What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Actually, the sandalwood's a very nice scent. Not all that strong smelling, but fairly persistent, and quite pleasant.

I'm not badmouthing it at all, but, for me, Atomic Age Bay Rum is the bee's knees. I've long been a bay rum fan and have tried a number of them, liking all of 'em, but I like AABR the best of the bay rums I've tried.

I also like the PAA splash called the Beach. It's a small notch below AABR. Several others, mostly variations on the same two themes, bay rum and the Caribbean, all by PAA or Italian Barber, are a very tiny notch before the Beach. This, the sandalwood, is a tiny notch below them, or maybe on the same plane.

BayRum.AtomicAge.CrownKing.480.8-18.JPG

Beach (splash).11-20.640.JPG

10-27-20.PineappleBayRum.10-27-20..640JPG.JPG

I like some variety, but my big go to splashes are these, in that order, L to R.

The original Dragonsbeard is also truly great, but I have only a few drops left. It's KBG.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I forgot to mention the soap. I've had two shaves in a row with this Southern Witchcrafts soap and, so far, I think this is the best soap I've yet used. The drawback is, its very soft which makes it very easy to overload the brush.

It may be because it is so soft and I have been overloading it, even when trying not to, that makes it seem so nice. I'll need a few more shaves with it to sort out how long to load but its given me the richest and creamiest lather of any soap I've used. The slickness, initial and residual, is unmatched.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Last nights shave.

Slim on #4/Fresh Feather.

Southern Witchcrafts.

Maggard synthetic.

Four passes!

No issues during the shave, other than the frustration in needing two ATG passes and still coming out of it with a 'barely BBS' finish.

A very smooth, very mild and very gentle shave. Despite the frantic buffing the last two passes. It wasnt difficult finding the angle either. It wouldnt cut, then it sort of cut, then it cut as well as it could. Maintaining the angle was easy but BBS'ing my jawline both sides and L>R and R>L on my neck was a chore.

The Slim is far more efficient on the higher settings but the increased gap makes me pay a price higher than I'm willing to pay. My Grande and GEM's are far more efficient and just as smooth and comfortable.

Absolutely, Mike.

I could just use an iKon Tech!

Talking of Ikon. My X3 head supposedly got delivered today. But not to my house as far as I can tell.
Probably the postman forgot his glasses this morning and gave someone else the headache of delivering or returning my mail, or throwing it in the trash.
I've been in touch with the vendor and he's going to chase it up from his end. He's agreed to give me a refund if it doesn't turn up in a day or so.

Frustrating! Glad I never bought a handle specially for it.

Other than that. Shaving with the FOCS is getting better with each shave, i'm happy to say. Even although the blade has about six shaves on it so far, it's showing no signs of dulling yet.
How long do these SI blades last typically?

It will be a while before the Wizamets arrive - shipping from Morocco. So, won't be able to compare with the regular Polsilvers just yet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How long do these SI blades last typically?

I used one, easily, to 20 shaves. All 20 shaves were done first pass ATG. On it's 20th shave it was, and may still be, the smoothest blade I've used but I needed a second, smaller, ATG clean up pass.

Cal on the other hand...

120 shaves on a Polsilver Super Iridium,
upload_2017-6-1_0-59-2.png

and done. :001_smile

So somewhere between 20 and 120 shaves, I guess lol. I like the first shave the best but they dont really smooth out for me until shave 4. I remember it got tuggy on shave 12 and again I think at shave 18 but not bad by any means.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In my experience, they last as long as it takes for the postman to bring them from someone who likes them, to me. As soon as I use them, they try to rip the hair from my face.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I use them for more than 20 shaves. Both Polsilver SI and Wizamet SI. Mostly I change one out knowing it could absolutely go longer.

However, that might be too long a time. Or, asking Cal, way too short.

In my experience, they last as long as it takes for the postman to bring them from someone who likes them, to me. As soon as I use them, they try to rip the hair from my face.

Just think Al, how your life would change for the better if you could get along with Polsilvers. :devil:
I jest. :ciappa:

For me, they are pretty much the only DE blade worth using. Just about every other blade I tried after getting my first DE razor, made me want to reach for my trusty Philips Electric Shaver and forget all about wet shaving. Luckily I found SE's, Injectors and Straight razors before I actually gave up.

Now I want to go back to DE's and finish what I started. This should give me a wide range of shaving tools to play with for the future.

Thanks for the tips on the longevity of these blades gents. I'll most likely swap it out once the tugging starts though. I'm a wimp when it comes to uncomfortable shaving. :biggrin:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just think Al, how your life would change for the better if you could get along with Polsilvers. :devil:
I jest. :ciappa:

For me, they are pretty much the only DE blade worth using. Just about every other blade I tried after getting my first DE razor, made me want to reach for my trusty Philips Electric Shaver and forget all about wet shaving. Luckily I found SE's, Injectors and Straight razors before I actually gave up.

Now I want to go back to DE's and finish what I started. This should give me a wide range of shaving tools to play with for the future.

Thanks for the tips on the longevity of these blades gents. I'll most likely swap it out once the tugging starts though. I'm a wimp when it comes to uncomfortable shaving. :biggrin:

Me, too, Doug. Damn Comfortable Shave or nothing.

However, the Polsilver/Wizamet SI blades, for me, remain comfortable for beyond 20 shaves. Plus, the beyond 20 shaves are still good.

However, recently I'm testing an idea: Perhaps the shaves earlier in the life of the blade are actually better (that is closer) than those later on. I'm not stating a conclusion here but an idea based on some observations, an idea worth testing. I'm testing it with closer observation.

I didn't hate all the DE blades prior to Polsilver, but Polsilver SI blades were an instant hit and supplanted all others immediately.

Sounds like you and I won't get kicked out of the fan club.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday continued the experiment...

12-4-20.Executive-on-#6.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Gillette Executive
Adjustment: #6

Wizamet SI
Flipped Again

Semogue SOC Mistura
Vitos Red​
Post Shave I Used Only This ➡

Only Because I Forgot Other Stuff
Maybe I'll Apply Cremo Later
A Splash Too​

HyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

My impressions from yesterday's shave with the razor adjusted to #4, and today's shave with the razor adjusted to #6, and a bunch of shaves with the razor adjusted to #5 are these:
  • #5 is fine, as in quite good indeed, amazingly so!
  • #4 is okay
  • #6 is likely better than #4
  • Is #6 better than #5?
  • Will I end up on #6 or #5? Good question...
  • Figuring out whether to go with #6 or #5 as a daily driver setting is going to be fun
Just for the record, the razor gives me a darn decent shave on adjustment #1, but #5 is significantly better for my combination of skin, whiskers, technique, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I didn't hate all the DE blades prior to Polsilver, but Polsilver SI blades were an instant hit and supplanted all others immediately.

Sounds like you and I won't get kicked out of the fan club.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Maybe hate is too strong.

I started with a Merkur Futur and 100 Astra blades, terrible shaves for a couple of weeks. Talked to the owner of Executive Shaving, here in Scotland, and he recommended Personna Reds. Bought 100 and got equally poor shaves.
Three months later went back to Executive Shaving and bought a Feather AS-D2 and 100 Feather Blades. Still with bad results.

It occured to me then that wet shaving was probably not for me

I did two things, bought a sample pack of 100 different blades and an EverReady 1912 SE with 50 Gem blades.

EverReady was amazing! proved to me that wet shaving was worth persisting with.
Tried a few sample blades in the AS-D2 and never got very far. Bought a couple of other DE razors, Gillette Rocket and a Timeless Bronze.
EverReady was beating them all hands down, all the time.

One day I tried a Polsilver in the AS-D2 and WoW! Smoothest DE shave I've ever had, by a big margin.
By this time though, I was loosing interest in DE shaving and eying up my first Schick Injector.

Fast forward a few years.

Couple of weeks ago put a polsilver into my Gillette Rocket - WoW! - first time I've ever had a decent shave from that razor. And that's started up my interest in DE razors again.

Removed all the Feathers, Personna's and Astra blades from my stash. Still have quite a few others from the original sample pack that I have yet to try, or can't remember trying.
Now that I've got a baseline to compare with, maybe it's time to start experimenting with some of the other blades again.

Shame I sold the Timeless Bronze. I'll never know if it would have worked out had I gotten around to trying it with a Polsilver SI.

Very cool story, Doug.

An adventure and a mystery.
Thanks Jim.

A long winded way of saying I have unfinished business with DE's.

Mind you, we have some serious Enablers in our midst.
Almost pulled the trigger on THIS last night. You know who you are :biggrin:

On a happy note my Ikon X3 Head turned up this morning. Appears to be a perfect match for my AS-D2 handle.
I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Need to find my lightbox so I can take piccies.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks Jim.

A long winded way of saying I have unfinished business with DE's.

Mind you, we have some serious Enablers in our midst.
Almost pulled the trigger on THIS last night. You know who you are :biggrin:

On a happy note my Ikon X3 Head turned up this morning. Appears to be a perfect match for my AS-D2 handle.
I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Need to find my lightbox so I can take piccies.

1607186618498.png

I don't know anyone who doesn't hang around here who even knows exactly what a lightbox is. When I first joined and found out how important photographs were to this community and to me I realized my photos were relatively terrible. Embarrassingly bad they were. It didn't take long thanks to Mr. Google to discover the magic and potential of a lightbox. Fortunately, they are cheap, and, boy, do they make a huge difference or what?

11-10-20.X3.CH2Best.VitosRed.640.JPG

I've tried the X3 on several handles. For me, the best so far in the R41 handle.

People say the R41 handle is insufficiently grippy, maybe slippery. I get what they're saying. The knurling is cosmetic more than deep for sure. However, it is a great handle in my view of it once one learns to use it properly. It is for me the perfect match with the X3. Only after I paired the two did I make much progress in understanding how to use the X3.

Some people say the iKon X3 is mild. I have no idea what they mean. The thing will bite if you're not careful with it, but it's a damn good slant once the right handle is installed and the learning curve is climbed.

Not saying your handle should be what I use. Also not saying you will find it at all difficult to master. Just reporting my perhaps unique experiences and conclusions.

1607187311929.png

But, there's a downside...

R41.2.Chrome.RoseGold.640.7-18.JPG

There are two handles; I like both, but the rose gold is prettier (and harder to find).

Maybe we should have ordered the Fine Slant at Black Friday prices. Someone reported getting 30% off. I've been tempted, too, by that particularly masterful enabler.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't know anyone who doesn't hang around here who even knows exactly what a lightbox is. When I first joined and found out how important photographs were to this community and to me I realized my photos were relatively terrible. Embarrassingly bad they were. It didn't take long thanks to Mr. Google to discover the magic and potential of a lightbox. Fortunately, they are cheap, and, boy, do they make a huge difference or what?

Wow. This is all new to me. In 5 seconds (Google again) I've found out not only what a lightbox is but how to make your own and how to use it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Continuing the experiment on Saturday.

12-5-20.Executive.Wizamet.70:30.Vitos.640.JPG

Gillette Executive
Adjustment #6

New Wizamet SI Blade

70/30
Vitos Red​

Aggressive shave. S-N. N-S. Both lathered. Etc. Perhaps a tad too aggressive (a few tiny, nothing spots of blood; all gone by rinsing without help from styptic pencil). Still, a good shave.

Clasico Bay Rum

Cremo Face Moisturizer
Hyaluronic Acid​
Clasico Bay Rum.640.12-5-20.New.JPG

No idea why I bought this bay rum. It's plenty good though.

12-5-20.70:30.Damp.InStand.Bristle.640.JPG

70:30.Tips.CloseUp.12-5-20.Good. 640..JPG

70:30.Knot.640.HandleEdge.12-5-20.JPG

My Maggard 70/30 knot continue to be a Problem Child. Loose bristles: Probably lost at least 5 or 6 today; one can see another in the post shave damp photos above. There are precious few split ends for a brush that's been "used" maybe 75 times. Bad scritch remains. Still, its delicious scrub & its "potential" keep me using it albeit not as frequently as I would if the thing would break in.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow. This is all new to me. In 5 seconds (Google again) I've found out not only what a lightbox is but how to make your own and how to use it.

Elsewhere on this thread are my comments about why I bought and am glad I bought the lightbox I have. One issue is the lack of a Y connector some have in their USB set up.

My lightbox is "permanently" set up on top of the chest of drawers which also hosts my television. I use the lightbox literally every day at least once. Very handy.

Yes, they can be homemade, but the flimsy plastic ones are so cheap why bother. Speaking of flimsy, the issue with them is the sides tending to be concave towards the interior thus reducing the space inside. However, once they're (mine) set up and left alone and all set up rather than set up and taken down daily (which I tried) the concave issue goes away.

Three Bears.png

Some are way too small. Some are (to my way of thinking) too large for my purposes (razor and SOTD photos, etc).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom