What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: GEM PushButton (Gold)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (1st)
Brush: Spiffo - D'rargo (Manchurian Two-Band SHD Fan) 1st use
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Le Père Lucien - Rose de Pushkar
Aftershave: Collin’s - Jolly Tar
B4B14CF8-E49F-432B-9367-17DCA47BF631.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
I want this soap!... and this razor!... and this brush!...and this...!
I’ve been waiting on this shave for two days. For no reason my mind decided on this combo and that was that. I only had to wait for the brush to arrive.
As expected, I got a nice BBS. A tiny bit of facial afterglow, but that is expected on the first shave when breaking in a new Personna PTFE blade. No burn, just a glow that tells you it’s a real close shave.

Ive been finding these Le Père Lucien soaps give a good lather coverage on the first pass, but tend to apply thinner and more transparent on the second pass. I guess there are no whiskers for the lather to stick to, so it just leaves a slick surface film for glide and protection. Makes sense. Whatever, it produces a comfortable shave.

This is my first “Fan Knot” brush and I think I’m in love. The HD fan knot just seems to agree with my style. While I was waiting for it I was considering another 26mm fan, but seeing how much real estate this 24mm knot covers, maybe I’ll scrap that idea.

Jolly Tar AS splash is high on my list of faves. I love Anise (liquorice) scented soaps and aftershaves. Not as a background scent...full frontal, and am always on the search. Jolly Tar was done just right. Spearmint and anise oil. Not mentholated or cooling, but real spearmint, and with the anise oil it becomes this earthy, woody yet light and fresh scent. Very, very nice. Its also full of face food, so don’t splash on too much.

Okay...I’ve got two days to figure out what my next shave will be. I better get on it!

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Monday morning shave

Razor: Rich Leukroth Empire State
Brush: Horse
Soap: Geo. F. Trumper cream

Phenomenal shave, fantastic razor that I have spent time on to get it where it needs to be. GFT was slick and my face feels smooth. Happy Monday!
3148BE66-B005-4EA0-93AC-84C4AFB986ED.jpeg

9/10

Fatip Piccolo Mk1
GSB (1)
Omega 10065 boar brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Proraso Red shaving soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
LEA 3-in-1 balm with mild alcohol and menthol

Clean, comfortable shave; DFS+

Pretty low-buck shave today compared to yesterday. Still got good results, though.

Prep: Warm Water
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Simpson T3
Soap: Stirling 'Sheep' (Unscented)
Aftershave: Cold water, Alum block, Proraso (white)

Rating : 7/10

Decided to try an Astra Superior Platinum (green box) since they seem so popular and I have some laying around. The overall shave was good but this blade didn't seem as efficient as one of my preferred blades, such as a Crystal, Lab Blue or Nacet. It also left my face feeling a little raw immediately post-shave. Can't say I was lovin' that too much. The irritation died down after a couple hours and now, as I type this, I'm feeling pretty damn smooth. Wife Approval Rating = "High", so that's good. Still... That post-shave irritation seriously harshed my (shaving) mellow. I'll save these for shaving the cat.

Monday Shave

Pre-shave: Shower/hot washcloth/PAA The Cube
Razor: 1956 Flair Tip
Blade: Battle Brothers
Brush: Rooney Bristle & Badger
Soap: PAA Diver Down
Bowl/Mug: Fleamarket find
Post Shave: Thayers/Nivea balm/The Ordinary hyaluronic acid
AS:pAA DIver Down

36hrs since my last shave.
Broke out the Flair Tip for the first time. Paired it with a Battle Brothers blade. These blades are pretty darn sharp.
Whipped up a lather for the first time with the Diver Down with the vintage Rooney Bristle & Badger brush. I really love the feel of this brush. DD is a really nice scent.. but what happened during the shave was unexpected.. There is not menthol in the soap, but it has something that starts to cool after a few minutes. Certainly reminds me of B&M Terror in that regard.
Did my normal 3 pass shave, which always leaves some stubble around the jawline, and in the hollows of my neck. So after rinsing off my face, I started to wipe it down with the Thayers on a cottonball. Then I decided to try something: While my face was wet with the Thayers, I ran the razor over my trouble spots, and ended up taking the stubble down.
After that, I added some hyaluronic acid drops to the Nivea and slathered it on to absorb while cleaning up the counter.
After about 5 minutes of letting it absorb, I splashed on the PAA DD aftershave. Got nice feedback from it. And much like the B&M Terror balm, it gets warm just after application, and then goes into a cooling cycle. Very refreshing, and a great scent.

After the irritation of the last 2 shaves with the VHD blade, I'm not shocked that I still had a little around the adams apple on this shave, but it was very minor, and went away in about an hour.

Much better shave, and much better results.
Today's shave gets a 8.75.
2020-10-26.jpg

Razor: Henson medium plate
Blade: Feather HS (2)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic 28mm
Soap: Zingari Man the explorer
Rating: 8

I was intrigued by the reports of the Henson razor so got one to test. I got a dfs result but even with a feather blade I find it too mild for my tastes. The head pretty much dictates the angle and with light pressure it gives a fairly good shave but I prefer more blade feel and efficiency. I'll probably use it a few more times with different blades etc but not as part of a regular rotation.
PXL_20201026_203554253.jpg

Razor: Razorock DE1
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated (1)
Lather: Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel
Aftershave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent followed by Aqua Velva Classic

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.5
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation. Very smooth, very close and pleasant shave.😀

Rating: 9.75/10

My best shave ever? Maybe not, but pretty damned close.

- Prep: Warm Water
- Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
- Brush: Spiffo 24mm Super Badger
- Razor: Rockwell 6S (plate 3)
- Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
- Soap: B&M Hallows
- Aftershave: B&M Hallows Balm
- Post Shave: Hyaluronic Acid

Like Christmas morning at my place today! New soap, new balm, new brush and new blades all landed today. What a stellar bunch of shaving gear I got to try out for the first time tonight...

The Spiffo brush is amazing. The construction is flawless and it was very inexpensive for what it is. I never heard of this small Canadian company until last week when @P@tsfan6484 mentioned he was enjoying his. I ordered a brush right away and I am glad I did. $60US for a beautiful handle and a big 24mm Super Badger knot? Crazy. I will be ordering a two band in the near future.

250 Wizamets arrived from Morocco today (Wizashave is solid to deal with but 3+ weeks to arrive in Canada) and I think I have a new favorite blade. Sharp and super smooth.

My first sniff of B&M Hollows was awful off the puck. After lathered? It’s excellent... cocoa, earthy notes and maybe some floral? Weird stuff, but I really like it. The Soft Heart base is always excellent. The balm is also nice and a little goes a long way.

Perfect BBS with no weepers or irritation. THIS is why I wetshave.

10/10 for sure. 👍

Last edited:
Tue 27 OCtober#21 with New Soap
Soap Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Badger
Razor Fatip OC Grande
Blade Bluebird Platinum 2nd
Post & Aftershave
Special Thayers Mix + Hyaluronic
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
New Soap...and wow! Unique leathery type of scent. Did not any smell tobacco. Love the leathery scent. Strength around 5/10. Performance was ok...perhaps my 1st time added abit too much water.
Shave with razor paired with blade was ok, acceptable smooth and comfort for 3passes. Between bbs to dfs result. Excellent post and aftershave. Notice some creepers later.
Really nice soap scent.
Rating 9.5/10
20201027_112620.jpg

Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 4.5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 5

One nick. No irritation. Very close and smooth shave.
Witch Hazel report was low. It is easy for me to over shave with the Mamba 70 and the PolSilver SI.

I had forgotten how excellent the PolSilver SI is!!!

Rating: 9.75/10

Razor: Karve D
Blade: Personna med prep
Brush: My Curly Mango and 2 band Shavemac
Soap: Mike's coconut 🥥
9.4 out of 10
I completely forgot I had Mike's...Great performance and the coconut scent did not irritate my face .. Mike's coconut will be stacked next to my Ethos....3rd and last use on the Blade so a little tugging ...The Shavemac is starting to Bloom😍
20201027_061122.jpg

Daily Shave: 27 October 2020

DSCF2305.JPG

Prep:
Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Viking ‘uber’ lather using rain water
Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Gillette Nacet / Blade #4 / Shave #2
Passes:
2 (WTG & ATG)
Witch Hazel wipe down / Pinaud Clubman A/S
Rating:
10.0 BBS A perfect shave for starting a cold and rain Tuesday morning. No stubble or nicks at all; but one tiny oozer from shaving off an old scab.

Top Bottom