What's new

Old timer equipment

I like the atoma 400, it's an aluminum plate machined dead flat and has a replaceable abrasive pad that's attached. I'm not sure what links are allowed on bnb but the etsy shop tomo nagura usually carries them, the shop keeper is a great guy to work with. SWMBO is an acronym used to refer to the wife. It stands for she who must be obeyed, in a loving way of course.
Ha ha, Ive been watching the guys videos from Tomo Nagura. Most of it is over my head though. So since he sells the lapping plates I take it Natural stones need to be lapped periodically too.

Ha ha, Ive been watching the guys videos from Tomo Nagura. Most of it is over my head though. So since he sells the lapping plates I take it Natural stones need to be lapped periodically too.
Basically every stone needs lapped periodically. The best edges can only be found on a flat stone.

Do along the lines of need, I have a straight razor, a double strop (leather and canvas). If I get Chromium Oxide and out it on the canvas I shouldn't need anything else in theory?

If I were to get a 12k naniwa stone would that be enough to get by on?

The edge I have been shavng off of for years has been a Naniwa 12k and stropped on a CrOx pasted strop after honing. It provides a lovely smooth, clean edge that will provide wonderful results on your face. I personally wouldn't strop of the the CrOx every time though, I find that it leads to an overly harsh edge from frequent contact with abrasives and will require honing more quickly. I only go back to the pasted strop if the edge isn't brought back to life with the leather. It will revitalize the edge and make it last longer between stone sessions if used properly.

In the end, don't get too caught up in the details. The basics are a good, flat stone, a strop and razor. You will experiment more than you can imagine and hone in on (get it? :biggrin1:) what works best for you.

The edge I have been shavng off of for years has been a Naniwa 12k and stropped on a CrOx pasted strop after honing. It provides a lovely smooth, clean edge that will provide wonderful results on your face. I personally wouldn't strop of the the CrOx every time though, I find that it leads to an overly harsh edge from frequent contact with abrasives and will require honing more quickly. I only go back to the pasted strop if the edge isn't brought back to life with the leather. It will revitalize the edge and make it last longer between stone sessions if used properly.

In the end, don't get too caught up in the details. The basics are a good, flat stone, a strop and razor. You will experiment more than you can imagine and hone in on (get it? :biggrin1:) what works best for you.
Thanks for the input. I ordered some diamond pastes, a whole set on eBay for around $13. I'm going to experiment with those then eventually take your suggestion with the 12k, CrOx, and strop (already have the stop)

Legion

Staff member
Im curious if the sharpening services that ground knives/scissors also sharpened razors.. anyone know? Pictures from a simple basic search show a large grinding wheel, so I’d guess no, but i didnt see any better clarity to what they did.
Yes. In fact there were travelling hone-blokes who would go around the regional communities with a wagon, and hone whatever was needed. They would have a wheel, but also a variety of bench stones.

This guy would show up in town maybe once a month, and all the yokels would present everything from a razor to an axehead.

Do along the lines of need, I have a straight razor, a double strop (leather and canvas). If I get Chromium Oxide and out it on the canvas I shouldn't need anything else in theory?

If I were to get a 12k naniwa stone would that be enough to get by on?
Yeah that’s plenty.
I never use CrOx as I’ve found some good and some bad so stopped using it and haven’t missed it once. A 12k Naniwa will keep your razor super sharp for ever unless you drop it or chip it then you would need something coarser to repair it or you could just send it out. You don’t need a stone Or a diamond plate to flatten the Naniwa. I use 320 grit wet and dry sandpaper wet and laid on a glass chopping board. Any flat tile or thickish glass is fine too. I only flatten the sharpening stone once in a blue moon but I don’t use it heavily.
Razor, strop, stone and sandpaper is all you’ll need in 99% of situations.
An alternative to the NANIWA is a pack of lapping films which you’d cut to size or a cheap natural stone. I use a little piece of Welsh slate, there’s a slightly steeper learning curve with the natural but it’s very smooth

Top Bottom