What's new

Stirling Syndicate

You need to try Stirling’s mutton base. Not as many scents but the performance and post shave are superior. Sheep is unscented so you can just pair with any aftershave splash.
I agree, mutton is really good. I got varen which is a decent fougere which performs amazing makes me want to try the other scents at least glastonbury and maybe electric sheep.

You need to try Stirling’s mutton base. Not as many scents but the performance and post shave are superior. Sheep is unscented so you can just pair with any aftershave splash.
That's good to know. I have a sample of the Glastonbury coming. With your description and the scent profile I'm really looking forward to that one.

I pretty much just limit myself to Stirling soaps these days. They offer a lot of varieties and I have or have tested out many of them.

It can be overwhelming to have so many choices but their sample sizes are generous and you can kind of figure out what types of fragrances you like and don't like and can reduce the number of choices that way.

For example I don't care for menthol so I can eliminate all the scents that mention menthol. Even though I like fruity smells in general and with shampoo or conditioner it turns out I don't really care for it in shaving soap so I can eliminate more.

Though sampling I've learned that the powdery scents aren't for me and most of the cologne based scents aren't for me although I do like Sharp Dressed Man.

After applying all those limitations I think I've either bought samples or full sized pucks for most of the rest of their soaps. I currently have 10 full sized containers. I'll just list 6 that I would consider my stand-bys. Christmas Eve, Nag Champa, Ozark Mountain, Sandalwood, Coniferous and Sharp Dressed Man.

If you have some scents that you feel you might not like but you're not sure you can always order that scent as a bath soap. Those are large bars (the scent isn't as strong and you can't shave with them) but something that you don't want to shave with still smells OK as a bath bar and it might turn out that you actually do like it.

I pretty much just limit myself to Stirling soaps these days. They offer a lot of varieties and I have or have tested out many of them.

It can be overwhelming to have so many choices but their sample sizes are generous and you can kind of figure out what types of fragrances you like and don't like and can reduce the number of choices that way.

For example I don't care for menthol so I can eliminate all the scents that mention menthol. Even though I like fruity smells in general and with shampoo or conditioner it turns out I don't really care for it in shaving soap so I can eliminate more.

Though sampling I've learned that the powdery scents aren't for me and most of the cologne based scents aren't for me although I do like Sharp Dressed Man.

After applying all those limitations I think I've either bought samples or full sized pucks for most of the rest of their soaps. I currently have 10 full sized containers. I'll just list 6 that I would consider my stand-bys. Christmas Eve, Nag Champa, Ozark Mountain, Sandalwood, Coniferous and Sharp Dressed Man.

If you have some scents that you feel you might not like but you're not sure you can always order that scent as a bath soap. Those are large bars (the scent isn't as strong and you can't shave with them) but something that you don't want to shave with still smells OK as a bath bar and it might turn out that you actually do like it.

Great feedback. Thank you.

You are very correct in saying the number of scents can be a bit overwhelming. After reading through most of the scent descriptions I could have ordered a lot more than five but I figured I'll take a few baby steps first.

I don't care for Stirling's Bay Rum, but that is because I don't care for bay rum scents in general. The soap works beautifully. Recently I had remnants of two Stirling samples, a Bay Rum and their Noir. I mashed them together and still have enough to use for a little while . . . and the bay rum scent is almost gone.

Woodwzrd, Stirling's marketing technique is usually to include a free sample of something else in their line with your package. It might be one of their soaps or their shampoo bars. That way you get an idea of what that scent is like, and you'll be inclined to try a full-size packet of it on your next order. Brilliant scheme!

Woodwzrd, Stirling's marketing technique is usually to include a free sample of something else in their line with your package. It might be one of their soaps or their shampoo bars. That way you get an idea of what that scent is like, and you'll be inclined to try a full-size packet of it on your next order. Brilliant scheme!

That is rather genius marketing. I only ordered sample pucks so we'll see if I get an additional sample of something.

That is rather genius marketing. I only ordered sample pucks so we'll see if I get an additional sample of something.
I think I've received a freebie each time, even when I ordered the samples of Bay Rum and Noir I mentioned. Of course they could have been freebies from some other order, and I've forgotten. Let us know if you get anything extra.

Stirling has great soaps. Of the ones in your list I’ve only tried the executive man which happens to be my favorite scent of the ones I’ve tried from them. Haverford is a close second

I think I've received a freebie each time, even when I ordered the samples of Bay Rum and Noir I mentioned. Of course they could have been freebies from some other order, and I've forgotten. Let us know if you get anything extra.
I've gotten a little spiff/butt-end slice/sample sized bar with every tub o' shaving soap from Stirling as well. I'm starting to think this is a deliberate, calculated act; one cleverly designed to enamor me of their product line even further. Dastardly!

My last order they gave me a sample of their bay rum body soap. My next order will include the bay rum shave soap as a result. Good marketing plan

I'm becoming quite the Stirling fanboy. I love most of the scents you mentioned. The Stirling Gentleman, Sharp Dressed Man, Hipster, and Christmas Eve scents also make me happy. I got hooked and wanted to try more scents than I could shave, so I got some of their body soap, and shampoo bars, to try out more scents and am now hopelessly lost. Fortunately, I have enough shave soap to last for about a decade, so I am going to continue supporting them in other ways for now.

Don't forget Baker Street, Gin and Tonic On Ice (mentholated), Iced Pineapple (mentholated), Bergamot & Lavender and Glastonbury. Glastonbury is particularly noteworthy as it is all essential oils in the mutton base.

I'm becoming quite the Stirling fanboy. I love most of the scents you mentioned. The Stirling Gentleman, Sharp Dressed Man, Hipster, and Christmas Eve scents also make me happy. I got hooked and wanted to try more scents than I could shave, so I got some of their body soap, and shampoo bars, to try out more scents and am now hopelessly lost. Fortunately, I have enough shave soap to last for about a decade, so I am going to continue supporting them in other ways for now.
The four scents that you listed were all on my list before I narrowed it down to the five I ordered. There are far to many choices on their site. I like the idea of the bar soaps. I might have to go there next time.

More Stirling arrived today. I uh... I'm not sure how this happened *cough*.

Stirling Sheep.jpg

...(Sadly, Does Not Actually Smell Like Sheep)

I already know Stirling makes good shaving soap so it’s a matter of flying blind scent wise when ordering. My solution to this is ordering bars of Stirling bath soap. This way I can spend some time in the shower deciding if I like the scent enough to buy a tub of shave soap or bottle of aftershave...or both.

Top Bottom