What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech TTO
Blade: Astra SP (stretched to 7 and out)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 9.5

11/21/20 - Morning shave on 2 days of growth. Near BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; minimal irritation, and no nicks today. Laziness and rushing prevented me from replacing the blade. Shave was OK, but blade was scraping, not cutting.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Prep: hot towel, Noxema facial cleanser (left it on for about 2 mins while I made lather)
Blade: Perma Sharp Super #3
Razor: Ikon Tek
Brush: Muhle Vivo black fiber v2
Soap: SJoL black pepper & lime
Aftershave: Omega alum stick, shower, Thayers rose witch hazel, SJoL black pepper & lime

The software I used today was chosen randomly in the shave roulette game:

3 pass: hot ATG, XTG, WTG. Mustache AGT. And ATG cleanup pass along the jawline.

The SJoL has a nice scent, and the excellent slickness and cushion.

The Perma Sharp Super blade didn't seem to have any trouble, I achieved a very close shave with zero tugginess, and didn't seem to have any problems except some weepers, but alum said otherwise.

Very strong alum burn, so I'm going with yes there was a lot of irritation, even though it wasn't visible.

👎

Razor: 1958 D2 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: US Personna "lab blue" in the blue wrapper, from 2014, I think (shaves 1 through 6)
Brush: Omega Sintex synthetic
Soap: Arko stick
Rating: so-so, from 8.0 to 8.5

11/22/20 - 11/29/20 morning shaves while on the road. Shaves were generally unpleasant and ranged from DFS to BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. Every shave produced a number of bloody cuts, and the shaves' closeness generally didn't live up to my expectations, based on previous experience with this razor. On the plus side, no post-shave irritation experienced.

Although this new (only used a few days in August) Arko stick lathered easily, it lacked most of the slickness felt from my last Arko stick that was purchased at the same time (which lasted 5 years or so, since I only used it while traveling). To confirm that the problem was the Arko and not something else, I used the same razor and blade setup this morning - see my next post. Note that I have used the Omega Sintex brush for years with a variety of soaps without any complaints, so I ruled this out as the cause.

Rating 9/10

Merkur 34C
Blade: Lord Super (It's a nice blade, but I don't think I will buy more once my pack is empty)
Cream: Nivea Men.
Alum Block
Thayers
Aqua Velva

IMG_0122.jpg

Razor: 1958 D2 Gillette TV Special (Super Speed)
Blade: US Personna "lab blue" in the blue wrapper, from 2014, I think (7)
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Soap: Stirling Coniferous
Rating: 9.8

This morning's excellent shave on two days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes; no cuts or nicks, but very slight burning during the shave - so I am deducting 0.2 from the score.

After using this razor and blade combination while on the road for the last week, I believe that my poor results for those shaves were due to the new Arko stick, which didn't have the slickness of my previous Arko stick. (The Omega Sintex brush that I used while traveling has worked well for me for many years, so I ruled that out as the cause.) Today's shave with the same razor and blade, but paired with the Coniferous soap, produced an outstanding result. If any of you have ideas about why a new Arko stick lacks slickness, please let me know because Arko has been my go-to travel shave soap for 5+ years! Thanks in advance.

Gillette Tech pre-war + Super Knurl handle
Bolzano Inox (3)
RR Bruce synth brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Omega Eucalyptus soap (black tub, old version)
Dickinson's witch hazel
RR Santa Maria del Fiore

Clean, close shave; BBS

Notes:
  • Today's equipment selected at random
  • Fun shave with a combo I've not tried before
  • Shave Roulette -- do you want to play a game?
https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...-b-b-game-shave-roulette.596462/post-10954692

tech-shave-2.png

Decemboar shave 1
Attempt to 3017 a small sample of MDC agrumes shave 15th

Razor : FOCS ( could rename it auto-pilot)
Blade : Viking (3)
Brush : Omega 10083 Boar
Soap : MDC Agrumes
Cold rinse and Thayers witch Hazel
AS : RR Evil Eye Lime AS tonic

Im wondering why I'm waiting for 5 new brushes in the mail because I already enjoy each brush I have......enablers.

10/10
IMG_20201201_104912.jpg

Razor: Blackbird sb
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: None
Soap: Cremo
Rating: 8.75

I had to have a very quick shave today, no time to build a lather hence the use of the Cremo. It isn't as enjoyable as using a good soap but it was still a dfs/ bbs result. Whilst extremely efficient the Blackbird is nimble enough to whip around the face for a quick shave without any damage. I should have time tomorrow for a more relaxed pace with a brush and soap.

My Tuesday Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
2-1/2 pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Karve Brass 3-1/2" OC Plate B (First time using the OC plate)​
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Elite Razor Spalted (‘rotten wood‘) Maple - Full Moon Synthetic 26mm​
Soap: Colonel Conk Natural Shave Cream Rio Grande Lavender​
Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel - Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.4/10 DFS!
  • One minor nick
  • A hint of irritation. That was my fault as I pushed this combo a little too hard
  • First time using the Karve OC plate. I will have to try it a little more

Prep: Hot shower and face wash with Pear’s soap
Pre: N/A
Brush: Muhle Extra Large Silvertip synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (First Use)
A/S: Tabac Splash

PXL_20201201_190851694.jpg

I hope you’ll share in my joy at having achieved my first BBS!!! I have welcomed two new additions to my den in the form of the extra large Muhle silvertip fibre synthetic brush and the notorious R41. The brush was just what I hoped it would be: a blown up version of the little medium size Muhle synth that was up until now my favourite brush in the den, Not too soft, just a hint of scrub, easy splay , attractive yet modest stylings, the Muhle synthetics are outstanding in my opinion, even if you do pay a premium over the competition. Something to note if you’re unfamiliar, they generally run a size lower than you might expect, i.e. a medium brush is probably most people’s idea of a small and so on. This extra large is larger, with more loft than my Razorock Bruce (another favourite!) yet a bit smaller than many of the 26mm synths which seem popular these days from Yaqi etc.

Tabac did what Tabac does and obligingly whipped itself into a curious smelling yet stellar lather - ’Nuff said.

After having shaved for only 12 months with a DE, almost exclusively with the Rockwell 6S, I was more than a little nervous of the razor for reasons that hardly need mentioning. I could certainly tell that I hadn’t forgot to put the blade in*! I treaded carefully, though not timidly, occasionally getting a touch of roughness where I hadn't quite got the angle right. I did the usual three passes with light touch ups and all I can say is WOW! Okay it’s only my first shave with a new razor, but I had a blinder! BBS with no nicks, cuts or irritation to speak of and only a mild, bracing burn from the charmingly obnoxious Tabac splash to hint of the closeness I had managed.

My best shave yet….maybe I’m worth it, maybe I’m a Muhle man???

10/10

*I bought my dad a Muhle R89 for his birthday and he told me that he had had the most unbelievably smooth shave of his life, only to look in the mirror and realise he still had a beard - he had forgotten to put a blade in!!!

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
If any of you have ideas about why a new Arko stick lacks slickness, please let me know because Arko has been my go-to travel shave soap for 5+ years!

Did you use the same Arco stick while you traveled and nothing else? Is it possible the water was extremely hard where you traveled? Test the Arco stick with some distilled water for process of elimination.

Last edited:
- Prep: Shower and Proraso White Preshave cream
- Brush: Omega 49 Boar
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
- Blade: Shaverboy (2)
- Soap: B&M Hallows
- Aftershave: B&M Hallows Balm
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose Tonic and Hyaluronic Acid

Surprisingly good shave. I used the Shaverboy blade in my Merkur Progress and it sucked big time. Super rough. In the Rockwell it was excellent. Night and day. Same blade as well.

I am doing boar brushes for all of December and the big 49 is a lather monster. Great inexpensive brush.

9.5/10

Did you use the same Arco stick while you traveled and nothing else? Is it possible the water was extremely hard where you traveled? Test the Arco stick with some distilled water for process of elimination.
Thanks - I will try distilled water and report back with my results. Yes, I had only used the Arko stick during my trip. Because the Arko lathered very easily, I had assumed that it was not a hard water problem, but I did notice more rust than usual on the stainless blade when I binned it today, so you might be on to something.

Huh??? :yikes:

Don't you think *any* rust on the blade is an indication there might be a serious problem?
Well, more like a slight tea stain where the blade was clamped - not near the blade edge. This happens from time to time after 7 shaves or so on a blade (some brands more than others). I didn't mean to exaggerate.

Top Bottom