What's new

Yates Razor

Yes.
Not sure if the shorter handles will even come standard on his razors.
I know the new top caps will on newer batches.

Do you find the new top cap design make the razor smoother or more mild feeling or there is no difference?

I am more interested in the polished version whixh isnt available readily. I will see if he has them in stock in the future.

Do you find the new top cap design make the razor smoother or more mild feeling or there is no difference?

I am more interested in the polished version whixh isnt available readily. I will see if he has them in stock in the future.
I just received it today.
I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning.
I'll assume that it will shave the same.
I don't think he changed any geometry on it aside from the flatter top.
The new short handle is really heavy though.
The complete razor with the short handle comes in at 120 grams including the blade.
I'll report back tomorrow in regards to how it differs to the original setup.
As for the stonewash finish, I really like it.
It definitely separates itself from the rest of the pack.

I just received it today.
I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning.
I'll assume that it will shave the same.
I don't think he changed any geometry on it aside from the flatter top.
The new short handle is really heavy though.
The complete razor with the short handle comes in at 120 grams including the blade.
I'll report back tomorrow in regards to how it differs to the original setup.
As for the stonewash finish, I really like it.
It definitely separates itself from the rest of the pack.

Thanks i will look forward to your review

After several shaves with the new top cap, for me, it has increased the efficiency slightly without changing any of the smoothness.
CD7451F0-84D9-47D7-9A05-5ED8D4F49E3C.jpeg
1200B8C3-4E4B-4595-B6C4-AF6A3436E947.jpeg

Ok. Tried the new setup.
Honestly, I think the original handle feels better for this razor. It's more nimble with the original longer, thinner handle.
I found the new top cap not all that different from the original, in use.
The slight extra aggression I think is from the extra weight.

I used my Charcoal Goods handle with the new top cap and compared it side by side with the original and found the new top cap to be slightly more efficient but just as smooth.

After several shaves with the new top cap, for me, it has increased the efficiency slightly without changing any of the smoothness.View attachment 1162945View attachment 1162946

The edges of the new cap seem softer in these photos.

My new gear should show up Thursday, and I’m excited to give it a go. The stonewash finish Jake provides is unique in the industry and feels fantastic to me. In my opinion, him and Shane at blackland are the best US razor Manufacturers currently. That assessment is based on razor quality and performance. Customer service is top notch too.

Got mine! Very happy with the new handle and top cap, now I have two of the Yates razors!
Handle and top cap are of a slightly brighter shade of gray. I have not noticed any difference in shaving with the new top cap.
I like the flat top, it has added texture on the sides and a smaller, more sophisticated Yates logo.
The handle is great but noticeably heavier. Would like to have a better knurling on it for the peace of mind while holding it, the original thin handle feels mich more nimble and agile.

IMG_3431.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 46
I personally prefer the long handle for this razor. I typically prefer short handles, 3.25" is usually perfect for most of my mild razors because of the shaving angles. But this razor, I find works best with the original handle.
The new top cap also adds a slight bit more efficiency over the old one.
I personally prefer the original set-up altogether.
I think people unfairly judged the handle without trying the razor first.

proxy.php

So, first shave with my Yates. I loved it. The OC side of the brass baseplate is my favorite. The comb and the finish kind of feel like the Timeless Titanium OC 95. It's noticeably more efficient, and a tinge more aggressive. The weight is much more substantial though. It feels like a heavy tool. As a steep shaver, I LOVE the angle on this. It locks in fairly steep.

This is the old handle and old cap. I would like to try the new stuff for the heck of it, but I can say without a doubt, I'm super happy with this razor and its design. I got mine at West Coast on the 10% off day. Great deal. I highly recommend checking it out.

6C43C2D9-D503-4805-BD9E-07B9C24E8DE1.jpeg

I’ll chime in since I shaved with mine this morning. A wonderful three passes to silky smooth skin, even in a patch I’ve had difficulty with on my neck.

The Original handle does work really well, despite the fact I thought I’d hate the length. It worked perfectly with the razor. But the girth on the new handle is just right. I never feel as though the razor will slip and I think part of that is the stonewash finish. I have no issue holding the razor by just the smooth surfaces on the handle, even when wet.

I've been shaving with OG Yates 921 razor and the Yates frankenrazor (new top cap, hybrid base plate, 3.25" handle) for a while and ultimately decided I enjoy the OG more.

Funny that once I got the OG Yates I immediately started hating on the handle, thinking that a thicker option would be perfect. But turns out the original handle feels much more agile and elegant, and the weight balance is perfect. The 3.25" handle adds more weight that I like.

Closed comb is a general preference on my end for razors, although the OC on hybrid felt nice compared to some other razors.

The new top cap is an overall improvement - I like the flat top and that it's less metal, and the smaller logo feels more sublte and better-looking, but I decided to keep the purity of my OG Yates 921 and have with the original top cap. They shave the same btw, just minor aesthetic differences.

Sold the surplus razor and kept the original. Can't wait to try the H plate, hope I manage to grab one!

I've been shaving with OG Yates 921 razor and the Yates frankenrazor (new top cap, hybrid base plate, 3.25" handle) for a while and ultimately decided I enjoy the OG more.

Funny that once I got the OG Yates I immediately started hating on the handle, thinking that a thicker option would be perfect. But turns out the original handle feels much more agile and elegant, and the weight balance is perfect. The 3.25" handle adds more weight that I like.

Closed comb is a general preference on my end for razors, although the OC on hybrid felt nice compared to some other razors.

The new top cap is an overall improvement - I like the flat top and that it's less metal, and the smaller logo feels more sublte and better-looking, but I decided to keep the purity of my OG Yates 921 and have with the original top cap. They shave the same btw, just minor aesthetic differences.

Sold the surplus razor and kept the original. Can't wait to try the H plate, hope I manage to grab one!
What is an "OG" razor?

Wow, Yates recent update says he has a lot of things on the books for the new year, including Ti and an "extra" efficient plate. I'm sure I'll try more Yates stuff. He hasn't stocked anything in months so it'll be nice to see his basic razor products available. I don't pay much attention to product "drops."

"OG" is just a slang term for "original"; OG actually stands for "Original Gangster", but the slang OG is used for pretty much anything referring to the "original" or old-school, or if referring to a person, someone who is an expert, etc.

So in this context, the original Yates design, vs the newer top cap, base plate, and thick handle.
Thank you! I was confused if it was a typo for OC, but I've never seen an OC Yates, except the hybrid which I have. Now that I know he's doing a new plate in the new year I'm not so sure I'll pick up an H plate when they become available. But they aren't expensive.

Just a heads up @Leverspro and others: Jake has some razors up, H plates and Hybrid plates.

I sold a wolf and Diamondback because this razor is that good. Go get one.

edit: just to expand, I don’t care about shiny. I want a tool that works well for my skin and beard. Good value helps too.

Last edited:
Just a heads up @Leverspro and others: Jake has some razors up, H plates and Hybrid plates.

I sold a wolf and Diamondback because this razor is that good. Go get one.

edit: just to expand, I don’t care about shiny. I want a tool that works well for my skin and beard. Good value helps too.
Yeah, I've got the H plate on the way. Looking forward to it. My understanding of the brass hybrid plate that I have is that it's the same as the M plate (?). It's a good shaver.

Reactions: AQU
Top Bottom