What's new

Time to move up in the soap world and need some recommendations.

Yep, it can. I'm in Ontario but there are some good options...

Maggard has a low cost international shipping option. Of all my orders in the last 3+ years, one has had a shipping cost higher than $5. Maggard has a huge stock of soaps. I'll suggest Southern Witchcrafts. I need to use mine more than the once I have so far to say but even at a single shave I'll put it up there with my top soaps. Wickham 1912, SV and CRS creams. I believe they also right now have 30% off for the low cost international shipping option. I dont have the email anymore and dont remember the end date but it was this month, I think.

The other shop I order from just as often is Connaught Shaving, which also has a low cost international shipping option. They carry Wickham 1912 soaps and CRS creams. Phoenix & Beau is another soap I have from them. Its very nearly Wickham tier for me. A really nice soap for a really great price from Connaught however is Vito's Extra Super Coco. It hits way above its price point.

I was just discussing in another thread how expensive it is for Canadians to buy US Artisan soaps.

For $30 I might have tried it. For $60, no chance.

Yep we get the short end of it that is for sure. And I have to pay 15% tax regardless of the cost of my order 🤮

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maggards has a big selection and unusually low shipping costs to Canada, but it takes 4-5 weeks to arrive and the conversion rate always upsets me when I am buying from the States.

I have used Connaught and again decent shipping rates to Canada but it was a 5-week delivery on my last order and again the low Canadian dollar hurts. Amazon.ca might be your best bet if looking for the absolutely best deal with shipping included (free over $35CAD).

My orders from both shops take 18-20 days to get to me in London Ontario. Because of COVID however, Maggard does state it can take up to 75 days on the invoice. My last order from them was at my door in six days.

And I have to pay 15% tax regardless of the cost of my order

Not when buying from outside of Canada. I've not paid tax on any order I've placed and there have been no customs duties.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’ve been impressed with Fendrihan. A few quality soaps already mentioned should put you in the 50$ range to qualify for free shipping. Fast shipping, great customer service and a variety of products. You could nab a handful of top notch shave sticks for added value and stretch that $50 qualifier.

Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat, La Toja are all on Amazon (and presumably amazon.ca, as well?) and work supremely well.

Good day gents I hope you all shaved well today.

Been making out ok with my Proraso Soap but now that I mastered my technique I would like to move up in the soap world so to speak. I will cut to the chase what soap would you recommend? Before making recommendations I would ask you to read the additional information I have provided below thx

Now for the fun part, I know that there are many great choices to be had. However ordering from the majority of the specialty shave stores (even the cadadian ones) ends up costing me more than the price of the soap in shipping cost.

Also as some of you may know I am cursed with that coarse hair and sensitive / easy to burn skin.
I like any Saponificio veresino soap. Try the Opuntia or the Cubebe

I am in Canada but my location in Canada makes my shipping rates horrendous.

I'm in Canada but my location in Canada makes shipping rates horrendous, thus I mostly buy from Amazon.ca tabac was actually one of the the ones on my short list but I am worried about it causing some kind of rash or "break - out" on my skin.
Check out Top of the Chain www.topofthechain.ca, a Canadian company with reasonable shipping. It's my go-to store.

Been making out ok with my Proraso Soap but now that I mastered my technique I would like to move up in the soap world so to speak. I will cut to the chase what soap would you recommend? Before making recommendations I would ask you to read the additional information I have provided below thx

Now for the fun part, I know that there are many great choices to be had. However ordering from the majority of the specialty shave stores (even the cadadian ones) ends up costing me more than the price of the soap in shipping cost.

Also as some of you may know I am cursed with that coarse hair and sensitive / easy to burn skin.
Seeing how youre in Canada, Id highly recommend Tallow + Steel. They make amazing soaps with equally amazing scents. You should also check out Prohibition Style. They are located in Canada and carry a wide range of soaps.

You don't have to spend a lot to get a good soap. Speick, La Toja, also a relative newcomer, Ach. Brito Mogno. Haslinger is good. Tabac if you like the scent, performance is excellent. Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) can be a bit more work, but nice. Hard soaps last much longer than soft soaps so end up being more economical to use. With hard soaps, you are not paying to ship a lot of water around.

I have a thing for the French shaving soaps, so I always like to mention those, for example, Provence Sante Green Tea, Pre de Provence.
+1 on Pre de Provence. #63 creates lather like packing foam. Likely the most protective shave you will receive.

Since you’re in Canada ,
I strongly suggest that you should try this one :

An italian croap-almost a cream- with amazing lather.
Easy to lather ,with second to none cushion,glide and post shave care.
It’s scent is quite extraordinary
and has also the largest glass jar ever !

Overall quality is top-notch ,very-very close to the quality
of the much pricier and luxurious Saponificio Varesino soaps.
Trust me ...
Get one now ,before it’s price
skyrockets ,
when this soap will be widely known (as happened with SV soaps ) .

Bad thing is ,that after trying /using the OAM soap,almost every other shaving soap will seem “poor” and “lacking” ...
I have to agree with everything stated about this soap. Great price (in Europe), unique scent, unbelievable performance and very wide glass jar.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There are a great many very good soaps. I've tried a great many of them. I'd have saved a whole lot of money had I tried Vitos Red early on.

1-2-21.FOCS.Mistura.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

Vitos Red is also called Vitos Super Coco.

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

If buying the Kg box, look for the sticker saying Cocco on the end of the box.

Connaught also has 100 ml sized containers and one offering without any container.​
VitosRed.Box.Sticker-on-End.Coco.5-1-20.480.JPG

One of the main selling points of many soaps is their scent. Vitos Red has two scents. One is coconut. The other is marzipan. Frankly I don't like the scent of marzipan so I leave a piece of my Vitos Red out in the open air on a shelf or chest of drawers for a week or two or three to get rid of the marzipan scent. What remains is a great soap with a very faint coconut scent. The scent is so light I have to try hard to appreciate it.

Obviously scent doesn't much matter to me in shaving soaps (unless the scent is terrible).

What matters to me is the overall shave as improved by the soap. Vitos Red loads easily. It lathers well. It works fine with not much water, but will handle a lot of additional water if that's what you like (and I do). It's slick. It also has great ghost lather (or residual glide). No other soap gives me a better shave.

Vitos Red rinses easily and doesn't stop up my pipes (as do some artisan soaps).

The downsides to some soaps (other than scent) are lack of post shave comfort and a drying effect on my skin. Vitos Red is not drying at all on my skin. My post shave comfort is good with Vitos Red.

It's also very inexpensive, but that's not why I like it. It's price isn't relevant to me except as a nice bonus.

Nothing wrong with trying a million soaps of course, but this is the soap I've been using almost every day for a pretty long time. When I try one of the others in my stash I'm not impressed.

Please understand that I tend to have dry skin. Some great soaps - MdC comes to mind - don't work very well for me because they're drying. You have to take into account you whiskers and your skin. My skin gets into trouble easily. I also have wiry, tough, old man whiskers.

Free advice: Stick with one soap long enough to really learn it. Jumping around is confusing.

Happy New Year,

Jim

The options are pretty much endless. I would go with some samples. Stirling is always my first stop, but you can get samples from a large number of vendors at Maggard and Groomatorium as well.

Stirling would be my first recommendation, as well. Awesome products at a great price point. With sensitive skin, they'll surely have something suitable for you. Samples are highly recommended first.

Fwiw I'm moving 'up' from Stirling and it's proving a tough nut to crack, considering the price point

if your looking for a soap with good post qualities and good skin food:

Barrister and Mann

or

Wholly Kaw

camo

My favourites are

Tabac
Speick
Nuavia Blu
Saponificio Varesino
Acqua di Parma
Castle Forbes
Mike’s Naturals
Wholly Kaw

Samples are a great way to try things out and see what works for you. Shavedash is a good resource.

I've been truly amazed by Cella. Yes, good,, but good as any much higher priced soaps. Soft enough to mix with left over creams and soaps when performance steps up a gear.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm in the U.S. and I spend a considerable amount of money at Ontario's Italian Barber. I enjoy Italian products, and they seem to have the best selection of Italian items in North America and at reasonable prices to boot. Many of the products sold under their own Razorock label are excellent as well. I've also bought from Fendrihan and from Top of the Chain, but there are an awful lot of products in my shaving press from Razorock/IB.

Top Bottom