What's new

Not a Good Sign

Sporting Clays competition coming up Friday. Figured I should load up on some low brass bird shot 12 gauge. Stop in at the local Wal Mart....yikes. What is normally a bumper crop of shotgun ammunition was....
GONE!!!
I got the last two 100 round boxes of Winchester and one of Estate 12 gauge; left one on the shelf.
This is troublesome......

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Man, everything is troublesome right now. From ammo to the Honey Badger thing (I am concerned). Shotgun ammo is bountiful here right now what with Turkey and Duck season coming up. I promise you the Bayou Meto fanatics won't go without. Having said that AA, STS, and Nitro 27 seem to be slowly disappearing...

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
These are troubling times. I read earlier that AMMO is what folks buy during times of trouble.

The Pandemic is trouble. I asked my stockbroker about buying stock in AMMO , but I heard nothing more from him. I believe I could have made some money at WALL Street.

1FA27B64-097B-4215-9283-68B276500016.jpeg

Unless I miss my guess, this is a Honey Badger. Suppressed .300 Blackout
Ordnance like this is out of my wheelhouse.

nikonNUT

What is the Honey Badger thing? Never heard of it whatever it is.....
It's a tad political so I won't go into great detail other than to say that the "Q" Honey Badger pistol looks ALOT like the "Q" Honey Badger SBR and it has stirred up some stuff regarding braces... Ditto for the Sugar Weasel. WHO CAME UP WITH THESE NAMES?!?
View attachment 1168640
Unless I miss my guess, this is a Honey Badger. Suppressed .300 Blackout
Ordnance like this is out of my wheelhouse.

Yes, sir! That is the Honey Badger SD. I want one bad! Not much more than my un-suppressed Tri-Arc. I should just suppress the Tri-Arc!
BTW... Which is which?

HBP.PNG

HBSBR.PNG

Aside from a nylon strap they are pretty hard to tell apart... I can see trouble brewing :(

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My local Walmart had shelves full of Federal 4 packs for $19.56 for most of August and September. Under 5 bucks a box was a good price It finally went away. Now all the promo ammo they carry has gone up in price and is $5.50 or more a box.

I went to 3 Walmart's yesterday looking for some .30-.30. All any of the 3 had was empty shelves and a few boxes of .350 Legend. What I thought was weird, is the usually stocked camping aisle was barren of most stuff also. I remember not too long back, there was always stocked shelves of Coleman Camp stove fuel for $7 a can. Now the price on the shelf is almost $15 a can and the shelf was still completely empty.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I went to 3 Walmart's yesterday looking for some .30-.30. All any of the 3 had was empty shelves and a few boxes of .350 Legend. What I thought was weird, is the usually stocked camping aisle was barren of most stuff also. I remember not too long back, there was always stocked shelves of Coleman Camp stove fuel for $7 a can. Now the price on the shelf is almost $15 a can and the shelf was still completely empty.

The Apokolips is upon us.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Our wallyworld has 30-30, 308, 350 Legend - since nobody has ever seen one - various 22 centerfires. But not a lot of boxes. 12 gauge, only birdshot and not much.

Did I mention I cast the excellent Lee 12gauge slug? Gave a bunch to a Navy master-at-arms and he really enjoyed blasting stuff with them.

AA

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Around here, the big boxes - Wally World, Dick’s, etc - have plenty of target and bird loads. Buckshot, not so much. Or any. At all. Fortunately, I found a hole in the wall bait and ammo shop that has plenty.

Just saw that the ATF put a 60 or 90 day stay on the Honeybadger thing. They need more time to figure it out I guess.

Maybe some desk jockey realized that they aren’t the only ones offering a “pistol” with a stabilizing brace. I would think that there would be literally millions of us that would be out of compliance if they move forward.

Still have reasonable supplies up here in Canada but prices are already rising and once the current stocks are gone it will get grim as we will get shorted in order to meet the demands of the much larger U.S. market, meaning the scraps that do make it to us will be at a ridiculous price.

I went ahead and bought 30lbs of powder and a few thousand bullets and primers not long ago because the writing is on the wall and I don't want to pay hugely inflated costs for my reloading components which will only be made worse by our floundering Canadian dollar.

nikonNUT

Just saw that the ATF put a 60 or 90 day stay on the Honeybadger thing. They need more time to figure it out I guess.

Maybe some desk jockey realized that they aren’t the only ones offering a “pistol” with a stabilizing brace. I would think that there would be literally millions of us that would be out of compliance if they move forward.

It was a 60 day suspension of the Cease and Decist. Without getting to deep in the weeds a few things happened...
1) A field agent made the decision instead of the weapon being submitted ATF's Firearms Technology Branch.
2) Said agent measured OAL at the hypotenuse from the bottom of the brace to the end of the muzzle brake instead of perpendicular to the bore as defined.
3) ... and I will tread lightly here but someones son is a HUGE fan of all things "Q". Might or might not have had a bearing. IDK???

Still have reasonable supplies up here in Canada but prices are already rising and once the current stocks are gone it will get grim as we will get shorted in order to meet the demands of the much larger U.S. market, meaning the scraps that do make it to us will be at a ridiculous price.

I went ahead and bought 30lbs of powder and a few thousand bullets and primers not long ago because the writing is on the wall and I don't want to pay hugely inflated costs for my reloading components which will only be made worse by our floundering Canadian dollar.

I feel you! I bought enough "stuff" to burn out the barrel on my .338LM aka 3K+ rounds. If there is another "slump" I will load up on primers, powder, bullets, and loaded ammo!!!

Last edited:
It was a 60 day suspension of the Cease and Decist. Without getting to deep in the weeds a few things happened...
1) A field agent made the decision instead of the weapon being submitted ATF's Firearms Technology Branch.
2) Said agent measured OAL at the hypotenuse from the bottom of the brace to the end of the muzzle brake instead of perpendicular to the bore as defined.
3) ... and I will tread lightly here but someones son is a HUGE fan of all things "Q". Might or might not have had a bearing. IDK???

I feel you! I bought enough "stuff" to burn out the barrel on my .338LM aka 3K+ rounds. If there is another "slump" I will load up on primers, powder, bullets, and loaded ammo!!!
Haha, I bet you'd go through powder quick reloading for that cartridge, looks like it requires a similar amount(quick look on the Hodgdon reloading data center has it in the high 70 to mid 80 grain charge weights?)shooting 265gr bullets as my 375 Ruger does shooting 270gr ones.....hungry little piglets but worth it for the smile they put on your face.

Every time I wince at the reloading costs for the Ruger I just remind myself what factory ammo costs and immediately feel much better about things, haha, sure wish firearms were as inexpensive and readily available up here as they are for you all in the U.S.

nikonNUT

Haha, I bet you'd go through powder quick reloading for that cartridge, looks like it requires a similar amount(quick look on the Hodgdon reloading data center has it in the high 70 to mid 80 grain charge weights?)shooting 265gr bullets as my 375 Ruger does shooting 270gr ones.....hungry little piglets but worth it for the smile they put on your face.

Every time I wince at the reloading costs for the Ruger I just remind myself what factory ammo costs and immediately feel much better about things, haha, sure wish firearms were as inexpensive and readily available up here as they are for you all in the U.S.
I could play in the 80gr range IF I find Retumbo or H-1000 (Really wanna try US869 but I fear it is too slow). As it is, using Ramshot LRT (I grabbed 40 pounds before things got weird!) the 250gr Sierras start at 97.3 and max out at 108.0grs while the 300gr pills start at 90.9 and top out at 100grs. I have pushed to 101.5grs but the brass gives up the ghost aka the primers start falling out in about 3 reloads... Getting a 300gr bullet running 3000FPS (and just shy of 6000 ft/lbs) is quite a hoot though! Knock your teeth out recoil impulse but the toothless smile is indeed worth it! :lol:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Shooting with no way to replenish ammo gets boring quickly.
Amen.

I did well to buy when I could, and I KNEW at the time it wasn't enough, but I'm okay all things considered.

But as I always tell my wife when she asks "how many guns do you NEED anyway?!?"

"JUST ONE MORE!" lol, and I haven't bought anything in about 5 years, so I should have stored up SOME goodwill with her!

Top Bottom