What's new

Opinions on Gibbs Adjustable

What’s your opinion on Gibbs Adjustable 15/17?
How did it work for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Very efficient and smooth on all settings. Blade mods are simple. I trim the tabs on mine, others use a hole punch. I have respect for handle mods which are available now but prefer the head heavy yet incredibly balanced design of the original.

BTW, 15 and 17 are just catalog numbers. Some were also made with no such designation.

Available in both brass and aluminum. The earliest models are slightly more rounded while later models are more angular. Except for one of mine which was modified, the first models could not be completely disassembled. In pictures, the easiest way to spot the differences between the earlier and later models was that the red indicator on the dial was center for the early models instead of atop of the adjustment dial.

The rare Personna Micrometric is a version that takes standard blades. It’s head is slightly slimmer and had direct ties to Gibbs but was made in England. The posts are on the blade tray. Also of note is the rare Spanish made Palmera. Also with ties to Gibbs, it accepted standard blades but the design had the posts affixed to the top cap in a traditional type of design and holes through the blade tray and baseplate.

Modern razor versions which include basic design elements of the Gibbs are the Rex which I own, the Taiga, a Yaqi release which was based (Some feel robbed) off the Heritage Collection Gibbs razor project which had the Palmera design which ultimately did not get produced, a razor based off the Personna design called the Valiant (Ultimately not produced) and the recently released Pearl Flexi brass razor.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I found it very head heavy and totally unbalanced. Many owners, unfortunately in my opinion, change the handles for this reason. I much prefer the number 16 +/- which is better balanced and gives me a superior shave. The number 16 is very under rated in my opinion. 👍

Very efficient and smooth on all settings. Blade mods are simple. I trim the tabs on mine, others use a hole punch. I have respect for handle mods which are available now but prefer the head heavy yet incredibly balanced design of the original.

BTW, 15 and 17 are just catalog numbers. Some were also made with no such designation.

Available in both brass and aluminum. The earliest models are slightly more rounded while later models are more angular. Except for one of mine which was modified, the first models could not be completely disassembled. In pictures, the easiest way to spot the differences between the earlier and later models was that the red indicator on the dial was center for the early models instead of atop of the adjustment dial.

The rare Personna Micrometric is a version that takes standard blades. It’s head is slightly slimmer and had direct ties to Gibbs but was made in England. The posts are on the blade tray. Also of note is the rare Spanish made Palmera. Also with ties to Gibbs, it accepted standard blades but the design had the posts affixed to the top cap in a traditional type of design and holes through the blade tray and baseplate.

Modern razor versions which include basic design elements of the Gibbs are the Rex which I own, the Taiga, a Yaqi release which was based (Some feel robbed) off the Heritage Collection Gibbs razor project which had the Palmera design which ultimately did not get produced, a razor based off the Personna design called the Valiant (Ultimately not produced) and the recently released Pearl Flexi brass razor.

Very informative, thanks! There are some models with diamond carving on the adjustment and the clamping ring vs the (most common) vertical carving. I’m wondering what’s the story behind...

proxy.php

Very informative, thanks! There are some models with diamond carving on the adjustment and the clamping ring vs the (most common) vertical carving. I’m wondering what’s the story behind...

proxy.php

That would be the last generation Gibbs adjustable from what I have seen only in pictures. I read they are identical in shave quality and also completely disassemble like the others. I first thought they were only a mod of one razor a while back when I probably saw the same picture.

That would be the last generation Gibbs adjustable from what I have seen only in pictures. I read they are identical in shave quality and also completely disassemble like the others. I first thought they were only a mod of one razor a while back when I probably saw the same picture.

The downside of these specific models is that the plastic handles don’t have brass inserts. Extremely fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Talking about handles, anyone can recommend someone making replacements (with metal inserts)?

Talking about handles, anyone can recommend someone making replacements (with metal inserts)?

Claudio, a member here, “Clouds” produces brass handles in multiple lengths. His handles are very popular with Gibbs owners and highly rated.

Frugal Shave on Etsy 3D prints handles also. I bought my first Gibbs with an existing FrugalShave handle. Nicely done.

I’m sure there are other vendors. As I mentioned above, I’m pretty happy with the original handles but if you get a crack, it’s all over.

The insert or something similar would probably be available in your local hardware store. I don’t think Claudio’s handles require an insert as they are all brass but don’t have one to know for sure.

Claudio, a member here, “Clouds” produces brass handles in multiple lengths. His handles are very popular with Gibbs owners and highly rated.

Frugal Shave on Etsy 3D prints handles also. I bought my first Gibbs with an existing FrugalShave handle. Nicely done.

I’m sure there are other vendors. As I mentioned above, I’m pretty happy with the original handles but if you get a crack, it’s all over.

The insert or something similar would probably be available in your local hardware store. I don’t think Claudio’s handles require an insert as they are all brass but don’t have one to know for sure.

Thanks! [emoji4]

I use mine with a superb bespoke brass handle from @Clouds. Works wonderfully as it greatly improves the balance. And even if I’m generally a sucker for originality the looks are really growing on me :001_tt1:

R

romsitsa

Evaluation of prices is not allowed here. In general a good price is whatever it's worth for you. Gibbs adjustables are still hyped, so they command high prices.

Top Bottom