What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
I came across a thread where someone said that there is not a significant change with respect to aggressiveness from A's to D, and it is plate F that feels noticeably more aggressive than those.
I would disagree with that. From A to D (I have them all), there is no difference in the smoothness of the shave. But, the shaves are definitely more efficient up the scale, and the blade feel (and exposure) gets more pronounced too. I tend to think of aggressiveness as a combination of blade feel/exposure (but the term also may be used sometimes as a correlation/synonym for efficiency), but I might be wrong since I'm admittedly biased against 'aggressiveness' (says someone considering exploring straight shaving).

I own a ss karve plates, b,c, and d
C and d are awesome plates, but can be blade dependent , the right blade and soap matter

I use Wizamet/ polsiver which makes all plates stand out,, smooth and sharp

I also proud owner of polished ss karve 3 inch with c plate

I cannot explain but my polished c plate shaves more efficient than the standard ss c plate

The 3 inch handle is amazing as it allows better shave problems areas

Also the way the polished feels , cold sterile, as it glide razor sharp

I am glad Chris Karve is doing better getting his products out and listening to his customers

proxy.php

proxy.php

The only problem was trying not to use it as she is just too beautiful
Amazing tools
Cheers

But, the shaves are definitely more efficient up the scale, and the blade feel (and exposure) gets more pronounced too.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, that is tremendous help to me as I am struggling to pick the right sets of plates. The plates are not cheap so some due diligence is needed before making a hefty investment in these instruments.

What I am expecting from my ideal Karve plate is this in a nutshell: one that would help remove as much facial hair as possible with one stroke of the razor. I guess people refer to this concept as one of efficiency. You would get the same degree of closeness with fewer number of strokes. I achieved this when in earlier days I upgraded my Merkur C34 to the slant 37. Rarely did I ever go back to the C34 again. I thought of grabbing a Muhle R41 for a very reasonable price but was concerned that the added efficiency may come with less comfort and more irritation. That is why I started to look into Karve given its reputation for giving smooth and comfortable shaves.

Now if the smoothness remains relatively the same across A to D plates that would be something huge to celebrate for me. I fear that the more aggressive plates (D and above), while more efficient, could cause weepers and irritation. Mind you that I've developed good skills to maneuver a razors across my face.

I'll continue to navigate comments and reviews and hopefully the decision will be an informed one!

@JackJ I have the 3.25" handle and love it. My brother loves the long handles, maybe later I'll try one but this combo of the 3 1/4" and B plate in wide body is the perfect weight for me.

I recently tried other blades - Polsilver, Feather, Voskhod, Bolzano Superinox, and Astra Platinum and keep going back to my trustworthy Gillette Silver Blues.

Thanks for all the comments, and keep on keeping on...

I also chose the 3.25”. If I somehow justify getting a ss Karve to go with my brass, I might choose 3” just to mix things up a bit. But that range is right for me.

Karve lover here,, I own ss 3,5 handle, plates b, c, and d,,,plates

I also own polished ss, 3 inch, c plate

On ss non polished d plate works best

My polished ss c plate shaves sharper than non polished ss plate
( I need to email Chris about this)

I loved my 3.5 handle and did not think 3 inch would work for me but after shaving with 3 inch I entered grail razor status shaves
proxy.php

I’m guessing shiny smooth colder polished c plate, along with 3 inch handle, ( extremely easy to menuverr, unless Chris added little more sharper
But my polished c plate is sharper, smoother than ss c plate

Not complaining but wow what amazing shaves
Blades used thus far polsiver/ wizamet, 6-7 shaves

Love my karves

I bought the brass “Daily Shaver” version of Karve which has the B,C and D plates and the 3.5” handle. Love it so far with the 3 shaves with it using a Lab Blues blade. Tried it today with the c plate with a new shark ss blade and not that impressed with that blade compared to the Lab Blues.

I’d like to try out some other plates, but anyone know if Chris will allow the customer to pick the plates with the Daily Shaver set? I think it’s cheaper going that route that buying just the razor with a choice of handle size and plate, and buy extra plates. I’d like the 3” handle and I’d like the OC D plate, and the SB E and G plates.

I bought the brass “Daily Shaver” version of Karve which has the B,C and D plates and the 3.5” handle. Love it so far with the 3 shaves with it using a Lab Blues blade. Tried it today with the c plate with a new shark ss blade and not that impressed with that blade compared to the Lab Blues.

I’d like to try out some other plates, but anyone know if Chris will allow the customer to pick the plates with the Daily Shaver set? I think it’s cheaper going that route that buying just the razor with a choice of handle size and plate, and buy extra plates. I’d like the 3” handle and I’d like the OC D plate, and the SB E and G plates.
Post in the BST that you WTB the 3" handle and OC D plate and SB E&G plates. Doesn't hurt to try. I was lucky to pick up two plates that way that I wanted for the Brass Karve.

I could go that route, but I was actually hoping to find out if Chris would offer this as I am willing to buy a second Karve razor to send some business his way.

I could go that route, but I was actually hoping to find out if Chris would offer this as I am willing to buy a second Karve razor to send some business his way.
I think he has done that before if I remember reading that in the Dead Sea Scrolls of the Karve Diem thread.

I just did the math and the price is the same whether buying the Daily Shavers Kit or the CB razor and the extra plates. I assumed the Kit was a lower price since it was bundled with 2 extra plates.

One other thing I was wondering if anyone tried the Karve and mixed say the brass handle and top plate with a SS plate, or the SS model with an aluminum bottom plate?

Top Bottom