What's new

Edwin Jagger or Merkur

If you do not have a DE 89, Muhle or Edwin Jagger, for a price below $30 if you hunt around, you can get a very well crafted mild/medium razor. It is a favorite of mine, but it is Zamak so its usability will probably be measured in multiple years not multiple lifetimes.

Edwin Jagger.

- outstanding service, if you need it, when you need it.
- excellent/flawless chrome plating.
- one can buy the head alone and use a particular (stainless) handle
- not sure if I mentioned before, they have an outstanding customer service

Merkur DE razor is well designed and an excellent shaver. A tad more aggressive than Edwin Jagger, in my opinion.
If you choose 34C model you are stuck with the shorty handle. As far as I know the heads cannot be purchased separately. As far as customer service, or lack of, do a search as this subject is well documented.
Their chrome plated razors have great plating on the surfaces you can see but very thin on the back of the top plate. Their excuse is that it will not impact the quality of shave.

That being said, buy both. Get over with it now and get that free shipping. Life is too short.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
When I was using them, I preferred the 34C. Both are fine razors, but I liked the nimble qualities of the Merkur. It’s what inspired me to seek out some vintage Gillette‘s which became my preference for comfort and closeness. Good luck!

Merkur...may be wrong but I believe EJ razors are just rebranded Muhles. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
But as stated earlier. EJ razors are rather ho-hum

i have 2 winning bids in for 2 different Merkurs on Ebay, from Connaught👍🏼... hope ive not outbid any of our guys😉... a 33c and a 700😊

Either one. I have both. DE89 and 34C HD. They both shave very similarly. The Merkur may be slightly more aggressive. But neither can be described as aggressive. Two very mild shavers. Neither one is part of my regular rotation. I have come to prefer open comb razors. Basically the vintage Gillette New Deluxe, the RazoRock Game Changer 0.84 and the Schone Open Comb. Those are my regular shavers. Don't spend too much time stressing between the EJ or Merkur. Not much difference between them.

I don´t recommend any products from Edwin Jagger. They don´t last long, and the company does not provide you replacement parts. That "half screw" part of the head of the razor (the one that attaches to the handle) snapped out of the blue. Now I have this expensive thing here, useless.

I contacted them 2 times already explaining what happened, it´s been a month and they don´t reply, they just don´t care. Don´t waste your money on this. For the price they charge for it, it should last several years.

I was recommended razors by a manufacturer called Fatip, they are made of brass and those probably will last "forever". Look for brass or stainless steel razors.

This is what gonna happen to those crappy Edwin Jaggers:

de89 snapped.jpg

de89 snapped b.jpg

Both are great I have the EJ DE89 and Merkur 34C HD as for design and finish the EJ is by far the most beautiful crafted razor, as for performance and efficiency the two piece Merkur 34C has the edge for me

If you're comparing their base models, I think the 34C is overall a better shaver and you can buy a Chinese clone of the DE89 for a fraction of the price while the shaves are pretty much the same. Muhle R89 also have the same head design, but their heads also have brass threads, which is probably the main part that breaks over time on 90% of the zamak razor heads. But if you compare their ''premium'' models, the 3ONE6 is probably the winner. Although, the Progress is also a good option. I might be biased, but I really have no love for zamak razors anymore and sold the ones I had.

Not saying that they are bad or anything, but I think there are tons of other inexpensive vintage and modern options for pretty much the same money and I won't have to worry that much that something might happen to the head. Not saying that I wouldn't buy zamak anymore, but that razor must be a great shaver and also very inexpensive, like getting a brand new Merkur Progress for 20$ or something like that.

Top Bottom