What's new

GD Jnat/1u Film shootout

So I picked up this Wakasa from Keith and it is amazing. I've been slowly taking some of my less than stellar edges to it and I haven't yet been disappointed with the result. Keenest and smoothest edges I've ever gotten from a stone and it isn't even close.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I decided this morning I would do a split shave with my 2017 GD Comp entry finished on this Wakasa vs. my 2020 GD Comp entry finished on 1u film.
proxy.php

I wasn't sure what to expect because the 2020 GD felt pretty darn good last time I shaved with it.

2017 Jnat edge up first on the right side. Felt just like the last several shaves of the Wakasa have felt. Super keen and so smooth.

2020 1u film up for the left. First swipe felt similar, then a little tuggy compared to the jnat on the cheek. Maybe smoother on the mustache area than the jnat blade but that could be becasue the lather had a couple more minutes to soften those whiskers.

Pass one goes to the jnat blade. The tug at the mustache from jnat was less than the tug on the cheek from 1u film.

ATG/XTG combo pass 2 was similar between the 2, but the slight edge still goes to the jnat finish. ATG on neck/jaw was effortless and as smooth as silk.

Total shave was near BBS everywhere and zero perceptible AS sting from either blade. However, the comfort during the shave goes to the jnat hands down.

I may have to hit the 2020 GD with the wakasa and do another side by side.

I had a suspicion after my first shave with a blade off the the Wakasa that it was indeed keener and smoother than not only every other stone I've used but also film, so I had to test it to see how they compared.

I'm thrilled to have a stone now that, without any tricks or mysteries to figure out, gives up edges consistently better than any other medium I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I suppose this is my first "good" natural edge then hahaha, I have had "decent" edges from a coti I have but nothing like this at all. I just can't get an edge from my black or trans ark either. This Wakasa is a unicorn for me right now!!!

I suppose this is my first "good" natural edge then hahaha, I have had "decent" edges from a coti I have but nothing like this at all. I just can't get an edge from my black or trans ark either. This Wakasa is a unicorn for me right now!!!

Stay there then! Theres so many ways to hone and so many different types of each variety. Sounds like you hit a home run!

I decided to take the 2020 GD to the Wakasa and do another side by side shave. The 2020 blade definitely didn't quite feel like the 2017 blade. I went back to the stone and did a solo shave with the 2020. May have been even worse honestly. The FOFT had not been as good as with the other blades so far. However, it was probably still as good as a decent coticule edge of mine.

I just went back tonight with a little bit thicker slurry, a couple of dilutions, and finishing on a light mist. It seems like the FOFT closer to where it has been with the other blades so another test shave will be in order.
proxy.php

Much better edge this morning, however, after getting some irritation from the less than perfect edge yesterday it was nearly impossible not to have some slight AS burn again today.

for me my naturals jnats, arks bests the 1u in comfort 100% of the time!!
judging on sharpness alone that is another story.

sounds like that wakasa is a winner!!!

I decided to move on from the 2 GD blades and get back to my regular rotation. Next up was a Larkin which was my first ever ebay clean up and new scales project. It was honed on the only coticule I've ever gotten good edges off of, a #8 bout, from TSS.
proxy.php

After the first swipe I was like, uh oh, this may be nicer than the 2020 GD off the jnat. I quickly grabbed the GD and stropped it up to do a side by side shave.

Honestly they were very similar so maybe I just need a few more plain water laps on the GD, or maybe the coti edge was just really good. Post shave they were dead even in closeness, smoothness, and lack of irritation. During the shave though I would still give the edge in comfort to the GD over the Larkin by a hair(puns galore).

I may have to continue some other tests here.

Now I'm wondering how it'd feel if you took it onto some 0.5, 0.3, or 0.1u lapping film . . .
I have .3u film and never felt like I got much of anything from it honestly.

While keen and comfortable on their own, my film edges don't have the level of comfort I'm getting from the jnat...it's a weird level of comfortable that I couldn't have guessed was a thing had I not experienced it.

Took the 2020GD back to the Wakasa for just enough plain water laps to get some stiction...maybe 15laps or so.
FOFT seemed a bit stronger...more silent. Another side by side shave will ensue tomorrow, the 3 days of growth should be a good test after having not shaved since Friday.
proxy.php

Now I'm wondering how it'd feel if you took it onto some 0.5, 0.3, or 0.1u lapping film . . .

had some .3u film did not like the edge or my razors did not like the film. 1u with naked leather is a great finish again honing skill and stropping skil make a big difference. following 1u with diamond pasted balsa (aka the method) is another question. i don't suggest buying any film below 1u. still prefer Jnat!!! there is a period of learning for every new stone.... so don't think you maxed your stone out .....yet

Last edited:
had some .3u film did not like the edge or my razors did not like the film. 1u with naked leather is a great finish again honing skill and stropping skil make a big difference. following 1u with diamond pasted balsa (aka the method) is another question. i don't suggest buying any film below 1u. still prefer Jnat!!!
That is pretty much my setup as of now after the 8k i go to a Hard Ark w/slurry to clear water, then 1um, then clean linen for only 20 passes and then clean leather for 60 passes and it suits my beard type and skin very well.

I finally broke down and ordered a Jnat Nakayama ,Sho Honyama w/ tomo and shiro nagura. My goal is to eventually hand off all my synthetics except the 1K but seriously thinking about dumping that if i can get a nice good size Washita for a descent price. I also jumped on the Miniog slate from the UK ,figured for the price i couldn't go wrong for what all they're claiming it can do. Keeping my fingers crossed one of the two will work as a replacement for the syns and lapping film.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have .3u film and never felt like I got much of anything from it honestly.

While keen and comfortable on their own, my film edges don't have the level of comfort I'm getting from the jnat...it's a weird level of comfortable that I couldn't have guessed was a thing had I not experienced it.

I agree with you on the 0.3um film. I got a more comfortable shave off 1.0um film than I did off 0.3um. It's not just about sharpness. I think it also has a lot to do with the scratch pattern on the bevel that also translates to the edge.

Just because 0.3um film doesn't work is not a valid reason for not trying diamond pasted balsa strops. In order of shave comfort (worst to best), I found:

0.25um balsa
0.3um film
0.5um balsa
1.0um film
0.1um balsa

Just because 0.3um film doesn't work is not a valid reason for not trying diamond pasted balsa strops.

I'm not sure if this was directed specifically at me, but I don't believe I used my .3u film experience to validate not trying diamond balsa strops or stated anything of the sort. I haven't tried diamond balsa because I don't have any desire to. I'd rather play with rocks than balsa...it has nothing to do with whether I think it would be a better or worse edge than what I currently shave with. Will that change at some point? I have no idea. For now, I'm done buying honing materials...until I'm not...then I may pick up something else that tickles my fancy lol

My test shave yesterday with the Larkin and 2020GD was a fantastic shave. The only thing that was less than stellar was the Larkin pulled a little bit on the cheek near the corner of the mouth on the N-S WTG pass at the heel of the blade. May just be an issue where the heel needs some attention and not the finish itself. Both blades were comfortable...still a slight edge in comfort to the GD, no tugging anywhere, and the GD itself has had some issues with the heel not being up to snuff before I took it to the Wakasa. Those issues seem to be resolved entirely.
Near BBS everywhere and zero AS sting from either blade. I'm almost certain the Larkin came off of the coticule...but my memory could be failing...it could be off the 1u film.

This morning I moved on to the next blade in my rotation. Another GD from years ago. Not a great shave...edge was marginal at best. I intentionally didn't try to get all that close of a shave because I knew if I did I'd have some significant irritation. It will be getting acquainted with the Wakasa tonight. With a possible test shave against the next razor in the rotation.

Reactions: CCR
No side by side test, just a test shave of the same GD from yesterday after hitting the Wakasa. A healthy slurry with a couple dilutions with a misty finish. The FOFT was looking good.

After stropping(20 linen-60 leather) the FOFT seemed worse. The last couple of razors seemed worse after stropping...like I would be hesitant to expect a good shave at all with that FOFT.

Yet, the shave was fantastic...again. I think I should have finished on plain water like I had on the other blades. I know a lot of guys like finishing on a misty slurry but I think I'm getting a better edge with 15-30 water only to finish up. It looks like I am continuing to get repeatable results. I'm still not sure why the FOFT has been suspect while still providing a very keen and smooth edge, but I'll take it.

proxy.php

Top Bottom