What's new

Sir Winston coming back?

Hi, I see that Bull Goose is out of the Sir Winston soap, and see they are on vacation for a bit, eh I don't blame them. Are there plans to bring the soap back? 2 weeks of sales is great for the companies, both vendor and maker, I get it, but I'd love to try a puck of it to compare to the BB soap I got, see thread below.

imho, nothing comes close to original BB!

penhaligon blenheim bouquet gillette abc kent september 30 2015.jpg

Hi, I see that Bull Goose is out of the Sir Winston soap, and see they are on vacation for a bit, eh I don't blame them. Are there plans to bring the soap back? 2 weeks of sales is great for the companies, both vendor and maker, I get it, but I'd love to try a puck of it to compare to the BB soap I got, see thread below.

i think your thread link didnt resolve.

i think i read it wasnt an LE

It sold out almost immediately when it was first available, so I emailed Bullgoose to ask if more was on the way, and Phil said yes, the producer is making more.
Now that I helped you out, don't get ahead of me in line when they reopen... 🤣

I am enjoying Sir Winston. Basically, it is lemon forward with lavender. The scent notes mention black pepper but for me it is definitely in the background. I normally order my soap with the matching aftershave and I did so in this instance. I am glad I did. This is a very nice scent that I continue to enjoy post shave. I cannot say whether this scent is an accurate recreation of the famed Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon as I have never used any product with that scent. @dcbahr I would enjoy hearing a comparison when you have the opportunity.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Pardon the thread resucitation...I have minimal experience with 'artisan' soaps and creams. Blenheim Bouquet is one of my two signature scents. I use the EdT and the aftershave balm all the time. The hard soap and the cream have been out of production, or at least out of stock for several years now. So when Bullgoose started selling Gentleman's Nod Sir Winston soap and aftershave, knockoffs of Blenheim Bouquet, I bought one of each. Black Friday, 2021 to be exact.

In the 15 months since buying it I've used it no more than once a month, so about 15 times. I don't remember exactly how many times, so to be charitable I'll say 20 times, although I know that's a high number. I've always used a synthetic brush with it, never larger than 24mm. I don't load heavily-I like a thin, wet lather. And a two pass shave is my standard. The soap is almost gone. I've never owned a soap or a cream that has disappeared as quickly as this one has done. When the doughnut hole first appeared I was surprised, but once it appeared the tub emptied quickly. There are probably no more than 4, maybe 5 shaves left from this 4oz tub.

Is this unusual, or is this fairly common for artisan soft soaps? I like the soap, and would consider buying it again, but only getting 25 shaves out of a $25 container of soap is ridiculous.

Is this unusual, or is this fairly common for artisan soft soaps? I like the soap, and would consider buying it again, but only getting 25 shaves out of a $25 container of soap is ridiculous.
That doesn't sound normal, the worst I have heard is 50. Some "artisans" have casually mentioned that the tubs are intended for an average of 80 shaves, I can likely get more if I ever find the bottom. I wonder, have you monitored the level of the soap from when you put it away to when you took it back out? It sounds like they didn't cure that soap correctly, but it might be because it's full of butters. Strange.

Owen Bawn

Thanks. Now that you mention it the soap did seem to flatten in the container over the first few months I owned it. Like a fallen cake. I know several other B&B men enjoy the soap and probably have or had some from the same production run as mine, but I've never seen anyone complain...but me.

Thanks. Now that you mention it the soap did seem to flatten in the container over the first few months I owned it. Like a fallen cake. I know several other B&B men enjoy the soap and probably have or had some from the same production run as mine, but I've never seen anyone complain...but me.
This is the unfortunate side affect of only using a soap occasionally. I have heard of these artisans occasionally replacing a defective soap, but you would probably need to have used it daily for a month to notice and contact them ASAP. I am guessing these are hot poured into container and left to cure, I am also guessing the actual amount of soap that made it into the container was half or a third of what it should have been(presumably not mixed well). It sounds like a sloppy operation.

Owen Bawn

This is the unfortunate side affect of only using a soap occasionally. I have heard of these artisans occasionally replacing a defective soap, but you would probably need to have used it daily for a month to notice and contact them ASAP. I am guessing these are hot poured into container and left to cure, I am also guessing the actual amount of soap that made it into the container was half or a third of what it should have been(presumably not mixed well). It sounds like a sloppy operation.
Thanks for your insight. It's a shame, because the soap performs well and the scent is quite close to the Penhaligon's original. I'm generally a fan of inexpensive hard soaps and I also use a few soft Italian soaps. I shy away from most expensive soaps because it all goes down the drain and I'd rather invest in posh colognes where of course the scent lasts longer. That said, I'd be willing to pay a bit more than I usually do for a soap or cream that smells like Blenheim Bouquet, but not if it's significantly more expensive per ounce than the original!

Sir Winston was made by Gentleman's Nod for Bullgoose. Gentleman's Nod makes a top tier soap in my opinion--based on the metrics I consider. Largely, this is the performance of the soap, the lather it creates, how my face feels after and the scent. Using these criteria, the Cardinal v. 4 base (the most current base to my knowledge) is excellent. Sir Winston was made in one of the Cardinal iterations--I don't recall which. The ones I have experienced have all been good to excellent. One thing I did notice is that Sir Winston came in a 4 oz. tub. Gentleman's Nod appears to make its other soaps in 5 oz tubs.

I finished a tub several months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was nothing defective about it. It was excellent. The scent of Sir Winston is exquisite IMHO. It seems to be no longer available. I would purchase it again if that should change.

How long a soap lasts is pretty far down on my list of things to consider when purchasing a shaving soap. Frankly, I don't even give it much thought. For me, it is mostly about performance and scent. Shaving soap is a luxury item for me--something I use to savor and enjoy. YMMV and should.

Last edited:
Top Bottom