What's new

De vs. Straight edge

Either will. It just takes practice. However, during the learning curve, a big error with a DE can give you a nasty nick. A big err with a straight can give you one much nastier.

Choose your weapon with care.

In the right hands both will give you a BBS. It doesn’t get much closer than that.

DE will allow you to fine tune the direction of your strokes in terms of gain mapping to a higher degree. It’s more manoeuvrable. This can be useful on the neck. SR will allow you fine tune the blade angle more than DE. You can go much shallower and still get good contact. Useful for against the grain. Both can be just as sharp. Both can get just as close.

I generally prefer SR for at home and DE for travel. I find the SR shave to be equally close but more comfortable than the DE. Fancy natural finishers and leather stroping enhance the comfort even more over a flimsy factory blade. DE is more compact and convenient for travel. It can be just as comfortable but I find there is a lower margin of safety prior to irritation. Too many strokes, too much pressure or a bad angle can make things go south pretty quickly. Ironically I find that SR is more forgiving.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My SR shaves are as consistently close and comfortable as my DE shaves were. It took longer to get to this point than with DE though. Considering the methods are so different, the results are very similar for me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It is what works best for you and what you are more comfortable using. I would love to try a Straight but I have hand issues especially in the cold weather. I am not confident using a Straight especially with keeping them sharp. Therefore I chose not to use them.

Between a double edge razor and a straight razor, which one will give the closest shave?
Both tools are capable of achieving the same standard. The variable here is the person handling the tool and can they develop good technique. Some people cannot handle a straight razor and work with both hands.
To put things into context, the straight razor needs more maintenance in addition to good technique, for more information check the Wiki here; Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_Straight_Razor_Shaving

The top of the lip is my bane with a straight, just below the lower lip on either side is my lazy spot with de. Both will service the ideal and the daily effort toward satisfaction once you've developed the conscious competence. Either will be your best friend when your relationship is unconsciously competent. Hah, and both can still surprise the bloody heck out of you, just like your kitchen knife, pocket, or utility. Don't disrespect your sharps!

Straight razors require a focused mind and a steady hand, fortified with knowledge, skill and experience. Safety razors also require those elements, but to a lesser degree.

There is a reason why safety razors early-on supplanted straight razors; there is a reason why 95%+ of shavers today use safety razors.

Which delivers "the closest shave"? It depends on how you define "closest". I used DEs exclusively for 5+ years. BBS was the norm. The DE shave was "closer" then the carts I had previously used and would "last" 10-12 hours.

I switched to straights going on three years ago. BBS is the norm for me here too. And a straight shave will last me 14 - 15 hours.

Since I include how long the shave lasts in my definition of "close", a straight shaves me "closer".

Add in the whole ritual of stropping and honing, and the mystique of the open blade, and straights are a real winner for me.

A blade against the skin is a blade against the skin. You do not get closer shaves than that. Many DE allows you to have the blade against the skin and will deliver the same close shave.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
For me I find a straights to be better but the difference is marginal. Master the technique of either method and you'll be rewarded with great shaves.

Why not get both and let us know your findings. After all half the fun is trying these things out for yourself.

with me specifically, measuring/evaluating solely by return of stubble time in specific areas............SR edges out both the DE's and SE's i have.

this is not the most important measurement to me however; comfort would reign Supreme to me. SR takes the checkered flag for me.......thats one of the many reasons I've continued with my journey.

that........and playing with stones is the equivalent of in the DE world of trying out different blades (i.e. Feather vs. Gillette vs. Astra vs. Derby Platinum, etc......)

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Between a double edge razor and a straight razor, which one will give the closest shave?
With the proper technique developed, both will give you the closest shave - meaning how smoother your face feels after the shave. Where the difference is is in how long that smooth feeling lasts. That's where a good SR (that includes a shavette) shave can out perform a good DE shave.

There are however other things to consider besides just a smooth finish from your shave. One of the most important is enjoyment. For me, cart shaving was a chore that I didn't like. DE shaving is good. SR shaving is so enjoyable that I wish I could shave more often than just once or occasionally twice per day. It's 7pm here. As a matter of fact, I might have a second SR shave today now. Not needed but just for the enjoyment.

Does that tell you something?

Last edited:
I can achieve great shaves with either a DE or a straight! :a29:

For me the big difference is that DE involves less muss and fuss! But that‘s my experience, YMMV.

Top Bottom