What's new

How terrible of an idea is a Blacklands Dart for a rookie?

Just an update.

Welp I might have done something stupid. All this talk of blade rigidity and more aggressive razors than my DE89. And possibly going the SE route. I ended up purchasing a Razorock Mamba, the older version. Haven't shaved with it fully yet but did a quick clean up on my chin and it felt more efficient than my DE89. We will see.

I've been using the original Mamba for the last 3 months as my only DE. Great choice. I tried the Dart and sold it. It was overkill. If you're thinking SE, Schick Injectors are mild and efficient.

I've been using the original Mamba for the last 3 months as my only DE. Great choice. I tried the Dart and sold it. It was overkill. If you're thinking SE, Schick Injectors are mild and efficient.

I had my first shave with the Mamba this morning. It's a lot different than my DE89. Smoother and more efficient. But that efficiency is heavily tied in with getting the angle spot on, very spot on. And unlike the DE89, the angle is more riding the cap. It'll take some time to get use to.

I spent a whole week with the Mamba to find it has one of the shallowest angles out there. Another tip I picked up from another forum was to turn off outside noise so you can hear the razor cutting. My bathroom light is wired to the exhaust fan, so I just focus more on listening to my razor and adjust the head a tiny bit.

I just got my Dart in the mail today from Maggard Razors and WOW what a shave! I am one who cannot stand mild razors and the lack of blade feel, so this one seems to fit the bill nicely. Much like my Muhle R41, but the grip on the handle is night and day better and the resulting shave is wonderful. I did get two very minor nicks, but I am sure that I will master this razor with time. Also, the top cap is a low enough of a profile that I can shave below my beak without any trouble. I would not recommend this razor to a newbie though.

I don't know about the Dart, but the Blackbird is the bomb. Best razor I've ever used for close, comfortable shaves.

With regard to the razors you mention I own a Karve and Gamechanger .84-P. The Karve with its choice of plates is more flexible than your other choices. It is a precision instrument and you can easily change plates, from shave to shave or even during a shave. Lets say you have not shaved for several days. You can put on the E or F plate and mow those whiskers down. Alternatively, if you are shaving every day, you can put the D or C plate on. Today I used my Karve on the C plate WTG, B XTG, A ATG and AA cleanup, changing plates every pass. This razor clamps the blade, provides a good steady cutting action and is very smooth. This would be my suggestion.

I cannot opine on the Dart though I do like my Blackbird. For that matter I also really like the Gamechanger--if you have a steady hand it is really nice.
With regard to the razors you mention I own a Karve and Gamechanger .84-P. The Karve with its choice of plates is more flexible than your other choices. It is a precision instrument and you can easily change plates, from shave to shave or even during a shave. Lets say you have not shaved for several days. You can put on the E or F plate and mow those whiskers down. Alternatively, if you are shaving every day, you can put the D or C plate on. Today I used my Karve on the C plate WTG, B XTG, A ATG and AA cleanup, changing plates every pass. This razor clamps the blade, provides a good steady cutting action and is very smooth. This would be my suggestion.

I cannot opine on the Dart though I do like my Blackbird. For that matter I also really like the Gamechanger--if you have a steady hand it is really nice.
I was wondering why the need for the
Steady hand is particular to the RR
Game Changer.

I just got my Dart in the mail today from Maggard Razors and WOW what a shave! I am one who cannot stand mild razors and the lack of blade feel, so this one seems to fit the bill nicely. Much like my Muhle R41, but the grip on the handle is night and day better and the resulting shave is wonderful. I did get two very minor nicks, but I am sure that I will master this razor with time. Also, the top cap is a low enough of a profile that I can shave below my beak without any trouble. I would not recommend this razor to a newbie though.
Glad you got your DART today
I ordered one earlier this week so it
Should be here pretty soon I can hardly
Wait, I ordered the Polished version.
Although both finishes are excellent.
IMHO: it goes without saying that if
It's Blackland it'll be of a high quality &
Meet a very high standard.
So what finish did you get?

Glad you got your DART today
I ordered one earlier this week so it
Should be here pretty soon I can hardly
Wait, I ordered the Polished version.
Although both finishes are excellent.
IMHO: it goes without saying that if
It's Blackland it'll be of a high quality &
Meet a very high standard.
So what finish did you get?
I elected to go with the machined finish as the polished version was 44.44% higher in price. The value of the machined version was just too good to pass up, but now that I have it I kind of wish that I had spent the extra $40 to get the polished version. Everything about this razor says quality and the balance is perfect for my large hands. I believe that the only reason why someone does not fall in love with this razor is because it is a little bit too aggressive for their taste. Glad to see that good old American craftmanship and design can be affordable for most people to take a chance on a $99.00 razor!

[QUOTE="Southsider, post: 10005553, member: 120031" For that matter I also really like the Gamechanger--if you have a steady hand it is really nice.

I was wondering why the need for the
Steady hand is particular to the RR
Game Changer.[/QUOTE]
The question posed was from the point of view of a rookie. As compared to a .68 gap, I think a rookie would be well advised to keep a steady hand to avoid problems. I think you don't have to be as mindful with certain DE razors e.g. Rockwell 6S or with milder razors like a RR .68. I don't think about it much now that I have a good deal of experience under my belt with my RR Game Changer .84 but the other day I lost concentration and set the .84 down on my face awkwardly, causing a nice little cut that took a day or two to heal.

The Dart is a very nice razor. I rate the 89 about a 4, .84 GC about a 5-6, the Dart a 7,the R41 a 9, CG3 9+ and Ikon Tech 9++. A straight is 10. I didn't care for the Karve F it felt too mild. Also look at the Rocca. A touch smoother than the Dart with a lower profile.
I have a Rocca and its a great razor more comfortable than the Dart.The Dart is very aggressive with almost any blade even a Voskhod.I would not purchase a Dart as I won mine in a raffle.The Dart is over the top....I am a Barber and know how to shave.

I have a Rocca and its a great razor more comfortable than the Dart.The Dart is very aggressive with almost any blade even a Voskhod.I would not purchase a Dart as I won mine in a raffle.The Dart is over the top....I am a Barber and know how to shave.

Use a steeper angle (ride the safety bar). This pulls the blade back and allows you to modulate the aggressiveness. Technique must adapt to each razor to get the most out of it. This is why you have people who claim the Dart is mild or mid-aggressive in the same thread as people claiming it’s the most aggressive razor ever. The Dart works at a large swath of angles so use that to your advantage and find the amount of blade feel that works for you.

Gracias Shane !! Espero no pensar en ofender, pero creo que el dardo es superior al mirlo en proximidad con menos pases, comodidad y precio; además de tener un estilo casi vintage para la cabeza de la navaja. Es elegante. El mirlo, por otro lado, tiene un diseño superior. También es muy eficiente pero requiere una pasada más en comparación con el dardo. Tengo ambos y los amo. El secreto de ambos es la técnica en mi caso. Siento que el dardo tiene una gama más amplia de ángulos para elegir, por lo que puede elegir súper eficiente y agresivo o súper suave y eficiente al mismo tiempo. El mirlo tiene un ángulo muy estrecho en el que funciona excelente. Ambos son guardianes. Si puede obtener uno o ambos, no se sentirá decepcionado. Después, ya no querrá utilizar otras maquinillas de afeitar y tendrá que venderlas. Ese' s lo buenos que son. Felicitaciones a Shane por sus excelentes diseños. En mi humilde opinión, es el King Camp Gillette de nuestro tiempo.

Thanks Shane !! I hope do not think to offend, but I think that the dart is superior to the blackbird in proximity with less passes, comfort and price; in addition to having an almost vintage style for the razor's head. It is elegant. The blackbird on the other hand is superior in design. It is also super efficient but requires one more pass compared to dart. I have both and I love them. The secret in both is the technique in my case. I feel like the dart has a wider range of angles to choose from, so you can choose super efficient and aggressive or super smooth and efficient at the same time. The blackbird has a very narrow angle at which it works excellent. They are both guardians. If you can get one or both, you won't be disappointed. Afterwards you will no longer want to use other razors and will have to sell them. That's how good they are. Congratulations to Shane for his excellent designs. It is in my humble opinion the King Camp Gillette of our time.

Top Bottom