What's new

Got my first razor 😀 Can someone help a newbie, Cannot get spots out.

So I took the leap and picked up a straight razor earlier this week and I am trying to get it back to something I will be pleased to shave with.

I have been sanding away with 220 and 320 sandpaper and I have some spots that do not look like thy are cleaning up. I was wondering if I will be able to get them clean or if this is as good as it gets. Any suggestions would be great.

You will see spots not sure what they are called on the heal of the blade and the tang by the stamps. I would like to know what these spots are called and how(if) I can get rid of them.

This is a 4/8 and thought it perfect first shaver but I am not happy with the dirty look it has right now.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

RunSub4

Attachments

• 3E2FFDC0-AEAB-4D0C-87DC-E4C03071F119.jpeg
    3E2FFDC0-AEAB-4D0C-87DC-E4C03071F119.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • E68CB540-8BC3-4A07-8D04-04E29BA3FA82.jpeg
    E68CB540-8BC3-4A07-8D04-04E29BA3FA82.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
From the look of things, those spots are corrosion putting of the steel. The only way to remove them to a smooth shining finish is to remove the steel surrounding them to bring everything down to an even surface.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. It is only aesthetics and will not affect the shave quality. Just keep the steel oiled in between uses to prevent further deterioration.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There also appears to be some pitting on or very near the edge on the face side about 20mm to 30mm from the toe. This may present a problem with the finished edge. You will really only know when you shave with it.

As a first SR, this current one may not be the best/easiest for you. You should consider a new Gold Dollar 208 of Titan ACMR-2. Either will still require honing to shave-ready, as your current SR will, but there should be no problems with corrosion. The Gold Dollar and Titan are both available on AliExpress for under USD 20 each

Legion

Staff member
It is antique. The aged look is not an issue, IMO. If you want to make it more polished, use autosol or MAAS or whatever. But the dark spots are what show its age, and that is fine.

I too tried to make my old razors shine like a new pin when I started. I quickly learned that that was a waste of energy.

It’s pitting. If it’s shallow then going at it with a lower grit can get it smooth. It it’s too deep may not be worth it cuz you’ll have to remove a lot of metal. Always fun to give it a go when learning. There’s nothing more satisfying than seeing the razor that u imagine. Thing is it’s a small and thin razor to begin with and it looks pretty good in the pics. Just needs more fine sanding and buffing. Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom