What's new

name me some good gillette razors, bit confused

hey peeps so I don't have that much of a collection and Im a noob but I fancy getting something that's vintage and by the brand Gillette, whenever I've checked out eBay I can't tell what's a good razor and what's a good going rate...

so can someone let me know what models are good and what to look out for and the sort of going price for then so I don't pay over the odds for it, any help would be appreciated many thanks Saj 😉

Super speed is a good razor that you can find anywhere (comes in three variations, red tip, blue tip and plain old flare tip). Otherwise there's the fatboy or slim that are adjustable. Lots of others as well.

I think most vintage Gillettes are going to be good, depending on what you're going for...maybe avoid the very late ones from the '80s where they're partially plastic, but even those have their fans. I'm a huge fan of my Gillette NEW (a model from the '30s), but I'm a big fan of aggressive razors. If you want something more mild, you might try a Tech (which is a 3-piece) or a Superspeed (which is a twist-to-open). The only thing I'd really avoid would be the Fatboy Adjustable, and that's just because they're overhyped and overpriced...the Slim is practically the same razor, just a smidge lighter. But if you can find one at a good price, they're definitely good razors, I just don't think they're worth the premium over the Slim.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Just noticed you only shave your head. Don't know if that changes people's input....

Reactions: saj
If you are patient the Slim Adjustable may be obtained for a good price but the New Short comb or Long comb are highly rated. You should also have a Tech in your sights.
Unfortunately outside the USA you are not going to have many choices so you will have to be extremely patient. The BST section is your best bet.

All the Superspeeds (Red, blue and black tips) ((especially red))

Techs

Flare Tips

Fatboy's

Bulldogs...

I'd start with. Tech and/or a Superspeed...regular or red tip
Why especially the red tip? Aren't they the same thing just different colour tips?

If you are patient the Slim Adjustable may be obtained for a good price but the New Short comb or Long comb are highly rated. You should also have a Tech in your sights.
Unfortunately outside the USA you are not going to have many choices so you will have to be extremely patient. The BST section is your best bet.
Yea forgot to say I'm in the uk

Why especially the red tip? Aren't they the same thing just different colour tips?

For the Superspeeds, the tip color indicates aggressiveness. Blue tip is milder than normal Superspeeds, and red is more aggresive. Red tips are quite popular, so they might run a little more expensive than your average Superspeed.

Yea Id prefer aggressive over mild tbh

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention earlier...I'd also avoid the Old Type Gillettes (the kind from the '10s and '20s, before the NEW was introduced). They were made for carbon steel blades, which were thicker than modern stainless ones, and unlike other older razors they kind of relied on the thickness of the blade, so they don't quite work right these days without some kind of shim.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Superspeeds, the tip color indicates aggressiveness. Blue tip is milder than normal Superspeeds, and red is more aggresive. Red tips are quite popular, so they might run a little more expensive than your average Superspeed.

That looks to be a NEW.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention earlier...I'd also avoid the Old Type Gillettes (the kind from the '10s and '20s, before the NEW was introduced). They were made for carbon steel blades, which were thicker than modern stainless ones, and unlike other older razors they kind of relied on the thickness of the blade, so they don't quite work right these days without some kind of shim.
Yea now I understand why you said red tip 👍

Last edited by a moderator:

That looks to be a NEW.

I have a Gillette that was sold to me as a Super Speed. It’s from 1952, according to the date stamp, but the tip does not have a color. Any idea why?

2F7F1213-1C89-432E-9972-AF0EB7582869.jpeg

I love my grandfathers Fatboy its not the bottom dial one its the collar dial, I also gave my best friend a Gem that was really nice, it had a comb on it if I recall that was pretty nice looking and shaved fairly nicely from what I recall after I fixed it up for him for his Christmas gift some years ago.

So I advised Red Tip under the presumption that you would use it to shave your face...not your head. I head shave, too, and definitely recommend a mild barred/closed comb razor that you can get away with buffing ATG with.

Maybe a Tech

Last edited:
I have a Gillette that was sold to me as a Super Speed. It’s from 1952, according to the date stamp, but the tip does not have a color. Any idea why?

View attachment 1193484
That year has the 1940's style no colored tip(might have a few more years I forget) that is different from the regular no colored flair tip. Also, there is a black tip that looks similar. Check out this thread Super Speed Identification

Last edited:
Top Bottom