What's new

How to make a bottle last ?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
:lol: I was making a joke in itself. Making a bottle of alcohol last.....

What kind of alcohol are you wanting to last? Tips and tricks will depend on the spirit.

The tried and true method that I've swore by for years is...simply not to drink it!
This is more easily accomplished if you plan in advance, and buy a bottle of something that you don't like.
The more distasteful the spirits are to you...the longer the bottle will last!
And don't offer it to others. That's a rookie mistake!
If you don't chill the stuff or keep mixers on hand, the bottle may well last indefinitely.
Finally, the most fool-proof method is to hide it somewhere that you cannot find it and eventually you will forget that you even have it!

I don’t know what kind of “Bottle” you speak of? Wine? Booze?

I like to buy a quality single malt scotch from time to time. I put it away for a special occasion. To keep myself from the special occasion bottle, I drink a more affordable whisky most of the time. I’m happy with a basic whisky. Yet to have a top shelf brand when a situation is special. That’s cool with me.

1. Don't drink it
2. Start with a glass of it, then follow up with a less expensive or rare glass of the same kind of liquor
3. Do the above and when you feel it hitting you, 1 or more glasses, then switch

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
By "last," do you mean to maintain the quality of the liquor or maintain the quantity?

If the former, the easiest thing to do is keep the bottle cool (not cold) and dark. You also can move the contents to a smaller bottle to minimize oxygen exposure. You can get into more complex, more expensive measures such as flushing the bottle with CO2 or nitrogen, but that's probably not worth the trouble and expense.

If the latter, about all you can do is not drink it and not let others drink it. Those are not what's good in life, unless that bottle is going so quickly that you're harming yourself.

Is this an empty bottle? Don't drop it. Should last a long time.
And back to reality....we need a bit more details to answer your question. One thing that seems universal is to keep it out of direct sunlight.

Assuming that you mean last longer, the only sure way I've found to make a bottle last longer is to leave it at the liquor store. Nothing else seems to work for me.

Refill it from time to time with cheaper hooch. If anyone asks, just tell them what Herb Tarlek told Venus Flytrap . . .

tell them you're aging it.

The only way to preserve it is to carefully pour it into smaller and smaller bottle to limit oxidation. Of course this slightly oxidizes the hooch, so...

Not opening the bottle does help make it last. Some amusing responses up there! My question is: Why would you want to make it last?

You can always do like when you were a teenager and into your dad's stash. Pour off some in a different bottle and top off dad's bottle with water. :devil:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have slowed my consumption slightly by making cocktails more the size that was prevalent before the onslaught of double rocks glasses and giant cone martini glasses, back in the '40s and '50s. It took a bit of searching, but I found single rocks glasses and a four ounce Nick and Noras. I mix the drinks using the one ounce end of the jigger rather than the 1.5. Sure, there are (plenty of) times when I just make more, but there is a growing number of times when the smaller cocktails are just fine. It also alleviates the after dinner zonk.

Another way to preserve a bottle is to use an ancient trick. Glass beads can be dropped into a bottle to offset airspace. Make sure to sanitize them first!

Top Bottom