What's new

Rockwell 6* vs Dial Adjustable Razors

Hello Fellow Shavers!

I recently picked up a Rockwell 6s, as I was looking for a robust, adjustable, well made razor that will last a lifetime.

I'm not saying I necessarily have buyer's remorse, but I'm wondering what is it about the Rockwell 6 series that is "preferable" (I know, not the best term) than a dial based adjustable razor, and vice versa.

From my research within the forums, and elsewhere, I've got the following:

Why Rockwell is preferable:
- Less "moving parts" -> because adjustment is plate based, it's effectively a 3-piece razor, and there are less moving pieces subject to wear over time.

Why dial based adjustable razors are preferable:
- On-the-fly adjustments between passes
- Possibility for "micro-adjustments" between number settings, further fine tuning blade exposure for personal preference.

Any other points I should be privy to? Any owners of either desiring to stake their claim?

Many thanks!

I have both Rockwell 6s and a Gillette 'Fat Boy' adjustable.
For me the difference is how the razor holds the blade. I prefer that the blade be as rigid as possible and therefor prefer the Fat Boy. When I use the 6S, I have to use a shim to increase the blade rigidity.

Being able to adjust the numbers mid-shave never yielded favorable results. (IMHO)

As usual - - - YMMV

If you are a set it and forget it kind of shaver then the Rockwell is great. If you like a different setting for each pass, then the dial gets the nod.

yeah_that.gif

Another point missing is that the Rockwell is very top heavy.

I have both Rockwell 6s and a Gillette 'Fat Boy' adjustable.
For me the difference is how the razor holds the blade. I prefer that the blade be as rigid as possible and therefor prefer the Fat Boy. When I use the 6S, I have to use a shim to increase the blade rigidity.

Being able to adjust the numbers mid-shave never yielded favorable results. (IMHO)

As usual - - - YMMV

I know that you say YMMV but I still seriously have to ask this...
You believe that your FatBoy holds the blade more rigidly than basically two chunks of Stainless Steel that you can screw together pretty much to your hearts content without fear of stripping the threads.

Another point missing is that the Rockwell is very top heavy.

I know that you say YMMV but I still seriously have to ask this...
You believe that your FatBoy holds the blade more rigidly than basically two chunks of Stainless Steel that you can screw together pretty much to your hearts content without fear of stripping the threads.

What he said.

The Rockwell holds the blade very rigid and the shave geometry is amazing. The Rockwell has been designed by some very smart designers with a modern computer design program and they knew very well wnat they wanted to make. A lot of modern dial adjustables are copies of vintage adjustables and I am not sure if the science has gone in to get that smooth shave like a Rockwell gives.

Most vintage adjustables i have and the modern dial adjustables Which have a spring for adjustability- the spring defeats even CNC machining. I have uneven blade exposure in my Rex Ambassador even if I got it corrected once and is the case for most moving part adjustable razors. This is a bigger irritation for dial adjustables if you get a lemon like I did.

When I use my Rockwell , I usually carry a plate which I will use and it does not change through the shave. I know my razors too well and know the feel I want depending on the number of days of growth

Once I have a handle on how aggressive a razor is on dial adjustables - it's the same- I dont adjust it like every pass or every stroke.

On both some settings never get used such as 1 or 2.

Last edited:
They don't make 'em like they used to. Translation: I prefer "dial adjustments," though such an adjustable razor is slightly more difficult to keep clean, especially internally.

the black is better than my 6c..ik its not a 6s but there isnt a huge difference in the 6s and 6c and ill tell you now that it may be a clone futur but it gives some pretty damn close shaves it barely leaves any grain feeling whereas this 6c well...idk ymmv?

Attachments

• 11FC322B-E278-489D-A54E-427EEB8FB41B.jpeg
    11FC322B-E278-489D-A54E-427EEB8FB41B.jpeg
    858.9 KB · Views: 39
  • CF034DD6-F017-4C3B-A9B5-9915262A44F0.jpeg
    CF034DD6-F017-4C3B-A9B5-9915262A44F0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
First let me say that I'm not knocking the Rockwell 6 series; they are fantastic razors. Having said that, I don't consider the 6 to be a true "adjustable" razor. It's more like a razor system, where you can pick your razor (i.e. plate), from among 6 choices, for any given day. A true adjustable razor lets you select different settings mid-shave, or mid-pass if you prefer. That's not really a practical option with the 6S. One is not better than the other, but they're really apples and oranges IMO.

I have a Rockwell 6s and love it.Its my best razor.You find a plate that suits your blade and stick with that for the shave.My Fat boy does not shave as close as the 6s for me and sits on the shelf with my other seldom used razors.

My top razor is the 6S Matte Black. Just a really great shave. You can throw any blade in it and it is smooth and efficient.

I also have the Model T which is also a great razor, but just not as nice as the 6S.

My Rex Supply Co. Ambassador is also a great razor. A bit more weight than the Model T, but still doesn't give as good as a shave as the 6S.

My Merkur Progress gives a very nice shave. Again, just not as well built as the two above for dial adjustable razors, and doesn't give as good of a shave as the 6S. Also, you really have to pay attention to blade alignment.

The 6S is just hard to beat. I love all my razors and will fight you if you try to take one. However, the 6S is the top of the heap for me. Yes, it takes longer between passes to adjust, but that time you use to change and flip plates lets the lather work its magic on the whiskers.

Even though I do not have Rockwell 6 I want to comment on this thing as I think blade rigidity is one of the most important things in a razor.

Blade rigidity is not about how hard the two metal pieces squeeze the blade, but how it is clamped. You can even take a hydraulic press and if you only press down on a single point on the blade you can still bend the rest of the blade. Rockwell 6 got two ridges (one on each side) clamping the blade and nothing between those two ridges. I have tried other razors having the same clamping system and it is not the best. Some of the best razors do clamp the blade all the way and you notice it is better clamped because they are more silent when you shave. The loud sound some razors do have is because the blade is not clamped well enough. Blade rigidity is all about how much a blade is able to flex (vibrate) during a shave. The loud sound you hear from some razors is because the blade is vibrating a lot.

Examples of razors that clamp the blade really well: Razorock Mamba and iKon X3. The torqued blade in X3 makes it extra rigid. Both of these razors support the blade all the way from one side to the other.

The only adjustable razors that I have experience with are the Super Adjustable and Slim and I prefer the Super Adjustable, because it's a bit more efficient and the longer and lighter handle helps as well. I had Rockwell 6S but I sold it because even on setting 6 it was just too mild and inefficient even with sharper blades. It's a great razor, but it's not for my type of beard.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
First let me say that I'm not knocking the Rockwell 6 series; they are fantastic razors. Having said that, I don't consider the 6 to be a true "adjustable" razor. It's more like a razor system, where you can pick your razor (i.e. plate), from among 6 choices, for any given day. A true adjustable razor lets you select different settings mid-shave, or mid-pass if you prefer. That's not really a practical option with the 6S. One is not better than the other, but they're really apples and oranges IMO.

Exactly. These are two different things, two different "systems", two different "approaches" to adjustability. I personally have both the Rockwell 6s, and it is a great razor set, and the Gillette Black Beauty and Merkur Progress, and they are also great. It is a matter of personal preference. What suits you more most of the time? I will keep both my Rockwell 6s, and the Black Beauty and the Progress.

Last edited:
First, thank you all for your comprehensive answers! What a joy to be in a community that is so generous with their insights.

This is a fair statement, but approaching it from the stand point of someone seeking a razor that contains within its offering variability and adjustment, I would consider the plate system and dial adjustments to be within the same scope. It's not beyond reason to consider swapping plates between passes as well, which would make it all the more comparable then.

Nevertheless, the eloquence by which @luv2shave described the brilliance of the Rockwell 6 design has settled my assurance that the 6s is a brilliant razor to age gracefully in variability with.

However, as it oft the case on B&B, we seldom every really just settle on one razor. :biggrin:

I must say that I won’t trade my Rockwell 6S for any other razor. I have no need to change settings midshave, and the way the Rockwell keeps the blade clamped, I don’t see how any other razor would make me as happy. I have experienced zero blade chatter, and the weight of the razor keeps me from pressing.

I know that everyone is different, but for me, the Rockwell is the cats pajamas.

+1! Great summary!!

After I figure out ‘my’ setting, then I pretty much leave things alone. The advantage of an adjustable, like the Slim, or a ‘system’, like the Rockwell, is that it offers options to see where one fits on the spectrum. YMMV for sure!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom