What's new

Fine Marvel Razor measured up + first shave report.

I seem to be going through a “Fine” period. :001_rolle

I’ve just celebrated my completed 30 training shaves with the Fine Slant Razor by using my new Fine Marvel for the first time. Here it is:
FM-1.jpg

Although it’s three times heavier than the Fine Aluminum Slant, I didn’t even notice it. For me that’s a very good sign, especially as I’m not usually too keen on heavy razors. BTW, "all metal" means "chrome plated zinc alloy." It looks and feels very nice (to my eye and hand).

HERE’S THE MEASUREMENTS:
1603150128064.png

FM-2.jpg

FM-3.jpg

Assembled and loaded (easy-peasy and very accurate):
FM-4.jpg

End view showing blade (the blade is quite rigid, even with such a large clamp distance):
FM-5.jpg

SO HOW DOES IT PERFORM?
SOTD-FM-Y_2020-10-19.jpg

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Fine Marvel
Blade: Kai (5)
ASL: Cool Lemon

I (mostly) always pay attention while I’m shaving, and particularly with a completely new-to-me razor. I don’t know if it was beginner’s luck but it felt like an old friend that I’d been shaving with forever. I found it easy to shave with and efficient too. Excellent performance.

Unless I’ve just been dreaming, two thumbs up to Mr Fine. :thumbup:

I intend using the Marvel for at least the next six shaves and will post my SOTDs here, noting any further plus or minus points as I go.

Happy shaves all y’all. :biggrin:

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
great review! curious to hear more detail about what it's comparable to in teerms of efficiency, and how it stacks up against the fine slant in efficiency!

Reactions: Cal
I sold mine as I found it to have too much blade feel and it gave uneven shaves. One shave it would be okay, the next it would bite hard. Not for me. YMMV.

I sold mine as I found it to have too much blade feel and it gave uneven shaves. One shave it would be okay, the next it would bite hard. Not for me. YMMV.

Same here.

I hated it! One of the most bitey razors I've ever used!!

I've used mine twice, and it was an exceedingly smooth shave. My entire face was hot afterwards, though. I should revisit it now that I have more shaving under my belt.
That would be great, Todd. More feedback, and pics, are very welcome. :yesnod: Please. :biggrin:

Fine Marvel Razor SOTD
SOTD-FM-G_2020-10-20.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Blade: Kai (6)

Another great shave. :cornut:

It was much the same as yesterday's shave. The only difference I noticed was a tad more blade feel (which I enjoy anyway), but I suspect that was due to people mentioning it more than anything else.

Fine Marvel Razor SOTD
SOTD-FM-B_2020-10-21.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Pure
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (1)

A very nice shave indeed. :biggrin:

I'm having no surprises with the Fine Marvel, it just continues feeling like an old friend (in a shiny new way).

I moved back from Williams Mug Soap to my new favorite, Rasozero Agrumella, again. Williams is fine but its scent is just a tad too sickly for me (same as MWF); its performance is good but it sure ain't as good as Rasozero Agrumella (IMO).

AND... my "trial" Shavemac brush arrived today. I gave it my usual "new brush prep" earlier today and shaved with it this evening. The reason I call it a "trial" brush is because my first ever shaving brush (five years ago now) was a "pure" badger which was scratchy and floppy, a hopeless piece of equipment (which was reflected by the price I paid for it). I thought it would be interesting to check out a "quality" Pure... and must say that I'm not disappointed. I'll give it a few more shaves before a proper appraisal.

Happy shaves guys! :cornut:

Fine Marvel Razor SOTD
SOTD-FM-K_2020-10-21.jpg

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (2)

Another great shave. :biggrin:

The Marvel felt even better today. Although I've liked it from the start I guess my technique with it is improving. It's funny the way these things just seem to happen as if by magic.

I'm enjoying my new Shavemac Pure (second outing). It's quite different to any other brush I've used, but I need a few more shaves with it to be able to describe these differences...

I'm very pleased with these five items of hardware/software.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well Cal looks like you really enjoying your Fine razors, another person who really enjoys that razor is Micheal Freedberg who used it a lot when he did his Shaving videos.(he quite doing videos this year after many years being a shaving Youtube celebrity)
Around the 19 minute mark he gives his quick thoughts on the Marvel.

Well Cal looks like you really enjoying your Fine razors, another person who really enjoys that razor is Micheal Freedberg who used it a lot when he did his Shaving videos.(he quite doing videos this year after many years being a shaving Youtube celebrity)
Around the 19 minute mark he gives his quick thoughts on the Marvel.

That's a very nice example of good shaving technique as well.

Fine Marvel Razor SOTD
SOTD-FM-W_2020-10-25.jpg

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (3)

Another fine shave. :wink2:

The Marvel's doing just fine. :lol1:

Just like the previous shave with the Marvel, the Shavemac Pure felt even better today. I'll attempt to explain how after a few more shaves with it.

This kit is definitely a Fab Five (for me).

Fine Marvel Razor SOTD
SOTD-FM-R_2020-10-26.jpg

Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (4)

And yet another fine shave. :001_smile

I'm loving the Marvel.

In fact, I'm loving the brush, the soap, the blade, and the ASL too.

Top Bottom