Blackland Brotherhood - B³

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
N.O.vember 2020 #1
Single Edge Sunday
20201101_114540~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (5)
Brush: Frickwerkz handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Noble Otter Barr Barr
Aftershave/Fragrance: @OkieStubble Bootlegger's El Dorado

WTG/ATG/XTG + touch-ups. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Outstanding shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
N.O.vember 2020 #3
20201102_193539~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Blackbird SB
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (2)
Brush: TurnNShave (TNS 25mm Quartermoon Knot)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Canoe EdT

Wonderful shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
N.O.vember 2020 #4
20201104_081349(1)~2.jpg

Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Emerald Green AS3M (Mühle 25mm STF)
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood and Spice
Fragrance: Volatile For Men Eau De Toilette Spray (Belcam Version Of Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb)

Great shave! :)

I’ve read through a few posts on this question here and a few other places and I still cannot decide. I have VERY thick and coarse stubble, so even a daily shave can be tricky. My most frequently used razors at this point are the Timeless.95 OC, PAA DOC, ATT Windsor SSH1, and Carbon ++ (for 1.5-2 day growth). Occasionally I’ll use the R41 Grande and Asylum RX if I go 3 days or more without shaving. I guess ultimately my questions are:
How much efficiency is lost with the SB and how aggressive (comfort/blade feel) is the OC compared to the R41/Timeless OC?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve read through a few posts on this question here and a few other places and I still cannot decide. I have VERY thick and coarse stubble, so even a daily shave can be tricky. My most frequently used razors at this point are the Timeless.95 OC, PAA DOC, ATT Windsor SSH1, and Carbon ++ (for 1.5-2 day growth). Occasionally I’ll use the R41 Grande and Asylum RX if I go 3 days or more without shaving. I guess ultimately my questions are:
How much efficiency is lost with the SB and how aggressive (comfort/blade feel) is the OC compared to the R41/Timeless OC?
The SB Bird is quite efficient, and little efficiency is lost as compared with the OC. The OC Bird is smoother than the R41 but more aggressive in face feel than the Timeless OC.

YMMV, but these seem to be great razors to use when your beard growth is heavy, though in my case I haven't been getting on so hot with the Dart so far sadly, I can't get the hang of escaping some bloodletting when shaving my upper lip area in particular for some reason.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The SB Bird is quite efficient, and little efficiency is lost as compared with the OC. The OC Bird is smoother than the R41 but more aggressive in face feel than the Timeless OC.
My recommendation is to pick the safety bar unless you need to hack through multi-day growth or you just love OC razors. The Blackbird SB is efficient enough for the vast majority of users and it is a bit smoother than the OC.

I agree with @Hannah's Dad and @Blackland Razors - the Blackbird SB is an awesome razor. Efficient, smooth, effective. One of the best razors out there.

My opinion and YMMV. :)

Edit:
I had the GC .84 SB and could not get it to work for me no matter what setup I used.

I find the SB Blackbird to be extremely efficient but not aggressive. I get by far the closest and longest lasting shaves with it than with any of my other razors including the R41 and the Rex Ambassador. I asked Shane before buying and he said the SB would be plenty efficient and he was right, I've got tough grey stubble with a couple of trouble spots that other razors stuggle to shave bbs
but the Blackbird hits it every time. I've never felt like I was missing out by not having the OC version.

Please elaborate on "could not get it to work for me no matter what setup I used".

Thank you. :)
Handful of different blades, different angles, even shimmed a couple. Uncomfortable, lackluster shave every time.
I find the SB Blackbird to be extremely efficient but not aggressive. I get by far the closest and longest lasting shaves with it than with any of my other razors including the R41 and the Rex Ambassador. I asked Shane before buying and he said the SB would be plenty efficient and he was right, I've got tough grey stubble with a couple of trouble spots that other razors stuggle to shave bbs
but the Blackbird hits it every time. I've never felt like I was missing out by not having the OC version.
Thank you! The R41 and RX comparison really helps.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
N.O.vember 2020 #5
20201105_145027~2.jpg

Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (4)
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite 24mm Stygian Synth Hybrid
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Great shave! :)

Top Bottom