What's new

All by itself.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I can do it, you can too. It is not rocket science, my friend. You might like it. You can start off by roasting in a cast iron skillet. You can't roast a lot at a time, but it will let you see if you like it. Put a single layer of beans in a cast iron skillet and put it on the grill (it will create smoke, so it is not ideal to do indoors). Stir the beans every 20 seconds or so. They will eventually hit first crack, which is when it sounds a lot like popcorn popping. Once it stops, you can take it off the grill or roast it a bit longer for a darker flavor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well my Brother, since you took the bait, I have a question:

Have you ever used a "Whirly Pop" popcorn popper to roast coffee? And how bad is the smell? My wife doesn't like or drink coffee but loves the smell.

Well my Brother, since you took the bait, I have a question:

Have you ever used a "Whirly Pop" popcorn popper to roast coffee? And how bad is the smell? My wife doesn't like or drink coffee but loves the smell.
Personally, I don't think it smells bad at all. Starting with a cast iron, if you have one, is the cheapest way to start. I haven't tried the popper, but I follow some forums where people have been very successful with them. Sweet Maria's has information about them on their website. There are also a few threads on B&B about roasting, as I am not the only one. If you are interested in trying some roasting, PM me and we can talk more about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Now he's just braggin' folks! He knows I'm too ADHD to roast coffee! I'd burn my house down!

Have you read this thread?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have you read this thread?

Ha! Thanks for fixing that! I have read it. It ALMOST sucked me into ANOTHER rabbit hole. The War Department is NOT a coffee drinker. No further peace talks at this time.

I take my coffee black, but lately I've been having an afternoon cup of cafe au lait, using Cafe du Monde chicory coffee. The secret is to heat the milk before adding it to the coffee. Fifty years ago at Cafe du Monde, a somber waiter in a black suit used to come to your table with two large silver pitchers, one with coffee, the other with scalding hot milk. Holding one in each hand he poured a stream from each into your cup, from a height of about three feet. Never missed a cup, never spilled a drop.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a different league, but we splurged on a bag of Bustelo Supremo espresso. It cost 2x the regular.

Wife and brewed our daily cup.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

(pour. pour.)

(exchange glances)

"Maybe we can get this cheaper online," she said.

"I will look," I said, and did.

So much "espumita," I didn't even pollute it with sweetened condensed milk (Cafe Bonbon.)

Worth it.

AA

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I prefer to roast my own, have for years. I use hot air poppers as fluidized-bed roasters. I picked that up from the late great Mike Sivetz, a chemical engineer who spent his career(s) first building industrial coffee processing plants, then building industrial instant coffee plants, then building industrial fluidized-bed, low temperature roasters. He quite literally wrote the book on coffee.

I'll save all the technical bushwa about roasting and just say how I brew:

I also learned "steep-and-strain" from Mike. He used to laugh at me because I would honestly walk five miles each way to buy coffee from him and ask questions. "Oh, here's my best customer," he'd say when I showed up. With anybody else he was as talkative as the Sphinx, but we used to chat for an hour or so. Anyway, steep and strain:

I typically use a 500ml Pyrex measuring cup. For a 500ml mug of coffee, I measure in four tablespoons of fine grind.

Water should be "just under the boil." Boiling water makes harsh coffee. I have a Bunn hot water tank. Pour the water into the measuring cup, then gently stir the mixture. Let it sit 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Even after a convincing lecture from Mike about the virtue of using a French Press to strain the coffee, I still prefer to use an unbleached filter in a small strainer. I strain right into the cup. EZ. PZ.

O.H.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur and I'll drink most anything (my daily coffee is Folgers from a Mr. Coffee), but I don't put anything in it (never have). When we have guest and they ask for coffee, I inform them that I don't keep anything to put in it.

If my guests ask for cream I'll tell them that if they don't like the taste of coffee then perhaps they would like a cup of tea instead.

Even after a convincing lecture from Mike about the virtue of using a French Press to strain the coffee, I still prefer to use an unbleached filter in a small strainer. I strain right into the cup. EZ. PZ.

O.H.

I worry the filter will catch all the oils. Otherwise it sounds like a good system

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I worry the filter will catch all the oils. Otherwise it sounds like a good system

That's precisely what Mike said.

I've also had the chance to learn a little about one of those little-known corners of the coffee universe. The Coleman Electro-Brew and Thermo-Drip coffee makers were designed by William Coffin Coleman, perhaps better known as the guy who started the Coleman company that makes lanterns, camp stoves and other things.

Ninety years ago he designed his coffee makers to meet some pretty stringent criteria.

"His studies convinced him that to brew good coffee it was necessary to extract the desirable oils from the bean leaving the fats which contained the bitter alkalines and metallic tasting acids. To do this required using water at just the right temperature and regulating the time the hot water spent in the coffee grounds. Coleman and his engineers set about developing a machine that would insure entering temperature of the water would range between 195 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The time the hot water remained in the grounds would range 5 to 9 minutes depending on the fineness of the ground coffee. The gentle filtration of hot but not boiling water extracted the good oils while leaving the melted fats in the grounds." (Tucker, C.R., Ebendorf, H. (1996) Coleman Collector's Guide)

I've seen one, but not in operation. Reportedly they made particularly excellent coffee and were used by a number of the best restaurants and hotels of the day.

With respect to filters: yes. They do capture at least some, perhaps even a significant portion of the flavour oils. No argument there.

O.H.

Top Bottom