What's new

Suggestions requested for long time Arko user

I have a typical skin allergy to wool. I cannot wear it without getting a lot of irritation and itch. Will this prevent me from using MWF?

If you have not tried, Tabac, I agree with the others. I use it 85% of my shaves. If it was all there was, I'd be content. Slickness varies by how wet your lather is

Title pretty much says it. I've used Arko exclusively since I started wet shaving in 2012. No complaints, I just want to try something else.

1. I do not care about scent. Please do not base your suggestions on scent. I am looking for performance only.
2. I am looking for something that is even more slick than Arko.
3. I am not looking for the "best bargain". I already have that. Arko is ridiculously cheap. However, I would like to stay in the "good value" area.

So there it is. There is nothing wrong with Arko. I could shave with it for the rest of my life and not be dissatisfied. I've simply come near the end of my 12 stick box (took 8 years, and that's after giving a few sticks away) and would like to try something else.

Let's hear your suggestions for something you think produces slicker lather than Arko that won't break the bank.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
You’re right. Consistency to any and all parts of Your Shave will provide efficiency and comfort. I am not a soap Fan Boy or soap guru. After a dozen or so soaps across the spectrum it was very easy for me to settle on Vitos. I use seven different brushes and Vitos is extremely easy to lather. I found Vitos to be my best choice. I have a tub of Arko and I have used it for breaking in brushes. I did not care for the scent. I found Arko less lubricating than Vitos. I do not care for the almond scent of Vitos and leave the lid off which all but diminishes the scent. The 1000ml may challenge your eight year run. I didn’t do the arithmetic but the cost will be appropriate or improved. You can buy a sample size or 100ml tub. I purchased mine from Connaught.

Attachments

• 5BAB46E5-F204-457D-A159-326F998CD2D9.jpeg
    5BAB46E5-F204-457D-A159-326F998CD2D9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • EF50E234-4FDD-46C9-A75B-6D2645EC5131.jpeg
    EF50E234-4FDD-46C9-A75B-6D2645EC5131.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I have a typical skin allergy to wool. I cannot wear it without getting a lot of irritation and itch. Will this prevent me from using MWF?
Most assuredly pass on anything with lanolin in the ingredient list, as this is what most folks react to.

Vitos coco red, brick 1000 ml with tallow and glycerin is my advice. In Europe it costs 10 euros, it is as cheap as Arko, it smells ok and exceptional mechanical properties.
IMG_20201217_153914.jpg

Yes, I also use Cella brick. Vitos is very close to Cella. The smell is similar to marzipan, bitter almonds but stronger in Cella and more discreet in Vitos, similar consistency, excellent mechanical qualities in both. It is difficult to choose between them. Cella should be tried before buying because some people do not tolerate it well and have allergic skin reactions. Vitos is cheaper and better tolerated by the skin. After shaving, the skin feels more hydrated if I use Vitos, but this is solved using a conditioner. After shaving. So it is difficult to choose between Cella and Vitos, both must be tried.

Tabak is what you are looking for. It is the easiest soap to lather I have come across. Fine uses the same base so it offers additional scents. I really like Fine Platinum. Unfortunately Fine has had to discontinue their soap. Their contract manufacture decided to close down their plant so what you can still find is going to be it until they decide how to go forward with their soap offerings.

Tabak is what you are looking for. It is the easiest soap to lather I have come across. Fine uses the same base so it offers additional scents. I really like Fine Platinum. Unfortunately Fine has had to discontinue their soap. Their contract manufacture decided to close down their plant so what you can still find is going to be it until they decide how to go forward with their soap offerings.
They are moving forward with a croap style, that is made in Italy it seems.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom