Probably a little known fact: The machined finish leaves a lined tactile texture that would give you a secure grip while shaving.

There is still plenty of time for my opinions to change, but, I'm really loving this razor so far! 😄

Products used:
Preshave: Proraso Green
Razor: Ti Machined Blackbird
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Parker Black & Chrome Synthetic
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe
Aftershave: Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe

Well, it is indeed very smooth. Shane(Blackland Razors) and a few very knowledgeable individuals discussed in detail why that would be so. tl;dr: it seems to be the combination of the light weight of Titanium and it's poor heat conductivity.

Well, it is indeed very smooth. Shane(Blackland Razors) and a few very knowledgeable individuals discussed in detail why that would be so. tl;dr: it seems to be the combination of the light weight of Titanium and it's poor heat conductivity.

Great thread, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a stainless Blackbird and it is a fantastic razor. I'm sure the titanium razor is also off the charts. To me, they are the best looking razors on the market with excellent performance to boot.

I have always wanted to enjoy the Blackbird, I bought my first one on Kickstarter, After trying the original, Machined, Jet and Brass I found I loved the end result but never found it to be as smooth as other razors I owned. Until I tried the titanium, Yes there is blade feel but even ATG it was smooth, I think this is the perfect combination of design and material, I really am enjoying my new Ti BB. I have had no issues with my Titanium razors scratching compared to SS but I do take them apart after every shave and rinse them, dry with a microfiber Lancaster towel before putting them back together without a blade.

I just had my 1st shave with the Ti Blackbird. It's Simply Brilliant and I prefer it MUCH more than the Stainless Steel version. It's lightweight characteristic make the Bird very nimble and it encourages a light touch resulting in an even smoother operator. Imo the Titanium feels gentler than the Stainless steel version, especially Against The Grain. Ti Bird exceeded my high expectations and It delivered a Great Shaving Experience! After 3 passes, (I really only needed 2 passes) the Blackbird Ti left my face smooth as glass.

Outstanding Razor, and I'm very happy with the Titanium Blackbird.

I want a Ti Bird Very Badly....But I LOVE the 100mm handle on my SSbird and can't get on board with a 85mm ...I get so much control with the 100mm...So I am stuck wanting something that I can't have...lol

I just had my 1st shave with the Ti Blackbird. It's Simply Brilliant and I prefer it MUCH more than the Stainless Steel version. It's lightweight characteristic make the Bird very nimble and it encourages a light touch resulting in an even smoother operator. Imo the Titanium feels gentler than the Stainless steel version, especially Against The Grain. Ti Bird exceeded my high expectations and It delivered a Great Shaving Experience! After 3 passes, (I really only needed 2 passes) the Blackbird Ti left my face smooth as glass.

Outstanding Razor, and I'm very happy with the Titanium Blackbird.

Happy days, that's great to hear!! Enjoy your shaves!
Looking so forward to receiving mine!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I want a Ti Bird Very Badly....But I LOVE the 100mm handle on my SSbird and can't get on board with a 85mm ...I get so much control with the 100mm...So I am stuck wanting something that I can't have...lol
I’m with you. If Shane ever offers the Ti Bird in 101mm, I’ll be all over it. I’ve learned patience in 2020.

Got it today. 1st shave in the evening.
Perfect balance between efficiency, aggressiveness, weight, smoothness. It's a great wee looker as well!

Steep angle, it worked like a charm. Zero feedback from the alum stone.

I know it's just the first shave, but I'm really impressed! :)

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

I love my Blackbird Ti but my technique goes in and out from good to bad and I got a less than stellar shave with it the other day meaning there was some irritation after and yet I couldn’t get a bbs shave Under and around my chin even with multiple XTG passes. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Or maybe I just need to go back to milder razors.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Map your beard.

Build a fantastic lather.

Use a Feather blade (3 shaves, then toss).

Relax and be patient.

Minimal pressure.

Steep angle.

Short strokes.

Three passes plus touchups - then stop.

Nourish your face post shave with a nice balm (I use Nivea) + Hyaluronic Acid.

Apply Aftershave and/or Fragrance after the balm dries.

Enjoy your wonderful shave. :)

The Ti Blackbird is among the top razors in my Big Dogs Rotation. :cool:

Hope this helps. :)

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Great. Just great. Every time 1 razor arrives, 1-2 get added to the “must-have” list. Case in point, Back Roads Gold refurbished Fatboy (excellent workmanship), brass Karve and Rex Ambassador arrived in 3-week period. In same interval, Henson Al, Wolfman stainless and now Blackbird Ti have been added to the list. Oh, and the unobtanium Floid Original aftershave.

I have all the gentlemen on this post to thank for worthy advice, and only myself to blame for a bad case of RAD.

3E9A5E1B-3AA8-47F5-B562-D71A7669DF4A.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great. Just great. Every time 1 razor arrives, 1-2 get added to the “must-have” list. Case in point, Back Roads Gold refurbished Fatboy (excellent workmanship), brass Karve and Rex Ambassador arrived in 3-week period. In same interval, Henson Al, Wolfman stainless and now Blackbird Ti have been added to the list. Oh, and the unobtanium Floid Original aftershave.

I have all the gentlemen on this post to thank for worthy advice, and only myself to blame for a bad case of RAD.

View attachment 1304932

That's the spirit! :cool:

Thanks NSL! Going back to it today. Shorter strokes. All of it. I’ve had such great shaves with it, I just have to remember my technique.

Top Bottom