What's new

Gillette Platinum (Swede), wow!

The RBC prices are best for the BPP/Swede and mine are arriving tomorrow (well later today really) in just over two weeks delivered from Sweden. The Bulgarian sourced blades are hot on their heels, with about a two and a half week delivery to the USA, but cost a few bucks more per hundred.

I believe that all of the Ebay offers of 50 blades are currently either the old style package (TCPP=blue/silver/white) or are from Razor Blades Club in Sweden at $20 for 50, vs. $17 for 100 (+$3 S&H for any size order) if you buy direct from their web site.

At $10 for 50, or $13 to 16 for 100 count pricing (off Ebay, multiple US sellers, free S&H) the TCPPs are a great deal and well worth checking out in addition to the blue package "Swedes".

@Forged That's some classic YMMV (and coincidence), as I shaved this morning with a Wizamet SI (RR Mamba .53/Proraso red) and was underwhelmed by the smoothness compared to either the BPP or TCPP and it didn't feel (or perform) like it was any sharper than either. All three however are (IMO) top ten performers in sharpness and smoothness, so that's not a very harsh knock against the Wizamet.

I'm still wondering if my perceptions of the two Gillette Plat blades are more differentiated by how my shave is going on any given day, as the best shaves from either feel almost identical... I plan to keep both of my GC .68s loaded with one of each, so I can continue trading off between them and see if my feeling that the Swede has a slight advantage vanishes as I have more shaves to base that opinion on.

Last edited:
I've done three order with Razor Blade Club and I'm very satisfied with the prices, service, and time to delivery. I bought a 100 of the blue boxed platinum and will now stock up before, like everything else I like, they disappear.

I hope the blade dispenser makes a return. There is more danger in getting cut while prying the wrapper off the wax covered blade than shaving with it.

What the Swedes looked like:

swede 1.jpg Swede 2.jpg

Though the term "Swede" was adopted (because of the "Stockholm" on back of card),
they were known to be made in Poland. Were truly amazing blades.

What the Swedes looked like:

View attachment 1188889 View attachment 1188890

Though the term "Swede" was adopted (because of the "Stockholm" on back of card),
they were known to be made in Poland. Were truly amazing blades.

So the term Swede really does need to be in quotes!

To be clear I guess we ought to call them PPI "Swedes", somehow that's easier and more satisfying than Gillette Blue Package Platinum 😬

As a side note, unalloyed platinum is very soft, I'm not sure how it would "harden" a steel edge and I've never seen it mentioned in a cutlery alloy in all my knife steel geekery... though some odd stuff does make it in there these days like niobium (which makes carbides, a component that probably ought to be minimized in a razor blade steel). It is however extremely corrosion and abrasion resistant, which *would* make sense for an edge coating.

In the manufacturing process they heat the blade to add the Teflon. This weakens the steel, its lifespan, and makes it more susceptible to corrosion. Platinum is usually alloyed with chrome to strengthen the edge as well as add anticorrosion properties. At least that is my understanding, but I've been wrong before.

Maybe that is what they are saying by adding platinum hardened edges on the package.

I really don't remember the "Swedes" being available in the U.S. . I remember the spoiler and the platinum plus but they never specified what the plus was.

In the manufacturing process they heat the blade to add the Teflon. This weakens the steel, its lifespan, and makes it more susceptible to corrosion. Platinum is usually alloyed with chrome to strengthen the edge as well as add anticorrosion properties. At least that is my understanding, but I've been wrong before.

Maybe that is what they are saying by adding platinum hardened edges on the package.

I really don't remember the "Swedes" being available in the U.S. . I remember the spoiler and the platinum plus but they never specified what the plus was.

Back when the genuine Swede was in circulation, I think most of the blades for sale in the US were domestically produced, the late 80s and early 90s Gillette Platinum Plus blades were all I could get in my town and were bad enough that I abandoned DE shaving and bought a cartridge razor... *nothing* like these Gillette Platinums!

If blade manufacturers heated the blades enough to weaken them, they would be in effect incorrectly tempered/hardened, which would completely compromise the ability of the blades to take and hold a keen edge.

I don't pretend to fully understand the edge treatment processes used, but that said, I'm fairly certain that all of the coatings used are applied *over* the already heat treated and fully sharpened steel edge. Likely using chemical adhesion, plating or vapor deposition, depending on the coating material.

You are no doubt correct awa54 that the order was sharpen the edge, heated it, and then added the Teflon.

I like these new light blue pack plats. Of course I'm only on my second blade of a hundred.

I really don't remember any blades back in the 60s or 70s that prompted me to pull the slim from my cheek and say WOW. That only happens on commercials

This morning I was back to the BPP and it was *amazing*, especially compared to the shaves I've been getting while checking out some new-to-me blades (ugh, Tiger/Tatra carbon blades are AWFUL!)... So smooth and sharp even on its sixth outing.
I love that this blade delivers pushbutton DFS+ shaves in the GC .68.

Another shave on the TCPP, this one was marred by the faintest whisper of harshness... barely perceptible, but compared to the BPP at 7 shaves, or earlier shaves on this blade it was there. The result however was spectacular, I'm still feeling like I just had a DFS- shave and it's 10 hours since I shaved!

First outing with A&E L'Orange Vert, a great complex orange-ey scent and dense slick lather! Not much residual slickness though, so touch-ups require at least a little re-application.

Seven shaves in the BPP is sliding, but far from unuseable. Still smooth, but not as good the first five shaves, slightly ahead of the TCPP, but that may just be sample variation, I hesitate to read too much into the performance of just these two blades.

Rather than go for a full-on max shaves contest, I think I'll treat myself to a fresh set of Platinum blades and see if the next two weeks of shaving mirrors the experience of these two.

Either way, I have no regrets about buying 100 packs of both blades, one may be slightly better than the other (or not?), but they're both exceptional on my face!

So I popped a vintage Personna SPC (Super Platinum Chrome) blade in the GC to get a reference shave as compared to the two Gillette Platinums. I believe that both Gillette blades are smoother on the face than the Personna, though the vintage blades are still exceptional in that respect.

As far as shave quality and closeness of the shave all three deliver absolute top tier closeness, with the SPC getting closer on the first two passes, but the Gillettes being smooth enough that adding a few extra swipes at odd angles in the problem spots causes no irritation whatsoever.

Where they diverge is how long these characteristics last: The TCPP seems to have 5 to 7 superbe shaves in it, the BPP 6 to 10 and the SPC 10 to 30, all above average as I get 2 to 5 acceptable shaves from most other blades.

I reserve the right to revise my stated opinion that the TCPP and BPP are not the same blade, since batch or even individual blade variation may be accounting for the difference in number of shaves that I've observed. After all, I have gotten as few as a week of shaves from SPCs before and had one 74* Super (the two are nearly identical except for packaging) go from February to late fall with regular use.

Either way, they're both fantastic blades that are probably going to unseat the SPC as my everyday blade, I can't recommend them highly enough!

After a few more shaves on SPCs, I have to say that as good as those blades are, both Gillette Platinums are smoother and give just as close a shave with my typical WTG/ATG/XTG 2.5 pass shave. They may not have the potential for extended use that the SPC and 74* Super do, but within their optimum performance envelope both Plats are clearly superior to the vintage Personna blades... I might not buy 900+ of them, but I'll certainly be snagging a few more 100 packs!

I received my 50 modern 'Swedes' from Bulgaria and had my first shave with one today. I rushed into the shave without any prep and I must say that these blades handled it well. While I would only rate them 3/5 for sharpness, I find them to be very smooth and forgiving. I need to try them with different razors and after a good shower to see where I'd rank them but so far I am impressed. My favorite blades are Nacets because I find them extremely sharp (even sharper than Feathers) while still forgiving.

For me, the sharpness is inferred by how close they cut on a per-pass basis, because they certainly don't *feel* sharp the same way something like a 7 O'Clock yellow, Bic Platinum or even a Feather does.

They are sharp enough for me. Why hunt rabbits with a bazooka. I put them slightly above an Astra SP and slightly below a Yellow in Sharpness, but I think the Astra is more consistent as it wears. They work Great in an EJ89 and fabulous in a Red Tip. I'm going to experiment with them in a slim. One thing they are smooth, but do they remind anyone else of a Gillette Russian Green?

I received my 50 modern 'Swedes' from Bulgaria and had my first shave with one today. I rushed into the shave without any prep and I must say that these blades handled it well. While I would only rate them 3/5 for sharpness, I find them to be very smooth and forgiving. I need to try them with different razors and after a good shower to see where I'd rank them but so far I am impressed. My favorite blades are Nacets because I find them extremely sharp (even sharper than Feathers) while still forgiving.

Which Nacet?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
My favorite blades are Nacets because I find them extremely sharp (even sharper than Feathers) while still forgiving.

I agree they are extremely sharp, but for me they are not very forgiving. And that's a shame, cause they come at a good price.

Just tried the modern Swede in my Rockwell 6S (plate 5) and the sharpness does seem a bit higher than the 3/5 I gave it before, I'd say it's comparable to the regular Gillette Platinum. Awesome blades!

Top Bottom