What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Daily Shave: 27 September 2020

DSCF2266.JPG

Prep: Dial Liquid Soap face wash
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Soap: Viking Clary Sage Scent, using rain water
Brush: Viking Badger
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Black Blade #3 / Shave #1.
Passes: 2 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Rating: 8.5 DFS A good break-in shave with a new blade. Some stubble and a few weepers. Another ‘veg’ day is on the agenda.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Slantember 27th, 2020

Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR brushless shave soap Bay Rum scent
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Tallow No. 1
Brush: West Coast Shaving Honeycomb Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Parker Semi-Slant w/ Blackland Dart handle
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Black Ship Grooming Captain Scurvy splash

Very close shave from the Parker Semi-Slant razor. Based upon this morning's shave, I think the Med Prep blade is a good match for that razor. Goodfellows' Smile Tallow No. 1 has an odd scent to it...hard to describe...some sweetness with a mild muskiness? But it lathered well, easily, and provided ample slickness and glide. No blood. Squiggy and Bloop were gone for so long...but when they returned they brought back this fellow. We've named him Ogie. He only whispers on occasion when it's dark...AHHHHH! What's that shadow over there? The window! The window!

Happy shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20200927.jpg

Last edited:
Slantember shave #25
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Pre-Shave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Proraso Red Shaving soap in a bowl
Aftershave: Dickinson’s Witch Hazel Astringent + Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.5
Smoothness: 4.5

Rating: 9.5/10

Blade is dulling out. Too much buffing.
Otherwise, pleasant shave. Just not as close or as smooth as I would like. Shave on!!!

Thiers-Issard
D.R. Harris Arlington
Simpson 46b Berkeley
Miller Strop
Ark finish
Thayers
Clubman
20200927_092527.jpg

had fun playing with shaving cream on the Ark this morn. Remarkably close shave this fine Sunday morn. 4 more days until I switch to a lot of evening shaves.

be well all.

camo

Razor: Gillette New (LC)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Simpsons Fifty-Seven
Lather: Speick
Result: 10/10

Having had such a great shave with the Berkeley, and prowling the forum for other ideas, I got a Simpsons Fifty-Seven in Best. @BigJ loves this brush, and always mentions it, and since it matched my criteria for size (kinda sorta) I said what the heck and bought one. It's a little bigger than I thought it would be, but it holds water like no ones business and makes lather like a machine, having only face-lathered the first time this morning after doing an @ambrose on it. The Berkeley makes the lather quicker, but doesn't hold the exact amount of water required without having to keep adding it.

My Speick lather was the best it's ever been. It was slick, light, creamy and protective. I didn't feel the blade, even on my toughest areas. The blade just sailed right through 3 days of growth and I had a SAS after one pass. I naturally used the abundant leftover cream for pass two and it was just as good as the first. No minor tingling or sensitivity whatsoever. The badgers either make better lather than synthetics or the scrubby action lacking from the synthetics is doing something, I don't know what, and don't really care honestly. I have been taking the extra step of taking the razor apart after each shave and cleaning it (while the blade dries) and like the ritual aspect, in additional to having a razor with no film on it prior to shaving the next time. The brass is still looking good, we'll see how long it takes to start tarnishing.

Most excellent of shave days!

View attachment 1160558

Good man!! The 57 is indeed a favorite around here! :a29:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
A Sunday morning change up of sorts...begun as usual with a splash of hot water, but instead of the usual TOBS sandalwood soap I grabbed a tin of Pre de Provence and worked up a lather with the Kent BK4. It much more quickly and bountifully than the TOBS. Three passes with a Crystal on day 5 in an EJ DE89. Hot shower. Splashed on Guerlain Vetiver EDT as an aftershave rather than the usual 4711 cologne. Perfection in a shave, comfortable and very smooth.

10/10.

IMG_20200923_112055-01.jpeg

I had an excellent SE shave with the Hawk (to which I'm still familarising mysef) and especially with my first time with an Ariana & Evans soap, the Peach & Cognac. The artwork on the label deserves a special mention, it's lovely. There's also a resemblance to Michelle Pfeiffer, which is a bonus...

Razor: Razorock Hawk v3 SE
Blade: Feather Professional AC (4)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic
Pre-shave: PAA Cube
Post-shave: Humphreys Melon & Cucumber
Bowl: Captain's Choice copper bowl

A&E are to be congratulated on producing a brilliant soap. The peach is the stronger of the scents but it remains after the shave, so I actually had no need for the Humphreys. It's a very fresh, sweet scent but not cloying. I scooped a blob out into the shave bowl, as it's soft enough to whip up into a glossy, glistening lather. It likes a drink and was so slick. Superb.

PreShave - Proraso Red
Brush - Omega Boar
Soap - Stirling Hipster (2nd time, this scent is awesome and I am far from a hipster)
Blade - Personna Red (5)
Razor - gillette black handle SS

Again, this scent is not obnoxious or any of the like. I used the soap, splash and edt. It was perfect for a pre church shave. The last couple shaves I feel like I could do a clean up after my 2nd pass and end up with BBS or close to it. I may try tomorrow if the face feels smooth enough after the 2nd pass.

9.2/10

KM

PXL_20200927_122516767.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Injector shave, Sept 27th 2020

Razor: PAL injecto matic - Mfg 1952> nice milder razor that can bite when getting a little careless.
Blade: Personna SS PPTFE(6) excellent sharp blade.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- Great scent with excellent lather qualities :001_wub:
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24 mm synthetic- great brush for lathering with soft tips.
Pre shave: wash my face CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of Aloe Vera gel.
Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender + a dollop of Nivea Balm.
Results: 8.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + some irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17:good shave with my Pal injecto-matic( I rushed and got careless today)

Sunday (injector) Shave.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Razor: Autostrop Valet VC1 (1922-1929?)
Blade: Feather FHS-10 SE (1st)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Sapinificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Ariana & Evans - Barbiere Sofisticato

Additional Care:
Innisfree No-Sebum Face Powder
E493BA38-F0BA-4F50-A9B3-90BBE75BE9E7.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Razor Rerun/ Blade Showdown
No, not really a showdown, just my personal post shave thoughts. You don’t often see me perform two shaves in a row with the same razor. I have had various wonderful shaves with many other models of Autostrops which only accommodate the Feather FHS-10 blade. This early model (VC1) can also accommodate a modified GEM (Personna) blade. After my last shave, I realized I have only used the GEM blades in either of my VC1s, because they will accept them. I was going through old Autostrop threads, they all seem to be from around 2016-2017, and there seemed to be a universal distain on the use of Feather blades in their VC1 Valets. I had to try for myself.

My shave with this same razor two days ago with a modified Personna PTFE blade (2nd use) was a satisfying excellent shave with no events or post shave discomfort. Today’s shave with a 1st use feather was equally satisfying and lacking in any kind of discomfort. I did notice that the Feather seemed to shave me closer under the jaw and on my neck faster with less passes than the Personna.

I know the Personna blades stay sharp for many shaves and I can’t give you any info on the longevity of Feather blades, but initially I found either to give my a fine smooth shave.

It’s up to you to explore and make up your own mind. Your face is the only one of its kind! (unless you have an identical twin)

Live Safe, Shave Safe!

Razor: Schick E2 Injector Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson's Duke 3 Sapphire Special Edition in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Simpson's Luxury Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Ten!
PSX_20200926_074742.jpg

Pre-shave:- Pears Green
Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Br
ush:- Body Shop Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- Cella
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Supermax
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Great shave, perfect razor, blade and cream 10/10

20.jpg

Razor: Brass Karve SB A plate
Blade: Feather
Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Glycerin soap face wash, Crown Pre Shave
Brush: Zenith Kotibe Wood Premium Silvertip Shave Brush 24.5 mm P9
Soap: B & M Reserve Classic
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Stick, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.5/10 Very good BBS two pass shave, but had weepers on chin and neck. Going to change to different blade tomorrow.

Sunday Shave

Hot Shower then-
Razor - Bambaw.
Blade - Astra Platinum.
Brush - Whisky Barrel Synthetic.
Soap - Pringle & Fairweather Sandalwood.
Aftershave - Nivea Sensitive.

Rating 9/10. Third use of blade, but disappointed with the lather today. First time with that soap after putting some hot water on top while I was in the Shower. Nevertheless the shave was still good with no nicks or irritation.
Sunday Shave.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom