What's new

Gillette Tech 1962 USA H2 Ball End

Every time I use this razor I’m noticing that my cheeks are very tender, sensitive, red and hot. Albeit super BBS. I do my normal 3 pass shave wtg, xtg, atg, not sure what I am doing wrong. 🤷‍♂️ I’m sore it’s my technique, any suggestions?

Thank you kindly for your time and advice!

A have quite a few razors in my rotation. They are all different and some give me irritation and some don't. I was rotating so often that I couldn't adapt first to all the different razors. Then with time I learned something. No matter what razor I use, very little to no pressure needs to by applied. I know, everyone knows it and I knew it. But I guess unconsciously, I was applying more pressure on my face with the less aggressive razors. I am not sure if this is what is happening to you, maybe applying too much pressure.

Now I get perfect BBS with every razor. The only difference is that with aggressive ones I just need the usual 3 pases and with less aggressive ones I need to perform buffering at the end. If I apply pressure , I get irritation, by buffering I can do it for a while, very, very gently until I get BBS. I fact I can do buffering for minutes and I don't get irritation at all.

I am don't know if you are applying pressure, but if you are, just try to apply less pressure, it might take a little longer, but you might get your BBS with no irritation at all.

I hope this helps.

Might be your choice of blade in it. Some blades are great in certain razors. Others not so much. What blade are you using in it?
BTW My favorite Tech is from the same year as yours! It’s actually my all time favorite razor.

Might be your choice of blade in it. Some blades are great in certain razors. Others not so much. What blade are you using in it?
BTW My favorite Tech is from the same year as yours! It’s actually my all time favorite razor.
Last used a Personna Platinum, which is one of my favorite blades, I’ve also used a Gillette Platinum another one of my favorites.

A have quite a few razors in my rotation. They are all different and some give me irritation and some don't. I was rotating so often that I couldn't adapt first to all the different razors. Then with time I learned something. No matter what razor I use, very little to no pressure needs to by applied. I know, everyone knows it and I knew it. But I guess unconsciously, I was applying more pressure on my face with the less aggressive razors. I am not sure if this is what is happening to you, maybe applying too much pressure.

Now I get perfect BBS with every razor. The only difference is that with aggressive ones I just need the usual 3 pases and with less aggressive ones I need to perform buffering at the end. If I apply pressure , I get irritation, by buffering I can do it for a while, very, very gently until I get BBS. I fact I can do buffering for minutes and I don't get irritation at all.

I am don't know if you are applying pressure, but if you are, just try to apply less pressure, it might take a little longer, but you might get your BBS with no irritation at all.

I hope this helps.
I will have to pay more attention to that! I’m thinking most of the irritation came with my last atg pass. I may have been trying too hard which caused the irritation. Thank you for the help!

My post-WW2 Tech is a 1962 ball end like yours. Some other razors are prettier, better balanced and more precisely made. But, once I got used to it, this little guy has given me shaves that are consistently within a whisper of the very best.

So I echo the advice to use your Tech a few more times and to be gentle with yourself. Also, be sure your soap is wet enough to be really slippery, and experiment with the angle of the head to your face.

My post-WW2 Tech is a 1962 ball end like yours. Some other razors are prettier, better balanced and more precisely made. But, once I got used to it, this little guy has given me shaves that are consistently within a whisper of the very best.

So I echo the advice to use your Tech a few more times and to be gentle with yourself. Also, be sure your soap is wet enough to be really slippery, and experiment with the angle of the head to your face.
Much appreciated thank you!

I’m wondering if the handle I’m using could be a factor in the irritation? I don’t like the thin ball end handle so I use a WCS 77S instead. I’m considering putting the tech up for trade for a fat handle pre war variety. 🤷‍♂️ I dunno still kicking the idea around.

Not only your soap but your water. If you live in a hard water area, treating your shave water with something to soften it can help. Various people here have recommended some treatments that I can't find in the stores, so I've been mixing plain ol' baking soda with the water. I dunno if it softens the liquid, but it does seem more slippery on my hands and (I presume) on my face.

The Tech is a very mild razor, many of us have found. A light touch as you shave is probably the answer.

I’m wondering if the handle I’m using could be a factor in the irritation? I don’t like the thin ball end handle so I use a WCS 77S instead. I’m considering putting the tech up for trade for a fat handle pre war variety. 🤷‍♂️ I dunno still kicking the idea around.

A pre-WW2 Tech is quite different from your 1962 Tech. The biggest difference in the shaving experience results from differences in the baseplates. Each has its charms.

So, if, after you’ve gotten used to the skinny ball-end handle, you still find it uncomfortable, get yourself a not-too-heavy, fatter handle to try. But keep and use your 1962 Tech razor head.

Top Bottom