What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" November 30th - December 6th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD - Looking forward to this shave this morning - hope everyone is doing well!
SOTD_VarletGL_Ti2.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tue, Dec 1st, 2020

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84- Mfg 2018> great mid range combined with a Kai seems to work well in this razor.
Blade: Kai SS (6) sharp & smooth, good longevity, wider than a standard blade, good way to increase blade feel or exposure.
Soap: test sample of TOBS Jermyn, real mild scent but great creamy lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Lucky dice 26mm Tuxedo knot, excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips and with some back bone for a scrub.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanse + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Nivea refreshing AS + witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + minor irritation + 2 small weepers=:thumbup: great shave with my RR GC .84 with a Kai blade.
DE SOTD. DEC 1st, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

22501B02-807F-40CF-A10C-6E6779785164.jpeg

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 1, 2020

Fabulous shave to kick off DX/Decision December. I have accumulated way too many safety razors, many of which I no longer use. My mug shaves for at least half this month will focus on my wood handled Feather DX and Kai Captain Kamisori Clone. I’ve really enjoyed shaving with both, but of all my open edge mug shaves, these are the two I’ve shaved with least. I admit I’ve had a problem focusing on just one shaving tool, but I think I’ll be able to carry it off. The shave variety I enjoy will be noggin-focused and will include a review of my safety razors with a particular focus on modern artisan offerings.

For my kickoff shave I selected my Feather DX barber’s razor for my mug and the Christopher Bradley safety razor from Karve Shaving for the dome featuring a D-OC plate. I own several plates for this safety razor and will shave with all of them over the course of the month, but not necessarily sequentially. My JR Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378 generated the two lathers I like for my shaves. Both noggin and mug shaves were excellent. The DX loaded with a Feather Super cleaned away the mug stubble in three enjoyable passes (WTG, ATG, XTG), despite an initial very slight set down nick. Feather Supers are very sharp blades, and I need to be more mindful of this fact as I continue this focus.

The mug shave was just perfect! The Karve was the first modern artisan safety razor I purchased after an initial flurry of vintage acquisitions after 50 years with my Schick Krona DE. I remember my oldest son referring to my Krona as a vintage safety razor. In fact when I purchased it in 1969 it was a then contemporary safety razor. My initial amazement at the quality of shave the Karve delivered was repeated this morning. My only gripe after the initial purchase was the traditional top cap design which exposed the blade tabs and led to some ear nicks early on. That’s all gone away with my purchase of Karve’s ‘wide body’ cap. My two pass (ATG, ATG) dome shave was brilliantly close. What a terrific safety razor! This is a keeper. I’ll decide which other plates I’ll keep as my Karve shaves continue over the course of the month. I feel clean, velveteen and refreshed!

RAZOR: Feather Wood Handled DX (Mug), Karve Safety Razor D-OC Plate
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug), Feather DE (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: JR Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash and Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Balm.

20201130_082713.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (German)
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Tuesday, 12/1

20201201_120809.jpg

Razor - Edwin Jagger 3one6
Blade - Gillette Nacet
Brush - Some Making Required 26mm Gelousy 2-band
Soap - PAA Space Nog
A/S - Brickell unscented

Excellent job by the razor today. It's still "scrapier" than most of my other razors, but surprisingly, the shaves have not left me with any irritation afterward. Today's shave was noticeably closer than yesterday's too; feels silky smooth like butter. The post shave products were the same, so either my technique with the razor was better today or it's the post shave feel from the soap. Speaking of which, this scent is great. Rich, eggy, and somewhat sweet, but not overly so. I'm gonna enjoy having this in the regular rotation for the holidays this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom