What's new

shaving disabled

new member sorry about title any how i am a left side affected stroke survivor. my question is since i like using hard soaps to shave with. loading my brush up good becomes an issue with only one good hand(soap spins, moves all over) to work with if i was to hot glue or silicone glue a hard puck into a shaving bowl would it ruin the soap? much less even stick it to the bowl so i can load the brush effectively or would cheese grating the puck be best option? thanks for any replies

Treating the soap puck like a shaving stick is a good idea. You may want to soften it a bit first with some warm water.

If you soak your hard soap for a few minutes in warm water, it should soften enough that it will stick in place if you press it into the bowl. Let it dry like that and the soap should stay put. If you need the bowl to stay in place, you might use poster putty (Blu-tak).

1605032622537.png

My first thought is to use a squared suction cup bowl. Stick it on your counter so it can't move. Square so that the soap you put in it can't rotate around. A quick search hasn't shown exactly what I'm looking for. Lots of round options, but no squared ones yet. If you can find this I think it would be the ideal solution because you can use any soap you'd like.

If that can't be found, I would use something like the Timeless shave bowl. The internal grooves are substantial so that would prevent the soap from rotating. Keeping the bowl itself from moving is another issue, however.

And finally, I think I would personally forgo all the stuff I said and just use Kiss My Face. Pump action for ease of use and truly wonderful performance.

If you have a bowl for the soap, I would say stick this to the bottom of the bowl

and suction it to wherever you are going to be using it. If the soap moves around in the bowl, try shaving it with cheese grater and pack it into the bowl so there's no wiggle room. Admittedly, that's probably easier said than done when you have problems using one of your arms.

My first thought is to use a squared suction cup bowl. Stick it on your counter so it can't move. Square so that the soap you put in it can't rotate around. A quick search hasn't shown exactly what I'm looking for. Lots of round options, but no squared ones yet. If you can find this I think it would be the ideal solution because you can use any soap you'd like.

If that can't be found, I would use something like the Timeless shave bowl. The internal grooves are substantial so that would prevent the soap from rotating. Keeping the bowl itself from moving is another issue, however.

And finally, I think I would personally just use Kiss My Face. Pump action for ease of use and truly wonderful performance.

You beat me to it!

Get a mug or bowl with lines or pins in the bottom so when you place or mash down the soap it'll stop it from spinning. Many soap housings with stabilizing pins can be 3D printed.

Or you can grate it up. Letting a tbsp or two of water bloom on top of the soap may help as well

If the soap moves around in the bowl, try shaving it with cheese grater and pack it into the bowl so there's no wiggle room. Admittedly, that's probably easier said than done when you have problems using one of your arms.
A food processor with a shedding attachment might be a good solution in this situation. It’s fairly stable and should be able to be used one handed. Or use the weight of the bad arm to hold down the plunger

@Atlantic59 suggests what I have done with triple milled soap. Namely let it soak a bit and then press it down into the container. I have a puck of Gold Dachs soap that I did this with in the aluminum screw top container it came in. Pressed the wet puck into the smooth bottom and let it dry. Stuck like glue ever since.

In terms of ensuring the bowl does not move on the counter, your local hardware store has the solution. Just get some kitchen shelf liner. It comes in a roll and is very "tacky". Cut some to fit the bottom and glue it on. That bowl is not going to move, believe me.

I hope that helps.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Would making the shave bowl stationary help? I would use industrial strength velcro. Just be careful if you have tile countertop, if you push/pull to hard on the bowl it might pull the tiles off.

Thats all i use with a hard soap is a plastic bowl with a lid and it works great for the hard pucks a couple uses and it should stick there fairly good...dont mind my unclean lid etc :\..tupper ware good stuff had it many years

Attachments

• F318FF8B-81B5-4C3D-A156-B81754418F72.jpeg
    F318FF8B-81B5-4C3D-A156-B81754418F72.jpeg
    959.4 KB · Views: 10
  • B4B969F3-A7F2-4638-877F-3F3CACFA3AA1.jpeg
    B4B969F3-A7F2-4638-877F-3F3CACFA3AA1.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 10
In addition to the above suggestions by others on how to get your soap to stick to your bowl, one trick many use in the kitchen is to make a circle with a kitchen towel then place the bowl in the center of the circle. That usually helps prevent the bowl from moving around. It could be worth trying with your soap bowl.

First off, welcome. Second, this is a community committed to helping each other enjoy our shaves. I hope some of these suggestions aids in your ability to enjoy your shaves. Please let us know what helps, or doesn't.

Top Bottom