What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. Continuing yesterday’s Proraso theme this morning.

I still have a few days until OCtober, so I decided to use a carbon steel blade in my Tech and see if I can make it last for the rest of the month. I’ll be taking it out, drying it, using mineral oil, and if I need to I’ll use the glass trick to see if it puts life back into it

Something I’ve always wanted to try.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
What a shave! Shark SS in the Super Speed. Chubby 1 in Best made amazing lather from the Cella. Floid Vigoroso to finish.

One of the drawbacks to having a large number of top notch badger brushes is that a brush can slip to the back and go unused for a long time. I can't remember the last time I reached for the Chubby 1 in Best, but it won't end up in the back row again anytime soon. What a beautiful knot. @BigJ always points out that some specimens of Simpsons Best are as good as their Super. I wholeheartedly agree, and I'll go him one further- because Best is a thicker hair than Super, a top notch Best specimen is even better than a Super, because it will have more backbone. The drawback is that you don't know if your Best is like that until you use it. I have a Duke 3, Chubby 1 and 2, a Classic 1, an Astor, and even an M7 in Best. I like them all, but of the 6 only 2 or 3 are on the same level as a Super.

All this fun without spending a cent. I'm still in!

What a shave! Shark SS in the Super Speed. Chubby 1 in Best made amazing lather from the Cella. Floid Vigoroso to finish.

One of the drawbacks to having a large number of top notch badger brushes is that a brush can slip to the back and go unused for a long time. I can't remember the last time I reached for the Chubby 1 in Best, but it won't end up in the back row again anytime soon. What a beautiful knot. @BigJ always points out that some specimens of Simpsons Best are as good as their Super. I wholeheartedly agree, and I'll go him one further- because Best is a thicker hair than Super, a top notch Best specimen is even better than a Super, because it will have more backbone. The drawback is that you don't know if your Best is like that until you use it. I have a Duke 3, Chubby 1 and 2, a Classic 1, an Astor, and even an M7 in Best. I like them all, but of the 6 only 2 or 3 are on the same level as a Super.

All this fun without spending a cent. I'm still in!

Congratulations!! :a29:

Great minds think alike!!

2B927482-EA94-41E2-8CB3-24D63393CA5E.png

But at least I went out in a blaze of glory! 🤬

I made the critical rookie mistake of adding a bunch of shaving stuff to my Amazon wish list. My amazing wife thought she would be nice and surprise me with a bunch of my wish list items.

We aren’t talking a thing or two here... she ordered me 200 Personna Israeli, 100 Sputnik, 100 Big Ben and 100 Lord Cool blades.

She didn‘t stop there. She also ordered me a nice Semogue Pharos horsehair brush and a tub of Proraso White. I’m suprised she didn’t order the Simpson’s Duke or a Colonial as well.

I was going to cancel the brush, but most of the other stuff is already here. I’m too far gone, so I’m bowing out. I do like my new shinys.

Oh well. I can now order the SW Gravefruit soap and splash I have been looking forward to being released on the 29th, add a few other odds and ends and hopefully be back here October 1st. 👍

Stay strong all!

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, Nuage oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #8, GC.68, Boots #8
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Easy and uneventful DFS. Arko beats foam for a comfortable ATG and tidy-up.

Made a bigger hole in the middle of the puck. Only an ounce left now, including the thin plastic tub.

I dropped my phone on the ground 😂 so my restrain will continue throughout October, November and December, just to fund new phone 😂 it is still working, but I can't bring myself to look at the display that is broken into pieces.
Still in.
Sorry to hear about your phone. I’m still kind of amazed how absolutely indispensable they’ve become. At least a continued GRUME will assist with the new one!

Still in. Another month is almost over.

I was torn during the last few days. On the one hand I had missed the Fat, on the other hand Tabac is also a favorite of mine and I wanted to participate in Tabactober. Today I decided to test the waters for October and was rewarded with a great shave, using my New SC loaded with a fresh Personna Lab Blue and Tabac. My puck of MWF (Fat puck?) will have to wait a little longer...

Happy shaves everyone! :)

View attachment 1160521

But at least I went out in a blaze of glory! 🤬

I made the critical rookie mistake of adding a bunch of shaving stuff to my Amazon wish list. My amazing wife thought she would be nice and surprise me with a bunch of my wish list items.

We aren’t talking a thing or two here... she ordered me 200 Personna Israeli, 100 Sputnik, 100 Big Ben and 100 Lord Cool blades.

She didn‘t stop there. She also ordered me a nice Semogue Pharos horsehair brush and a tub of Proraso White. I’m suprised she didn’t order the Simpson’s Duke or a Colonial as well.

I was going to cancel the brush, but most of the other stuff is already here. I’m too far gone, so I’m bowing out. I do like my new shinys.

Oh well. I can now order the SW Gravefruit soap and splash I have been looking forward to being released on the 29th, add a few other odds and ends and hopefully be back here October 1st. 👍

Stay strong all!

Wow! That's a really sweet gesture - sorry it knocked you out. As usual, feel free to play along at home and we'll hope to see you next month.

1) @FoolishMortal
2) JWCowboy - out (9/10: Artisan Brush)
3) @Timeclo
4) @ajduplessis
5) @RTM
6) @Kyle89
7) @cryhavoc
8) @Schnitzel52
9) @Sotiris_A
10) @SillyPancake
11) BigD - out (9/8: Christmas Present?)
12) @RookieGuy
13) @Stuart Ganis
14) @Owen Bawn
15) @4and20blackbirds
16) @Dezryder
17) @Chef455
18) @mattps1
19) @pbrmhl
20) Wgg2017 - out (9/7: PIFs)
21) @Ravenonrock
22) SharpieB - out (9/26: Everything on Amazon)
23) Vaporstang - out (9/5: Shaving Mug)
24) ‘Bout Time - out (9/21: Stirling stuff)
25) @Roedeer

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have this Simpson Chubby 1 in Manchurian that I just can't warm to. I know Manchurians take some breaking in, but I've used this one about 10 times and it still feels off. I have 5 Simpson Manchurians despite the fact that I'm somewhat ambivalent about the grade of hair. Insane that I keep buying them. After all, it was a LE M6 Manchurian that knocked me out of the GRUME in August. A restraint gives me time to reflect on these things, and I'd say I've bought my last Manchurian. They are top notch, quality brushes but they just aren't for me. A man not afflicted with disordered attachments would have realized this after his first Manchurian purchase. I get to look at a row of them on the shelf mocking me.

So tonight I used the Chubby 1 Manchurian, the Super Speed loaded with a Shark, Cella, and Razorock American Barber after shave. That's one helluva splash. I like it better than the Fine American Blend and it's about half the price.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I'm still in the restraint, and I'm signing up for October GRUME as well. I also just signed up to do the OCtober Open Comb razor thing. Give the Super Speed a month off.

Top Bottom