What's new

Fiberglass

I picked up a 3wt CGR from Cabela's after reading that fiberglass is making a comeback. Fished it last week and had a blast landing several 8-11 inch rainbows on a small stream. Promptly went out and got an inexpensive click reel because I don't trust my Islander on a slip ring real seat, and I'm already looking forward to taking it out again.
Best thing, I'm under $250 for rod, reel and line and don't have to worry about busting up my fragile, expensive graphite and cane rods bushwacking or around clumsy dogs. Already looking at another in 5/6.
Anybody else try out the new 'glass and enjoy it?

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have a Livingston 5 weight that I enjoy fishing and a 3 weight I built from a Proof kit. I like them both although my first choice is usually bamboo. You are right though, they are tough and when you don't want to worry about wrecking super high end stuff, they are fun to fish. I often use them for night fishing or when I am in a canoe on a tight stream.
I have done all my fishing on click and pawl reels during the last year and have had fun learning to palm the reels.
I plan to build up a 6 weight once I decide on the blank.
"Glass is not dead!"

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
IMG_1597.jpg

Here is a pic of the lantern.

Fiberglass is all I fish with (unless I’m in the salt). My go to’s are a couple of Phillipson Epoxite rods and a few masters series. They are how I like to cast, so that’s what I fish with.

Recently was just on a guided trip and the guide kinda made a face when I asked if I could fish with my own stuff. He begrudgingly said sure, but rigged up one of those new Orvis super fast rods. I’m happy to be fishing any time, but casting with carbon fiber on a small stream is soul-less. Can’t feel the rod, have to watch the rod tip cause I can’t feel the rod get loaded. Fiberglass for me. (It’s what is best for me, if you like something else, that is spectacular!)

Heads up... Gary Loomis, ie Northfork Composites has glass blanks on sale if you like to roll your own. Click on Fly and scroll down to the bottom for the glass.
I'll definitely look that up. My favourite rod of all time is an old (made in Canada) GL2; 9 ft 5 wt. That thing casts like a dream; just when they were figuring out carbon fiber. I think those blanks might be sweet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Promptly went out and got an inexpensive click reel because I don't trust my Islander on a slip ring real seat, and I'm already looking forward to taking it out again.

Cut a couple pieces from a bicycle inner tube and stretch them over the rings. They'll keep them in place, add grip and are warmer for those colder days.

I've not swung a glass rod but I am partial to Loomis IM6. My 16'4 three piece 5wt spey rod has caught a lot of big Chinook and Steelhead.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I picked up a 3wt CGR from Cabela's after reading that fiberglass is making a comeback...Anybody else try out the new 'glass and enjoy it?
Fine looking rig, EB ... & that Bouglé was made for such rods!

I’ve been fishing glass (& bamboo) since the early-‘90s ... started off with a Scott 7’ #3 & then added a Hardy 6-1/2’ #3, an RL Winston 8’ #4 & most recently, one of Yasuyuki Kubuto’s 7’ #3 rods (below).

Back when Tom Morgan owned the RL Winston rod company, he was questioned as to why Twin Bridges wasn’t coming out with as many new rod models, as was the Sage rod company. His reply was simple: “Hey, if a fly rod was a good fly rod thirty-years ago, then it’s still going to be a good rod today”!
Be it bamboo, fiberglass, graphite, etc., Morgan’s logic is as relevant today as it was decades ago.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Fine looking rig, EB ... & that Bouglé was made for such rods!

I’ve been fishing glass (& bamboo) since the early-‘90s ... started off with a Scott 7’ #3 & then added a Hardy 6-1/2’ #3, an RL Winston 8’ #4 & most recently, one of Yasuyuki Kubuto’s 7’ #3 rods (below).

Back when Tom Morgan owned the RL Winston rod company, he was questioned as to why Twin Bridges wasn’t coming out with as many new rod models, as was the Sage rod company. His reply was simple: “Hey, if a fly rod was a good fly rod thirty-years ago, then it’s still going to be a good rod today”!
Be it bamboo, fiberglass, graphite, etc., Morgan’s logic is as relevant today as it was decades ago.
Not only is that a beautiful rod/reel combo, that is some great photography!!

Top Bottom