What's new

Wakasa Jnat - Experimenting

I have been experimenting with my Wakasa. I haven’t been getting the best edges that I want. I noticed that I haven’t been using much pressure in the beginning stages of the slurry. I just noticed since I have been using moderate pressure on the beginning slurry, I am starting to get swarf. I diluted to a misty slurry and used no pressure at the finishing stage. So I do moderate pressure on the first slurry —-> Lighter pressure after a little diluting —-> No pressure on misty slurry at the finishing stage.

I’m hoping this will improve my edges and make them keener. I noticed that I wasn’t getting swarf the last few times I was honing. Learning this little buggard of Jnat.

Remember that slurry is abrasive. Too much/too muddy of a slurry of it can round off an edge. What kind of stone do you use before your jnat? If you are jumping straight off your 1k, more slurry can be justified imo. But then you kind of have to "land" the edge, ease up on preassure after using preassure on the same amount off slurry and keep it wet. Don't really have to put focus on diluting as long as it's not muddy, it breaks down over time and becomes finer.

When I got my first jnat I generated slurry with a 400 atoma. While the edge looked clean it lacked sharpness and refinement. Slurry was too coarse and used probably too much slurry aswell.

Remember that slurry is abrasive. Too much/too muddy of a slurry of it can round off an edge. What kind of stone do you use before your jnat? If you are jumping straight off your 1k, more slurry can be justified imo. But then you kind of have to "land" the edge, ease up on preassure after using preassure on the same amount off slurry and keep it wet. Don't really have to put focus on diluting as long as it's not muddy, it breaks down over time and becomes finer.

When I got my first jnat I generated slurry with a 400 atoma. While the edge looked clean it lacked sharpness and refinement. Slurry was too coarse and used probably too much slurry aswell.

I have been using a cotie and then Jnat. Thanks for the reply.

Are you getting "+" HHT after the Coti work? How are you generating slurry on your Wakasa?

I do tree top hairs after the cotie. I use a tomo. I May not be spending enough time on them too. I think I may need more time in general. About 15 minutes working the slurry.

I find in general it takes longer to break down slurry if I'm honing w/tape on the spine, you might try adding a good quality Mejiro nagura after your Coti work then proceed to tomo.
If your Wakasa is grit dense you could also use a diamond plate to generate your first slurry in place of the Mejiro, break that down and then on to your tomo.
IMHO the only way to know how long to hone on a given slurry is experience, there is a need to be able to feel when a slurry breaks and how far you can go on it. When I hone w/tape it is always longer.

Yes!!! I think I cracked the code. I actually took the Wakasa back to the lapping area. I lapped at 80 grit and ended on 800 grit. Wow what a smooth stone now. The edge I got off of my Japanese cutthroat was amazing. Very smooth and sharp!

Ok I just refreshed an edge and finished on plain water for about 3 minutes. Man! This edge is screaming sharp now. Can’t wait to test it.

I just picked up a Wakasa from Keith too, all I can say is WOW. I've been in pursuit of more keen-ness for quite a while and just couldn't seem to coax it out of the few coticules I've owned, my black ark, trans ark, or a little Kiita jnat that I ended up letting go of...speaking of, is that one still working for you Biglo13?

I've done a little tomo nagura work with this Wasaka for a touch up on one razor and some plain water too for a couple of razors that were giving just "OK" shaves and they have been the keenest/smoothest edges I've ever gotten from a stone. This stone has been a game changer for me already.

I just picked up a Wakasa from Keith too, all I can say is WOW. I've been in pursuit of more keen-ness for quite a while and just couldn't seem to coax it out of the few coticules I've owned, my black ark, trans ark, or a little Kiita jnat that I ended up letting go of...speaking of, is that one still working for you Biglo13?

I've done a little tomo nagura work with this Wasaka for a touch up on one razor and some plain water too for a couple of razors that were giving just "OK" shaves and they have been the keenest/smoothest edges I've ever gotten from a stone. This stone has been a game changer for me already.

Awesome!

That kitta is awesome, my favorite jnat. It likes diamond slurry. I need to lapp it. I want a bigger one! Good to hear wakasa is working out.

That kitta is awesome, my favorite jnat. It likes diamond slurry. I need to lapp it. I want a bigger one! Good to hear wakasa is working out.
It was a great little stone. I'm still not sure why I wasn't able to get a better edge from it. It was hella fast tho, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom