What's new

Haunted places!

Ok so the Winchester Mystery House is a local attraction. I’ve been there a bunch back in the day. I even know of a fella who had his friends sprinkle his ashes in the rose garden there when he passed.
if you scroll down to Dotties Pond. That’s in our neighborhood. I remember trying to sneak in as a kid and getting run off by security guards. Now it’s a park and is open for all to visit. There’s an albino catfish living in the pond. That’s the only ghostly thing I’ve seen there.

Anyways, who else has haunted places close to home?

There are allegedly haunted places all over . . . you just need to ask a local for the straight goods. Personally, I think it's all a load of fertilizer.

That being said . . .

When I was a young man in my late teens/early 20's, I was a frequent visitor at an apartment complex (stacked units) that was supposedly haunted, despite the fact it was, at the time, only about 25-30 yrs old. I was leaving a party on the third (top) floor and was heading for the elevator. This building was of circular construction, with windows allowing a view of the inner courtyard and, obviously, the hallway further along the arc. I was able to see a young woman in a dress waiting for the elevator, and thought, "great, no waiting". I noted that she started to enter the elevator and so I called out asking her to hold the door for me. I jogged to the elevator (50-75 feet) and walked in saying "thank you" . . . to no one. "She" was gone. A quick scan of the hall in either direction revealed no one, and the glass meant that, unless she had crawled rapidly away from the elevator, there was no one within view.

Rode the elevator down, and walked home, but that is my one and only ghost story.

I like haunted houses in movies, but don't hold much stock with the real thing. That being said, my wife and daughters love the real thing. We've been to Alton, Illinois, which has several haunted locations, as well as the old Bartonville, IL mental hospital, said to be haunted. While I've never seen anything, the wife and kids did.

When I was a kid, local rumour had it that if you ran 3 times around the village church, anticlockwise, while the clock was striking 12 midnight, you could summon up a demon. We tried it (at 12 noon of course, we were not totally stupid!) and unless you were Usain Bolt on steroids, it was impossible. But always good to tell the younger kids and get them spooked!

I work in a state "institution" where I live. There are many buildings there that are extremely haunted. I personally have seen some things that are scary as hell, including another employee that had been killed there decades before I started work. I literally saw him standing at a door that I controlled. I looked down to "pop" the door and when I looked up he was gone. A few weeks later I saw a picture of the guy and the caption read, in part, murdered-1979. I had no idea who the guy was before this. This happened in 2015. I also later found out he had been killed just outside that door.

There are supposedly at least two in the French Quarter where I grew up. One is at Orleans and Dauphine, the Gardette-LaPretre Mansion or "the Sultan's Palace." "One party ended on an extremely tragic note. Everyone at the party had been murdered, including what master of the property. He was found buried in the backyard. . . . Paranormal activity at the location includes the screams of those that perished at the party as well as the man some call the 'Sultan.' Other people have claimed that the ghosts they have encountered are soldiers from the Civil War."

(Growing up a block away, I walked past that place in daylight and at night thousands of times, and heard and saw nothing. Maybe you have to be inside.)

The other is the infamous LaLaurie Mansion at Royal and Gov. Nicholls, the one where the lady of the house was supposed to keep and torture her slaves (pre-1861, this was) in the attic. Screams have been heard, and ghosts of slaves seen walking about the property. (Probably wondering where the A/C controls are.)

These and some others are here: The Most Haunted Places in New Orleans, LA | Haunted Rooms America - https://www.hauntedrooms.com/louisiana/new-orleans/haunted-places

The Muriel's restaurant, right by Jackson Square, used to house a wholesale food import business. Funny that the legends only sprang up after it became a tourist destination.

Here in Albuquerque Old Town has a restaurant called the High Noon. ALL the employees have enough stories to write a book. One young man said just before closing said the 5 foot, solid wood wagon wheel which leans against the wall stood up on it's own and flopped over. Another female employee was using the lady's room stall and the door literally flew off the frame! These are level-headed young people and not liars.

Another Old Town story. Back in April I picked up some food outside of an upscale steakhouse. Just before leaving I asked the guy if he had ever seen anything unusual. He said about 2 years ago around 945 pm he noticed a man in Western garb. Since this place is very dark and small (12 tables) it easy not to be noticed. He said he went back a few seconds later and the man was gone. No one had seen him come in or waited on him. He told me that was the only unusual occurrence. Old Town ( about 1/4 square mile) goes back to 1706 and most of the buildings are over 150 years old and were at one time residences.

It's been nearly forty years since my oldest brother died. About a week after he passed, I was sitting in my bedroom reading (still living with my parents at the time) and was startled when I heard some very loud banging noises coming from the attic. The bangs began at the south side of the house and continued rapidly till they reached the north end of the structure. I jumped out of my chair and my father ran to my bedroom to tell me to "put those god damned weights in the basement before you put a hole in the floor". I explained that the weights were already in the basement and the noises came from the attic. My father was quite hard of hearing and the fact that he had heard anything was a testament to just how loud the noise was.

At this point I was instructed to pull down the ladder to the attic and investigate. I did go up with a flashlight and looked around for a little while. Saw a few items that had been knocked over, but didn't see anything else out of the ordinary, and no indication of squirrels, owls or racoons.

I've often wondered what caused the noise that I heard all those many years ago. Personally, I think it was probably something quite mundane.... possibly sonic booms from some low flying jets. Yeah, that's what it was.

One more.

Last year on Halloween night I rented the third floor of the Lizzie Borden house in Fall River, MA. Four friends accompanied me and we had a real blast. Around one in the morning I told one of my friends that I needed to go downstairs to get some ice for my whiskey. Near the kitchen on the first floor is a hallway, and on the wall of that hallway are some very old garments that the servants who worked there would have worn. I put one on and buttoned it up to my neck and then placed one of the large white floppy hats on my head and pulled it down to my eyes. I then proceeded to walk upstairs. When I got to the landing of the second floor, I could see one of my friends standing outside my door. She was looking kind of nervous, so I thought it would be best if I just stayed were I was and waited till she spotted me. I just wanted to give her a little fright.... I didn't want to scare her to death. Well, she did eventually look my way and she gave out a nice scream.

She will forgive me someday, I'm sure of it.

Back in 1979 (?) I was driving my mom from San Diego to Bridgeport CT. It was getting late and we were in NJ so we thought we'd get a room and finish up in the am. We went to a motel and when we walked into the room I got a real eerie feeling I've never had before. She did too. When I rolled down one of the beds there were dried bloodstains on the upper sheets and pillow cases. Lots of blood. My mom's exact words were, "Somebody was murdered in this room." We went back to the front desk and told them we wanted a refund and why. They gave up one no questions asked! Like they knew.

Top Bottom