What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Good ole Stirling, phenomenal shaves with the soap and excellent aftershave splash. The balm is, as I've said, one of the best I've ever used. Seriously a home run product, very much top shelf. I am also using their unrefined shea butter on my face, head, upper torso and arms. Using Stirling orange chill witch hazel to stretch it. My entire skin care and shaving line is Stirling and loving it.

Intrepid Man is just very nice and comfy. Great "get under the covers, now" scent ;)

I've been tracking my Stirling samples and they will be here Monday. I am really looking forward to trying them but can't decide which one to grab first. I'll let the masses help me decide with this poll.

While I picked Executive Man (especially if you have the splash), you will quickly line up the others. The soap is top notch regardless of the fragrance.

My approach for Stirling samples is to try one and if I think I'll be buying the full size container later I'll set that aside with the label and then I'll open the next one. If I don't care for that one or don't think I'll be ordering the full size container, I'll just put that in a small shave cup/bowl.

I then open the next one. Every one that doesn't turn out to be a favorite I'll put on top of each other in the bowl. Any that I do really like I'll set aside with the label.

Eventually I'll work my way though that left over stacked bowl but I don't really need to remember the names. The ones that I keep separated with the labels will help when it's time to re-order.

By the way, I voted for Gatlinburg but none of those would be on my re-order list although I do have a full size container of Gatlinburg (and Bay Rum).

It really depends on which scent you like since the performance is outstanding on every single Stirling soap I tried here's my 3 favourites

Piacenza
Lavender & bergamot
Executive man

In an attempt to temper the AAD (aftershave acquisition disorder) I ordered a bunch of samples from my current favorite for aftershaves - Stirling. You can read about the scent profiles on their website but I just wanted to provide some quick reviews for them as I've had a chance to use each one at least 3 times (except Gatlinburg) and some I've run out of.

I work for the US Navy so I am biased towards scents that will "fit in" while I'm in my uniform of the day. That means I want to smell nice without being too nice if that makes sense. I compare it with wearing construction attire on a job site.

Baker Street - Clean cologne type scent but in a masculine way. SWMBO approves and I love the subtle scent I get from it over a few hours. Makes my facemask smell great all day. I would utilize this scent more in an office setting. Might be too fancy for the blue collars though.

Barbershop - This scent reminds me of something classic. Powdery but not overpowering in that regard. Pleasant scent that gets even better after drying. SWMBO LOVES it. This certainly will work as a daily driver for me and I will be ordering more.

Bay Rum - I DID NOT like this one at first. It went on and had a very...medicinal green heavy scent. The "burn" from this one almost seems more than any of the other aftershaves I've tried from Stirling (generally the highest "burn" feel from any brands i've tried, and I love it) After the initial green scent, it dries down into something exotic and spicy in the best way. The first day was "ok" but based on a lot of people's love for Bay Rum I wanted to give it more reps. It's now one of my faves and I love the spice I get from it as the day wears on. It (along with Barbershop and Sandpiper) makes my facemask smell wonderful all day. SWMBO doesn't like this one as much but it's perfect for my blue collar type job and I'll def get the full set.

Cocunut Lime - The scent description from Stirling is pretty spot on. A very bright and cheerful cocunut and lime scent. SWMBO got me a full puck and aftershave combo while I was deployed. After smelling some of the other offerings she probably would skip this one in favor of Barbershop, Baker Street and Triumph. She does love when I use this though.

Executive Man - Their most popular scent and I can see why. It's very masculine and sensual. SWMBO thinks it's just OK. I like it but I will never buy it because it just doesn't "fit" with my line of work. Maybe if I were a day trader?

Gatlinburg - The scent description had me extremely excited for this one. However I had to wash it off after 20 minutes. It's my least favorite scent and it is due to the "liquid smoke" aroma that just assaulted my nose constantly. SWMBO agreed and told me to throw this one away and I wasn't interested in more reps. Done.

Gentleman - I received this as a shave soap sample and I quickly ordered an aftershave sample. It's very masculine and clean. It's sensual without being over the top. Similar to Haverford without a strong vanilla presence. I like Haverford more as a fragrance but I feel like I'd wear this more for a day-to-day warm tobacco fragrance in an office setting. Haverford to me is a date night fragrance.

Haverford - Based on a Tobacco and Vanilla fragrance. It an intoxicating and very sensual smell. It's my favorite of the cologne type scents that I've tried but for me it's not a good day-to-day fragrance as I'm blue collar and in coveralls all day. Not a good match. I'll order this one for special occasions though! Also tied with SWMBOs favorite cologne scent.

Island Man - This one is interesting. The scent description sounds incredible and I do think this one smells VERY nice when using and applying. After the dry down it leaves a little bit to be desired. I can't quite put my finger on it but I think it's just a little too sweet on me for an extended amount of time. SWMBO ordered a full size tub for me with the Cocunut Lime combo but I think she'd get Baker Street or Barbershop for me now.

Ozark Mountain - This one is the winner when it comes to woodsy scents! I love this scent and SWMBO agrees. It's a piney scent but finishes with something sweet. I ordered a full size aftershave for this one. It's the perfect scent for my job in the fall/winter season without being too cologne heavy.

Sandpiper - This is one of my favorites! It's a very clean masculine scent and teeters on the line between cologne and everyday scent. I feel like I could use this every day at both an office and a jobsite and you wouldn't be out of place. This also makes my facemask smell really great all day.

Sharp Dressed Man - SDM is my second favorite cologne-type scent. Like the other cologne type scents I'll just keep the samples around for date nights.

Spice - I remember this scent. It was all over the place in my house and in school. It smells like Old Spice. I could take it or leave it. Because it's such a classic scent it's just not unique enough for me to order more. It borders on the edge of cologne and every day use. I'd order 3 or 4 different scents for each of those applications over this one.

Triumph - One of SWMBOs favorites. I know this is modeled after a cologne but it has an extremely CLEAN everyday scent and I think it would serve VERY well as a day to day splash as well as a date night splash. When I run out of Triumph and Sandpiper samples it will be hard for me to decide between them. Maybe I'll just have to get both!

My favorites / will order more: As a daily shaver and 5 or 6 days a week on the ship, I need to focus on the "everyday" scents and not smell too overdressed while in my coveralls swabbing the decks!

1. Bay Rum - I'm a sailor so it's a home run on both scent and theme! This scent to me just gets better and better with each application.
2. Ozark Mountain - Woodsy and manly. Can be used every day in fall/winter on the job site or office.
3. Barbershop - Truly a great all around scent that can be used for a job site or office. Smells great without giving off a condescending vibe. This should probably be number 2 as it's great for year-round use.
4. Sandpiper - Hits that unique clean masculine scent that I'm looking for without being too sensual. This would be my daily driver in an office setting.
5. Haverford - My actual favorite scent profile. I have to drop it down as it's just a date-night scent for me. I could also place Gentleman or Sharp Dressed Man here and be extremely happy.

SWMBO favorites:

1. Barbershop - SWMBO would choose Triumph or Ozark Mountains top notes over Barbershop, but this is the one I get the most compliments from her on after drying down. I'm talking compliments EVERY TIME I wear this. The others are just one-offs.
2. Triumph - She likes this one and Haverford a LOT. The only reason I place this above Haverford here is that it's been complimented on after a couple hours and the Haverford has not.
3. Ozark Mountain - She demanded I order a full size. I complied.
4. Baker Street - I dig it and she digs it. I personally think this one is like Sandpiper in a sense that it can be worn year round as a daily driver in an office setting.
5. Cocunut Lime - She says it's just a fun scent and she always wants to be closer to me when I use it.

Hopefully this helps some of you all! I know these comparison and "what do you think" threads get thrown around a lot on here. There are still some scents I'd like to try and will get to eventually but all of the ones I got peaked my interest initially. Now that I know what I like more of it will help me make decisions with other makers going forward!

I think I've received a freebie each time, even when I ordered the samples of Bay Rum and Noir I mentioned. Of course they could have been freebies from some other order, and I've forgotten. Let us know if you get anything extra.
Got my order yesterday and, as you pointed out, there was a sample of the Sandpiper shampoo bar in there. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

I'll just leave my wife's single sentence review of Executive Man:

"Yeeeah, that's a panty dropper."
Turns out your wife and my wife have similar tastes it scent profiles. My wife's reaction was on point to your wife's review.

As we were smelling them all I was telling her all the products in their line and I had saved Executive man for last. After she smelled the Executive Man she said " yeah you better just go ahead and order one of everything in this scent". Definitely a favorite.

Executive Man is a nonsolicited compliment getter. If you've got on EM and are close around any number of women, odds are pretty damn good that one is going to say something to you. Some say it's because the birch pineapple literally smells like money, who knows.

Edit: that's not saying enough. If I was wearing Executive Man I'd say something to me, too

This is getting kinda weird

Edit edit : I honestly don't remember Creed Santal, but Intrepid Man is great scent on its own.

Who's going to try?
Screenshot_20201028-135621_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Top Bottom