What's new

Other than traditional shaving, what other "old school" things do you do?

I have a huge volume of old time radio files and am always looking to add to them.
I mow, plow snow, and maintain my driveway with a 1950 Farmall Cub tractor that I work on myself.
While I have some modern woodworking equipment, I have and use frequently a 1949?? Magna 10ER combination machine, the precursor to the ShopSmith.
I have a digital library of thousands of old comic books and comic strips.
I need to get back into home brewing, kind of lost interest a few years ago but a professional brewmaster just moved in down the road from me and our dogs have become pals. I still have all my equipment and old recipes.
I have some old surplus rifles - an Enfield Mark IV, a Mosin-Nagant, plus an 1898 Nagant revolver and a Makarov P64
My favorite Fedoras are all older than I am, and I'm 62.

Having said all that, I do have a pretty hot internet and wif-fi network setup with a dedicated personal cloud server, a plex server, a Ubooquity server and an Emby server so I can access my OTR, ebook, comics files and digitized service/maintenance manuals from pretty much anywhere that I can get a cell signal or hotspot, so I'm not a total Luddite.

During the main COVID-19 shutdown the stores were closed and no one was dealing with cash. I live in an apt. building with washer and dryers that require loonies (Canadian dollar coins), and no one had any change available. I started washing my clothes by hand in the bathtub.
Coins are readily available to me now, but I got in the habit, so I’m still washing my underwear by hand. I figure I’m having a shower anyway, so I just keep a bar of laundry soap in the shower and take my underwear with me.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
During the main COVID-19 shutdown the stores were closed and no one was dealing with cash. I live in an apt. building with washer and dryers that require loonies (Canadian dollar coins), and no one had any change available. I started washing my clothes by hand in the bathtub.
Coins are readily available to me now, but I got in the habit, so I’m still washing my underwear by hand. I figure I’m having a shower anyway, so I just keep a bar of laundry soap in the shower and take my underwear with me.
This bar soap for washing clothing works great. Wish I had one of those old wash boards my Grandmother had.

20201106_142614_kindlephoto-84972138.jpg

Beside eating at work at the cafeteria, I cook at home (I love to cook).
I never had Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and such. And never will.
My phone is for calling and answering and waking me up when I'm on the day (morning) shift. The phone's LED light is for reading the water meters.
For everything else Internet there's a desktop computer. For checking the time there's an Orient watch on my wrist.
Clothes are washed manually (with modern detergents, though) and hung to dry in the bathroom. Never had a washing machine.
For body, only soap bars (never used liquid soap). For washing socks, only household soap (I still have several blocks from the Communist era).
I used to read tons of books, real paper books, and newspapers and magazines for cars and computers. Sadly, I don't have the time anymore. The printed newspapers simply ceased apparition here (most of them).
I use oil-based pomades (very small scoops is the key to success), too bad I didn't discovered them much earlier. And that's because until one year ago I had long hair. And I mean long hair.
And I listen to 80's rock and heavy-metal. Now that's truly old school.

• Hand sharpen and hone all my knives.
  • Clean, condition and polish leather shoes and boots by hand.
  • Write with a number of different fountain pens.
  • Wear a mechanical watch, or on occasions a mechanical pocket watch.
  • Have mechanical clocks in various locations around the home.
  • Cook all meals from scratch.
  • Maintain a handwritten leatherbound cookbook with original recipes.
  • Order knives from blacksmiths, with my own design and metallurgical specifications.
  • Look strangers in the eye and wish them good morning or good evening.
  • Use Collinite to protect the paintwork on my car.
  • Use a 35yo high end turntable to play my vinyl collection.
  • Listen to albums from start to finish to get the complete experience, rather than cherry-picking tracks.

I enjoy shining my shoes, too. (So few people even bother anymore.)
[/QUOTE]

I also enjoy shining my shoes - and become self-accusing if I put it off. I also take my shoes to the shoemaker/cobbler to have new heels and sometimes soles put on them. My shoes are mostly the medium-priced brands commonly available in Europe, such as Ecco and Clarks, but it still pays to take good care of them.

A year ago, I had my Harris Tweed Jacket relined. It cost 90 Euros, but I can't get a new one for that money.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Did anyone mention loving ‘BIG BAND’ music? That’s Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc. With me ‘ Swing Music’ did not die.

Top Bottom