What's new

Art of shaving your thoughts ?

Hi everyone,

I could get a nice deal on the art of shaving cream and aftershave however it would be a blind deal since I never tried it, so to all art of shaving users what's your thoughts on this cream and aftershave... positives and negatives
Thx ✌

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I liked their cream. The scent of their sandalwood seemed stronger than TOBS. Their pricing seemed very high as the performance was good but no better than TOBS.

Hi everyone,

I could get a nice deal on the art of shaving cream and aftershave however it would be a blind deal since I never tried it, so to all art of shaving users what's your thoughts on this cream and aftershave... positives and negatives
Thx ✌

aos creams are outstanding. the balms are ok. the scents are excellent.
all imho.
aos was a single shop in nyc that spread out and ultimately was bought by p&g.
they get bashed a lot, but what other b&m shave shop widely exists in the us?? none!
if you have a shop near you, they might give you a sample.
or, pm me, and i'd be happy to put something in the mail to you with my compliments.
cheers.
footnote...their days may be numbered; they were rumored to be on p&g's chopping block due to profit issues!

art of shaving ocean kelp merkur october 15 2020.jpg

aos creams are outstanding. the balms are ok. the scents are excellent.
all imho.
aos was a single shop in nyc that spread out and ultimately was bought by p&g.
they get bashed a lot, but what other b&m shave shop widely exists in the us?? none!
if you have a shop near you, they might give you a sample.
or, pm me, and i'd be happy to put something in the mail to you with my compliments.
cheers.
footnote...their days may be numbered; they were rumored to be on p&g's chopping block due to profit issues!

View attachment 1178491
Thanks for the generous offer, but I'm in Europe (Belgium) so shipping might not be very convenient especially now with the pandemic going on, got a 30% off voucher from gifts & care spain so I can only order online

Before you use the coupon check to see if the product you are looking for is listed on ebay. You'll have to see about shipping if you go this route. Usually a lot cheaper than 30 percent off this way. You can sometimes find some older AOS items at TJ Max or Marshall's as well for dirt cheap. Their aftershave balms are quite nice. Probably the only AOS product I'd buy personally. Shaving creams are also fairly well thought of, but I prefer soaps over creams.

Before you use the coupon check to see if the product you are looking for is listed on ebay. You'll have to see about shipping if you go this route. Usually a lot cheaper than 30 percent off this way. You can sometimes find some older AOS items at TJ Max or Marshall's as well for dirt cheap. Their aftershave balms are quite nice. Probably the only AOS product I'd buy personally. Shaving creams are also fairly well thought of, but I prefer soaps over creams.
Thanks for the heads up, the total price for any the AOS creams is 20 Euro (23 usd) shipping included and its valuable until the end of this month but since I never tried it I'm curious about the performance and scents

I love the AOS product line, I do not love the price. I buy when it's on sale. Their lemon cream is wonderful, as is their Ocean Kelp, but I don't think that one is made anymore. I still have a puck of the old tallow formula sandalwood soap and that's very good too.

Aside from brushes, the only thing wrong with AoS is their prices. IMO, their shave cream and PSB are bothe excellent performers (scents are totally subjective, so I won't opine there).

Recently (yesterday) arrived a package containing a gift set I bought from a reseller on eBay (3.3 oz Oud Suede cologne + Oud Shave Cream). Purchased directly from AOS? You’re talking $150 at least. I paid $50. Deal of the year. I’m a huge fan of AOS shaving cream.. just be patient. Deals are out there. Just make sure it’s a reputable seller with good ratings.

An AoS store was responsible for me getting into shaving the right way. I started with the creams lathering brushless, then found B&B, bought a vulfix brush, and eventually an EJ DE89. For the longest time I used their sandalwood cream. Then they got acquired by P&G and changed the formula introducing parabens. I stopped using their cream and switched to The Gentlemen's Refinery (and then on to Muhle Organic and now MdC).

They have since stopped using parabens, but I never went back to them for shaving product. I used to get my hair cut at the local store since around August 2018, but then COVID hit and the store closed in March 2020 and is now permanently closed.

I got a sample of the cream recently and thought it was pretty bad--didn't even bother to finish the sample packet.

I think they were a great company but P&G destroyed it. There is big difference in the way a company is run between a founder that is passionate about the company vs corporate management that treats that is completely clueless about the product and treats the brand as a cash cow.

Bottomline, I'm no longer a fan of their products.

Last edited:
AOS is the cream that I keep going back to, especially their unscented. I use it with a blade, but what I like about it more is that when I use it with a shaver like the Norelco 9000, it doesn't break down, it just keeps lathering up even if you rinse the shavehead.

I've been going into the Lord & Taylor stores around me and cleaning out their stock before the doors lock for good.

Top Bottom